close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone here use their Glock for wild boar hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tommy Gunn, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn 1911 user

Anyone use the Glock-21?

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Nope, way underpowered for wild boar.

The 'Nuge uses a G20 with a 6" barrel.

3. SSC

SSC

Yes, glock 17

4. Ginny

Ginny Ammo Slinger

A Glock 21 w/ heavy duty spring and .45 Super would do the trick!;f

5. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

6. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

We have several hog hunters in the Hunting fishing and Camping forum as 10mmGuy has suggested.

Ask over there please.

And yeah, unless you add a 40Super barrel to that G21 and some 24 # recoil springs, all you could do is get 100 stitches up your leg becuase 45 ACP is not never ever was designed as a hunting caliber.

7. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Where do you shoot in Seattle?

I'm at WSI in Bellevue and Seattle Police Range in Tukwila.

8. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

"100 stitches up your leg..."

Not unless you can't shoot. At close range with proper shot placement, 45 ACP is perfectly capable of slaying hogs.

Duncan is one among many here who believe feral hogs turn into man-eating tigers if shot with anything less than calibers suitable for African big game... :>)

Put the shot right and they will go down. I wish we could somehow stage a hog hunt and videotape it, and I would be glad to demonstrate, even with a .40.

The guys around here stick them with knives for fun, and consider a pistol almost cheating!

Take Care,
    BKD

9. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

I take it you don't recommend taking a .40 hunting for hogs?

Eagle

10. glockboy9mm

glockboy9mm Meangreen34

ummmmmmmmmmm..... wild boar

[​IMG]

Lets EAT!

11. glockboy9mm

glockboy9mm Meangreen34

Yes, I would like some more please!

[​IMG]

Doggy bag please but its not for the dog. ;)

[​IMG]

;c ;f

12. GQMedic

GQMedic Glock-n-roll

Oh boy. Of course you can use your Glock for wild boar if you so choose. Hell, I BOWHUNT wind boar and I KNOW my Glock .40 packs far more destrustive power than my Hoyt UltraTec bow with a 60 lb draw with 299 grain carbon shafts w/ broadheads and my bow kills quite effeciently. Anyone who tells you NO, you can't because these calibers were not meant for hunting, well, thier just not seeing the big picture here. (Which reminds me of the song "Here's your sign".)

38, 357, 9mm .40 .45, 10mm. ALL these calibers will sooooo snuff a wild boar... BIG TIME.... As far as worrying about recieving 100 stitches from an encounter described as Glock -v- Boar. Try shooting the thing in the kill zone and not in the "hiney". *smirk* Jeeze... If you can get a lung and or heart shot, that is a dead hog! No if-ands-or butts about it...

Anyway, have fun hog hunting. It's quite exciting. If you want to add to the thrill, try it with a bow. It's addictive, otherwise, GLOCK the buggar!

-Dennis

Back to the TOP 40- *singing* "We will, we will, GLOCK YOU!"

13. GQMedic

GQMedic Glock-n-roll

Oh yeah! SUPPER TIME!

Damn, I'm trying to grab a serving but I keep jamming my fingers up on the monitor!

14. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

15. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

But what if something goes wrong? I've killed hogs with 9mm pistols and .458 Lott rifles and most everything in between. So pistol hunting hogs does work.
    I posted this elsewhere but it fits here too. I shot a boar in the head with a .270 rifle from some distance. The bullet bounced off of his skull. My brother put him down with a .264mag. chest shot.
    Another time I had to shoot a fairly small sow in the head twice with 12 guage slugs at very close range.
    As a kid I was lucky enough to hunt hogs/jack rabbits/coyotes and other varmints most every day in Texas. I don't have an accurate count but I'm sure I've killed more than a 1,000 hogs. Seventeen of which weighed roughly 500 or more pounds-2 of the 17 were close to six hundred pounds. I would not have shot any of the big boars with a pistol-from the ground.
    Big old boars have "skin" around their chest that is about two inches thick (perfect for slowing already slow pistol bullets). If you shoot one with a little rifle say a .243 or so and you hit him in the shoulder or head he often just gets pissed off. One of my best friends was saved by his dog after he shot a very large sow in the chest with a .44 magnum rifle-that jammed after the first shot.
    Hurt hogs are scary.

I guess part of my worry about pistol hunting hogs is that pistol hunting in the areas I hunt is just not doable (without dogs). The country is too wide open and the hogs are way too smart to let a man walk to within even fifty yards most times. There are no tall trees to get in either. We used to hunt from windmills but the hogs got wise fast.
    I guess the fire-power of a autoloader pistol makes sense too.

Added for clarity-
    Four of the five biggest boars I've killed were taken in the Ukraine. Several of the other biggest in Mexico. Funny the "Russians" look just alike everywhere.

16. GQMedic

GQMedic Glock-n-roll

What if something goes wrong? Shoot the hog AGAIN! When hunting ANY game that can "fight back" if your shot placement is poor is a risk you MUST accept in hunting that game. Firstly, never shoot at anything other than the kill zone. If you've not got a clear shot on the kill zone, don't shoot. Wait until the kill zone is presented. If that doesn't happen and the hog wonders out of range for a clean kill, simply continue hunting. In regards to shoulder shots. This is a VERY poor choice for shot placement and a sign of either a premature shot or total inexperience. Never take a shoulder shot, ever. Once again, KILL ZONE ONLY, if you can't hit the kill zone, don't shoot. There's alot to be said about thinking your shot out, and "one shot, one kill". Be GOOD at what your trying to do, if your not comfortable with your accuracy, no problem! Shoot at the range some more, also, there are MANY game targets that can be purchased at hunting type stores and even archery shops that you can hone your skills at kill zone shooting to become quite reflexive in your shot aquisition.

Plan your hunt, hunt your plan and expect change and adapt. Solve your doubts and issues PRE-HUNT, at the range. All this being done, enjoy a great hunt and the meat that you will harvest on a sucessfull hog hunt and believe me, these wild boar are delicious and well worth hunting them down. NOw your talking REAL FOOD!

-Dennis

17. clouddancer79

clouddancer79

Sorry for asking a dumbass question but... where is the killzone?

18. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

Kill zone highlighted red area.
    [​IMG]

19. clouddancer79

clouddancer79

20. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

I recently killed a farm hog for butchering with a G36. It was a Hornady 200 gr xtp at 10 yds in the neck and dropped him in his tracks. Now, I'm not saying that that gun would be good for hunting mean, wild hogs, I'm just tellin a story. If I wanted to use a Glock for hog hunting (which I plan to do) my first choice would be my G20 10mm with some of my handloads. Second choice would be the G21 with some hot loaded 200 gr Hornadys. My shot would be about 25 yds and I would probably be backed up by someone with a longgun because we hoghunt in groups. I have confidence that with the right shot placement, a large hog could be taken cleanly with the 10mm ot the right 45acp. Another method would be hunting from a treestand to be safe, hogs don't climb trees. (I don't think). I have killed a couple of Hogs, one with a 30-30 and a couple with a bow, pistol is next.