close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone here use the .303 Savage?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sixgun_Symphony, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Interesting chambering for the Savage M99. It uses a 190gr bullet, so its got alot of sectional density for a .30 caliber round. It was popular for elk and moose back in the first half of the 20th century.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.savage99.com/

2. tjpet

tjpet

I've got one in the safe but have never killed anything with it. Bought it from an oldtimer that needed drink money. He'd been a sheepherder back in the 30's and 40's in the local mts. Said it was just the ticket for deer, elk, bear, etc. I told him he was welcome to take it out whenever the meat ran low but he never did and died a few years later.

3. thisaway

thisaway

My brother has a M1899 Saddle-ring Carbine in .303. He doesn't shoot it much, but it is a very easy-shooting rifle. It would be a great deer rifle for hunting in the mountains 'round here.

4. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Don't have a .303, but I have a .300 that my grandfather actually built ( he was a gunsmith in the Utica Savage plant) ! He gave it to my grandfather, who in turn gave it to my father , who in turn gave it to me! Three out of four generations of Men in my family have taken Deer or Bear with that gun, and the fourth one has many, MANY years to accomplish this!

5. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

anyone know about what a person would get for the barrel and fore end of a savage .303 takedown model? nygunman has one and is wondering. thanks!!;f