Glock Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
After a very long hiatus from my old friend, the S&W 29, I'll be getting another one here very soon. Had one back in the late 70s and sold it, should have never done it.
Anyway, I have been using AA# 5 for my .45acp hardball loads and was wondering if I could use some of this with the load data I'm seeing for mild to moderate- 1000-1250fps loads in the 29 for .44 mag. loads with a 240gr. cast bullet.

Anyone have any experience with how it works for them in their .44mag. loads?

Thanks!

P.S.
I used Unique back then, if I can find some at a gun show soon, I'll probably get some.

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Hi guys,
After a very long hiatus from my old friend, the S&W 29, I'll be getting another one here very soon. Had one back in the late 70s and sold it, should have never done it.
Anyway, I have been using AA# 5 for my .45acp hardball loads and was wondering if I could use some of this with the load data I'm seeing for mild to moderate- 1000-1250fps loads in the 29 for .44 mag. loads with a 240gr. cast bullet.

Anyone have any experience with how it works for them in their .44mag. loads?

Thanks!

P.S.
I used Unique back then, if I can find some at a gun show soon, I'll probably get some.
WIsh I could help, but I've never used it for 44 Mag. I've always used Unique or Win 231 for plinker loads and Win 296 for booming and zooming loads.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
It has been a really long time since I used it in .44RM. I don't have access to my load records, but if I recall correctly, #5 could hustle 240gr slugs up there pretty good, not W296/H110 territory, but not 44 Special loads either. Should work fine for anything animate you plan to shoot.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Western Powders website does not list any load data for # 5 in 44 magnum, but they do for 44 special. It looks like that would be way under 1000 fps, even at max.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf
They may feel it is too fast for optimal 44RM velocities, but the reason max load 44 Special is so anemic velocity wise is max pressure for 44Special is less than half that of 44RM. I will try and find the box I had the load data in, IIRC, my max #5 loads with 240gr slugs was like 1250fps out of a 5" barrel, maybe a little better.

· Registered
494 Posts
I have AA#5 but feel it's a bit too fast for .44RM. I use Unique, H-110, and for big, heavy bullets 2400. AA#9 is a good powder for .44RM, too. It's fairly low-pressure and a therefore pushes the bullet a bit slower than some others.

· U S Veteran
2,472 Posts
I've used AA #7 and #9 for my 44 mag reloads, but I have never tried #5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.