Anyone here read the book 'Moonwalking with Einstein'?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

No one? Aha! Great book so far. Written by a US memory champion, it tells the story of how mnemonics came into play for remembering things. From the times of the ancient Romans and Greeks to the modern era. Fascinating.

Oh, surprisingly, it helps to have a dirty mind to remember stuff using this method ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

3. oldengineer

oldengineer

My old man was also an engineer and used to "encourage" me to improve myself when I was a kid. He bought a machine that had a moving screen that would cover the pages of a book at a selected rate in order to teach me to speed read. He also had me read a book about how to memorize lists by associating objects with a memorized group of key words. The first 10 words were Tea, Noah, May, Ray, Law, Shaw, Key, Fee, Bay, Tease. So if you were to memorize the Presidents you'd think of Washington drinking a cup of tea, Adams (like Adam) talking with Noah, etc.

I didn't like having to do that stuff when I was 10 but I ended up with a much higher than average memory which helped me throughout my life.

crockett and Detectorist like this.
  4. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

Good for you. That's great! The ancient Greeks and Romans considered having a great memory as part of being a cultured person. Since books were very scarce, they would memorize whole books.

As I mentioned before, I think, lol, I just got through the chapter where he describes memorizing a group of 15 unrelated things. I was able to do that with ease and even recite them backwards. I have never, previously, been able to do that in my life.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. tjpet

tjpet

When i was going to college in the 70s there was a speed reading/memory course by Evelyn Wood that a lot of my friends took. It was on the order of $50 which was one hell of a lot of money for a student at that time. Not one of them, not one, ever got anything out of it that improved their reading speed or memory capacity. From what i've seen you've either got it or you don't.

7. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

How many words a minute do you have to hit to be considered a speed reader?

8. powernoodle

powernoodle

I read it on Kindle. Its great. I need to read it again. Its amazing what the mind can do.

Detectorist likes this.
  9. Detectorist

Detectorist

Read the book. This guy is the real deal. You won't be disappointed. There were many things in the 70s that didn't work. As I mentioned before, after learning the method, I memorized a 15 item list of unrelated things and I can recite them backwards or forward....

10. nursetim

nursetim

Look up the dirty way to remember the 12 cranial nerves. :supergrin:

Detectorist likes this.