close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Here Playing Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines?

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by fastvfr, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I have finally found a copy of the game and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The funny thing is, alot of people with better graphics cards that I have are having performance issues.

Where I occasionally have a bit of lag and framerates in the 50's falling to 25 at times, they are stuttering and lagging all the time, apparently. There is a patch to fix these and other bugs.

Anyway, the story is excellent so far and the graphics (from HL2 engine) are very nice...though from playing both I assure you that it is obvious who created the engine and who licensed it! HL2 is a bit more polished for sure.

Some issues I have noticed:

You have to add XP to your skills before you can accomplish some feats. Normally there are no problems with that, except that under this system it'll take seven or eight blasts with the Ithaca 12 ga. -head shots at point-blank range- to stop an enemy you can kill with three or four punches! That is, until you have three or more levels of Firearms proficiency under your belt...then they put buckshot in the shells instead of confetti. Don't even ask about the .38...;Q

The levels are challenging and the gameplay is quite open...but that sometimes results in your finishing quests BEFORE they are assigned! I have done so twice, and can't figure out how to get credit for accomplishing them.

There are several side quests (and a few main quest segments) where you cannot win. The plot revolves around your failure, so if you decide to play this title, don't let that worry you.

There are some random glitches, and the combat controls are a bit lacking...these flaws, along with enemies sometimes being able to move waaaay too fast and often being too numerous or near-invincible in a fight, make you wonder if some of the battles are even POSSIBLE without God mode.

This can get frustrating, but since it is running from the HL2 engine, though, I understand the cheat codes are identical for the most part.

Good luck to you if you want to try Bloodlines, and let us know what you think of it if you already have it!

2. Godfather

Godfather

Yep, my roommate got it. I think we had our hopes way too high b/c we have both been very dissapointed with it. The conversations are weak to say the least, and the quests overlap the free exploration (if you talk to someone they will mention something about a quest that you know nothing about yet).

As for the performance issues...
    We both have deciently beefy PC's and have both noticed alot of glitches, ranging from lag to artifacts. Usually my pc is fubared when I exit the game, causing me to reboot.

IMO they seriously rushed this game. It has GREAT potential, and has it's fun factor, but they bassically sent out what ammounts to a bad beta version.

If you know about any patches or updates let me know.

BTW there is a glitch that allows you to set all your skills all the way up whe creating your vamp at the start of the game.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/patch/ for the 1.2 version...didn't do much in the way of fixing glitches for me, though.

I hear that Troika has been releasing buggy games left and right lately...that's too bad. I hope they get their act together soon, before they get boycotted.

It seems likely that they had a longer game at some point, but added difficult beasties and a bunch of side quests and took out whole levels just to make the completion of an expansion (or a whole other title;g ;Q ) quicker and easier for them, a'la HL3.

And yeah, I heard about the Attributes Glitch.;P

Maybe they'll get better at coding for the HL2 engine before the next installment. If so, I might get it...but I will let someone else do the Beta testing for me this time!!;f

4. Godfather

Godfather

Yeah, I feel like they had a great game going with a great engine, but somehow royaly dropped the ball. I think the only goal they set was to be ready before HL2.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Precisely.

Rush it out the door in time for Chrismas '04, the customers be damned. Only the profits matter.

When will these studios learn that we, unlike the majority of voters, tend to REMEMBER crap like this?!?

Their next game will have 10/10 on all the ratings sites, AND I'll play it at a client's house before they get another $0.01 from me.

6. Godfather

Godfather

;z That's what I'm talking about! I guess the pre-release reviews fooled you too. Damn those mags out to make a quick buck from the developers.