Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm talking about one like you would see in an old western or something you would imagine being in an Amish familys house. Do they still make them? I guess they are also used for heat? When I was younger, we had a wood stove for heat, but it wasn't for cooking. I just think it would be neat to be able to cook on one every once in a while.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Had one in an old hunting club I belonged to. We cooked on it and heated the place w/it at night. They work quite well and are still available.

Mike

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
There are a lot of options for wood-burning cooking stoves. I use a Kitchen Queen in my Vermont cabin for both heating, hot water, and cooking.

Obadiah's Wood Stoves carries a lot of different brands:
http://www.woodstoves.net/cookstoves.htm

·
NRA Benefactor
5,559 Posts
Had one in an old hunting club I belonged to. We cooked on it and heated the place w/it at night. They work quite well and are still available.

Mike
Same here and loved it.

·
Eh?
11,817 Posts
This one is old, my grandmother used to use it, and she died in the 60's

·
Eh?
11,817 Posts

·
It ain't over
8,275 Posts
Yah - I've used one a lot. It's in our hunting shack in N. WI. We fire it up every morning for breakfast and heat. We have a wood stove that provides most of the heat. But, the cook stove is nice for breakfast.

The top offers different temperatures - if you want your skillet hotter, move it closer to the fire and vice versa.

There's always a kettle or two of water, for dishes, simmering on that old stove.

·
Mountain Man
6,921 Posts
Yes - mine was made in 1905 or 06 if I recall correctly. I used this wood stove exclusively for the first six months or so that I lived in this house. When summer hit, I started using our "modern" cook-stove - a 1950s (52 or 53) Wedgwood gas (propane) stove. These days we don't cook on it a lot, but it is fun to cook on. The top picture (below) we took in 2010 when we had friends over; and cooked dinner and cookies in the wood stove.

·
6,997 Posts
My grandma had a wood stove and for what ever reason, the food, no matter what it was, tasted better when cooked on it. (Especially bacon!!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pesticidal,

Love that waffle maker on top of the stove, been watching e-bay for one. Found several but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
A wood cookstove?

What's to keep the whole thing from just catching on fire?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I hear a lot of you guys talkin' 'bout these labor intense cooking devices but how do you think the women would feel about using them again?

The last time I can remember seeing one in actual use was my grandmother's back in the late '70's (the 1970's:supergrin:)!

I don't remember anyone using the cook stoves in the kitchen for heat so someone has to get up eraly enough to start the fire and let the stove get warm even before the cooking got under way.

We had a fireplace and a stove in opposing rooms that shared the same chimney that could be loaded with either slow burning coal or wood to keep the fire going overnight to keep things warm until morning, providing that it was not sub-zero temps.

Ah, the good ol' days......NOT!

·
Agitator
2,779 Posts
Yes - mine was made in 1905 or 06 if I recall correctly. I used this wood stove exclusively for the first six months or so that I lived in this house. When summer hit, I started using our "modern" cook-stove - a 1950s (52 or 53) Wedgwood gas (propane) stove. These days we don't cook on it a lot, but it is fun to cook on. The top picture (below) we took in 2010 when we had friends over; and cooked dinner and cookies in the wood stove.

Very cool pics. Looks like a great place to hang out.

·
Premium Member
26,091 Posts
I bought one a couple yrs back.

Just last week I was in a cabin in CO that had a nice one in it. Side water tank, oven, warming area.
What I don't like is they can't handle large pieces of wood. It takes lots of smaller stuff. So like in this cabin they had a wood (furnace) (with electric blower to make it slightly more efficent) for heat and the wood stove for heating water,cooking/oven.

·
Watcher.
40,595 Posts
We got wood stoves we can cook on,not ones that are designed as "primary" cookers.'08.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts