Anyone here bench with chains?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, May 8, 2007.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Via Westside Barbell I decided to invest in some 5/8" chains for benching. It just makes sense to me.

I'm going to start doing a speed day (Dynamic effort) with the chains. This will be at about 55% of my 1RM, plus the chains.

For my heavy day I started doing a bench program by Rick Weil, so I'm going to skip the chains for that day. Rick seems to know what he is talking about, IIRC he was the first guy to bench 3x bodyweight.

Anyone here ever try chains? If so, did you get positive results?

BTW, 5/8" chain is HUGE stuff! Puts hair on your chest just looking at it.

2. ranberndt

ranberndt

yep. Been using them since 2000.

Once you use them for a year or so, you'll switch over to jumpstretch bands.

The chains built my base. The bands took me to the next level.

my advice...if you are going to use conjugate periodization ala Westside. do it as they do it. do NOT blend 2 or 3 different programs. stay strict for the 1st year, then start monkeying around.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Chains here my friend!:thumbsup:

Have you tried the rubber straps? They add alot of resistant to your bench or squats as well.:thumbsup:

4. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Chains and bands are great. They make you much faster. I bought my chains at a junkyard - 120 pounds of chain for $40. I suggest not using the bands for more than two or three weeks in a row, as they tend to be hard on the joints. Using contrast is especially well-suited for those who lift with equipment.

5. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Wow, didn't realize others here were using them.

I did order a set of light bands too, the purple ones.

Its hard to find chain that big around here. Luckily theres a ship yard on the coast that had them.

Might try to incorporate the chains into my DL too.

6. DBradD

DBradD Guest

Shows my ignorance. I thought the guys in the gym were just showing off trying to make a bunch of noise for the girls. :rofl: :rofl:

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

My take is this; IN the Westside Protocol they have a day devoted do "Dynamic Effort". On DE day the idea is to take a lighter weight and move it as fast and explosively as possible for multiple sets of 2 or 3 reps. I think this is akin to Compensatory Acceleration Training. To keep moving the bar at full speed throughout the lingth of the lift, some find it helpful to add chains or bands. Without the additional wieght of the chains or bands, the trainee wwould have to slow down at the end of the stroke to stop from throwing the bar.

8. DBradD

DBradD Guest

It makes sense now that I think about it.

This thread should be cross-referenced to the "anybody ever make fun of you" thread. In my mind, I was making fun of the guys at the gym using chains. Turns out I was the dumb-ars. :rofl:

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I've just used chains for micro-weights. Nothing like what you guys are talking about. Guess I might have something new to learn (again).