close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone heard of "Panosteitis"?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by solie, Feb 27, 2006.

1. solie

solie

Well the other day my 6 month old GSD Cooper couldn't walk. His back legs wouldn't support his weight. It was like he was paralyzed. He didn't act like he was in pain. We took him to the vet immediately but they were closing up. They asked us to come back the next morning for some x-rays. We took him back the next morning and they took the x-rays. We then found out that he has Panosteitis. Basicallly were told that he was eating the wrong type of food(Puppy Chow, which the breeder told us to use) and was getting TOO much excercise. His back legs were growing to fast for the rest of his body. So we switched his food to Nutra Natural Choice for Large Breed Puppies which is also a controlled growth formula. He is on bed rest for the next month. Also come to find out, Cooper's litter mates that the breeder kept also has this condition. He was also using Puppy Chow. So my advice is DON'T USE PUPPY CHOW!!!

Anyway's here's a couple of articles about Panosteitis.

Panosteitis: This disorder occurs when the normal process of bone degeneration and resorption fails to occur. As a result, there is an excess formation and thickening of bone. This condition most commonly affects the long bones of either the front (humerus) or hind (femur or tibia) limbs. Males have a higher risk than females for panosteitis.

Age of onset: 4-18 months

Cause: The inflammatory process responsible for panosteitis is poorly understood, however, overnutrition and rapid growth are factors widely accepted as playing roles in the development of this disorder.

Symptoms: Panosteitis is characterized by a sudden onset of intermittent lameness that may last for a few days or several weeks with the possibility of recurrence throughout cycles of growth. The lameness may be mild to moderate, may shift from one limb to another, and is unaffected by rest or exercise. Applying pressure to the bone-shaft of the affected limb usually produces an evident pain response. Lethargy and loss of appetite may also occur. In dogs with frequent recurrence or persistence of symptoms, there may be muscle atrophy of the affected limb.

Diagnosis: Radiographic evidence of panosteitis will be absent in early or mild cases of the disorder. In more advanced or moderate cases, areas of increased bone density within the shaft of the affected bone will be evident on x-ray.

Treatment: Corticosteroids, buffered-aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories may be used to reduce pain but have not otherwise been reported to noticeably influence the course or outcome of the disease.

Prognosis: Panosteitis resolves itself and symptoms usually cease by the time the dog reaches 18-24 months of age.

Here's another link.
    http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/depano.html

2. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Thanks for the warning. I hope he gets better soon!

;g

;8 ;I

3. HarlDane

HarlDane

Hope he is feeling better. Slow growth is essential to the healthy growth of a large breed dog. I know with my Dane pup I have to keep him on a food under 23% protien and 12% fat. I'm not sure about your GSD but I would guess somewhere in the 25% protien and 14% fat would be good. I'm glad you found out about the dangers of a bad diet now while he is a pup. Long term use of cheap pet food can lead to serious health problems.

4. solie

solie

He seems to be doing better. The vet said to minimize his activities, but it's been a pain trying to keep him from running around and jumping all the time. But I know it's hard for him going from an active pup to an inactive pup. The vet also gave us some meds which on the box it says it for osteoarthritis. I think it's called previcox.
    Just wanted to keep everyone posted.

Matt

5. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

It's sometimes referred to as "growing pains." It's common in large breed, fast growing, dogs. It is most common in German Shepherd Dogs. It happened to our male Bullmastiff at about 6 months (if I remember correctly) and it was very scary. Our healthy pup went to sleep one night, completely healthy, and woke up the next morning not being able to move his rear legs. The vet put him on pain killers, and the problem went away on its own, with no reoccurence. Hopefully you have the same outcome with your pup.:cool:

6. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

The food that you switched to (Nutro Natural Choice, Large Breed Puppy Formula) is an excellent choice for your pup. ^c

Check this link out for a good money saving program that Nutro has:
    http://www.nutroproducts.com/fbpnutroReg.asp

7. michaelj1978

michaelj1978

As an owner of a large breed dog, Shiloh Shepherd, I feed my dog Eagle Pack large breed puppy. It was recommended by my breeder, the breed founder, as well as this woman

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles.htm

who has years of experience breeding great danes. The Eagle Pack stuff is all natural with no preservatives and is good stuff. It's also only about $1 a pound. Not bad for quality dog food. My puppy just turned 4 months and 54lbs last Sunday. He eats 2 cups, 3 times per day and no signs of pano so far.