Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, let’s not get into the usual debate about why would anyone want one? To each their own and I want to know what folks think.

I’m wondering if anyone has had the Ten-Ring external thumb safety installed and was it quality work? I’m a fan of external safeties and was thinking of having it done to my Gen.3 G26.

Again, (and I know it’s probably fruitless), please don’t comment unless you have had it done. Thanks!

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
I don't know anyone who has it and I've never seen any "in the wild".

·
909 Posts
I don't have any installed on any of my Glocks
I know that some members of Glocktalk have posted having them installed
If I remember correctly most said they worked well, but their were some issues after using them for a while.

Edit Sorry Didn't see the part to not respond unless you had one installed

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any installed on any of my Glocks
I know that some members of Glocktalk have posted having them installed
If I remember correctly most said they worked well, but their were some issues after using them for a while.

Edit Sorry Didn't see the part to not respond unless you had one installed
No problem buster. Anyone have it done?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Please, let’s not get into the usual debate about why would anyone want one? To each their own and I want to know what folks think.

I’m wondering if anyone has had the Ten-Ring external thumb safety installed and was it quality work? I’m a fan of external safeties and was thinking of having it done to my Gen.3 G26.

Again, (and I know it’s probably fruitless), please don’t comment unless you have had it done. Thanks!

21A0FD49-D0FD-4323-8608-8608DB84274A.jpeg

Extended lever on a G33.

Tucked holster draw with safety on to a 10 yard plate in under 1 second.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree with you that to each his own. I will tell you that one of the reasons I like Glock is the fact that it does not have an external safety. That is one step out of the equation of life or death taken out, one less thing to distract you from the real problem at hand. Most of us here are law-abiding people and I think I can say very few here want to take a life, even if necessary. Some here can understand exactly what it is like to look at someone ready to cause you bodily harm or even take your life. I have weapons with external safety's and they are great for what they are used for. Stop and think of how many times you have fired your weapon in practice and did not have to worry about taking the safety off and now that is another step, using the same weapon that you have to think of prior to the decision of whether to shoot or not. This is only my opinion and I have never walked in your steps or crossed the bridges you have in life. You know yourself better than anyone else and your choice is yours, I wish you the best, my friend.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've no experience with these add-on manual Glock safeties either.
This Ten-Ring company seems to be using the "Cominolli" brand safety parts. The external pics of the Glock's left side seem identical.

Review the following websites:

https://tenring.com/glock-pistol-work-2/

https://www.cominolli.com/

https://suarezinternational.com/cominolli-custom-frame-mounted-safety-kit-for-glock/
Interesting. I’ve never heard of the Cominolli kits. They look more refined. They’re out of stock though.

View attachment 762746

Extended lever on a G33.

Tucked holster draw with safety on to a 10 yard plate in under 1 second.

Nice demo and thanks. Is that a Cominolli kit?

It's on my list right after an ejection seat for my truck and a suction cup for my beer
Here it comes! Of course, you couldn’t help yourself huh? Thanks for your informative contribution to this thread.

I agree with you that to each his own. I will tell you that one of the reasons I like Glock is the fact that it does not have an external safety. That is one step out of the equation of life or death taken out, one less thing to distract you from the real problem at hand. Most of us here are law-abiding people and I think I can say very few here want to take a life, even if necessary. Some here can understand exactly what it is like to look at someone ready to cause you bodily harm or even take your life. I have weapons with external safety's and they are great for what they are used for. Stop and think of how many times you have fired your weapon in practice and did not have to worry about taking the safety off and now that is another step, using the same weapon that you have to think of prior to the decision of whether to shoot or not. This is only my opinion and I have never walked in your steps or crossed the bridges you have in life. You know yourself better than anyone else and your choice is yours, I wish you the best, my friend.
Thanks for that but not much info on the safety there. Like we both say, “to each their own.” I’ve handled guns for over 50 years and if I thought a thumb safety hindered my action during a emergency, I wouldn’t be considering one. Besides, I could always leave it off if so desired.

Thanks to all who’ve positively contributed!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Cominolli Kits have been around forever. The one I saw had a safety lever that was small and looked inexpensively made. I was not impressed. That was years ago and maybe the product has changed.

I would think with the increased popularity of appendix carry there would be higher quality aftermarket safeties out there.

There is some increased interest in guns like the Beretta storm with a safety or exposed hammer than can be covered with a thumb during reholstering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,975 Posts

The system was originally designed by Mr. Cominolli. I am an installer for him and have done a few. They work as advertised, although not my cup of tea personally, and I haven't been requested to do one in several years.

Nothing earth shattering about them. They simply block the rearward travel of the trigger bar when engaged. The work the same way the safety on the M&P works.

TXPO

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The system was originally designed by Mr. Cominolli. I am an installer for him and have done a few. They work as advertised, although not my cup of tea personally, and I haven't been requested to do one in several years.

Nothing earth shattering about them. They simply block the rearward travel of the trigger bar when engaged. The work the same way the safety on the M&P works.

TXPO
Thanks for your reply Mr. TXPO. Even though they are not your cup of tea and not most here, I think they have some merit. It looks like the Ten-Ring conversion is the only viable option existing nowadays. If it works as good as the M&P as you state, I’m might be in.

One either hates or likes external safeties on a pistol, especially on a Glock. Its even debated among gun writers of today, (though not on a Glock). Some swear by them and others not. I can’t conceal carry in my liberal restricted state of Calif. but I keep my G26 loaded with a round in the chamber at the ready.

If my wife had to use it in an emergency and I’ve taught her to keep her finger off the trigger unless she had to use it, I would feel more comfortable if she just had to push down on a safety with her thumb to put it into battery and actually so would I.

Thanks to all for contributing but if anyone actually has had this done to their Glock, PLEASE respond!

·
1911 lover
10,157 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mr. TXPO. Even though they are not your cup of tea and not most here, I think they have some merit. It looks like the Ten-Ring conversion is the only viable option existing nowadays. If it works as good as the M&P as you state, I’m might be in.

One either hates or likes external safeties on a pistol, especially on a Glock. Its even debated among gun writers of today, (though not on a Glock). Some swear by them and others not. I can’t conceal carry in my liberal restricted state of Calif. but I keep my G26 loaded with a round in the chamber at the ready.

If my wife had to use it in an emergency and I’ve taught her to keep her finger off the trigger unless she had to use it, I would feel more comfortable if she just had to push down on a safety with her thumb to put it into battery and actually so would I.

Thanks to all for contributing but if anyone actually has had this done to their Glock, PLEASE respond!

Would a s&w model 10 revolver not be easier for her ?? No safety but safer to handle then a glock

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Regarding Post_15 and the OP.
The OP indicates his location is Dunsmuir, which is in Siskiyou County, CA. Siskiyou County is fairly open to issuing concealed carry permits in California. It will take some time, money, and a training class, which is common to many areas.

Reactions: -JCN- and pgg00

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
Beware; my anti-virus software went ape$#!t when I clicked on that 10ring link.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,975 Posts

While it does work like the M&P safety, the M&P's has a much more positive action on and off. The Cominolli system is kind of mushy feeling, it doesn't go on and off with a positive click. I hope that makes sense.

Having grown up on 1911's and Browing HPs, I have no aversion to safeties. I do however appreciate the simplicity of not having one.

I can run with one or without, but I strongly suggest some serious training and repetition for anyone planning on using a pistol with a safety as a duty weapon, or self defense.

When running some stress training courses with other agencies, I have seen officers who show up carrying 1911's, draw and attempt to fire without ever sweeping the safety.

I run officers that carry 1911's in my agency through a strenuous training session and test before I clear them to carry them. I only have two that currently carry 1911's, if that says anything.

TXPO

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
While it does work like the M&P safety, the M&P's has a much more positive action on and off. The Cominolli system is kind of mushy feeling, it doesn't go on and off with a positive click. I hope that makes sense.

TXPO
Mine makes a positive click on and off. I installed mine myself with the available jig kit. IIRC it took a little finesse in the installation to make sure there was full travel and ability to engage the detent for the “click.” Listen to the video with the sound up.

Having personally retrofit the OEM P365 manual safety on a couple guns as well, it’s similar in the positivity of that feeling. No, it’s not a 1911 safety though.

Here is an old thread I posted.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/t...rison-no-haters-please.1710168/#post-25588112

To @Geno make sure that Ten Ring actually has them in stock though. They may not.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts