close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have the S&W MP?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by nnickatnight, Mar 12, 2010.

1. nnickatnight

nnickatnight

I was wondering if anyone has one and what their opinion is and how they compare to the Glock. I did see an online trigger job that appears close to a 1911 and much improved over the Glock options. I'm considering one so any input would be appreciated.

2. Billet

Billet

The M&P 9c narrowly beat out the G26 in my comparison. The longer sight radius, manual safety and better ergonomics of the M&P made it the one for me. These are mostly personal preferences, and IMO, reliability is the same between the two brands.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010

3. boatsanhoes

boatsanhoes

I have a new S&W MP 40c. I love it. It is similair to my G29 but the S&W seems to fit very well in my hand. I think the stock trigger isnt to bad and maybe one day when I can save up the duckets I will do a little work to her but right out of the gate I have really enjoyed it.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have 2 M&P's (3 including the rifle) but I'm not impressed enough with either the design or the track record to replace my Glocks. M&P is, however, among my handful of favorite guns.

5. 2c5s

2c5s

I have a fullsize M&P .45. Very nice pistol, accurate as hell, better fitting grip than Glock.

6. Girevik61

Girevik61

I had a full size M&P .45, I wasn't impressed at all.
    Glock makes the better weapon.

7. C/O-RC

C/O-RC

Full size 9mm love it the trigger was a bit rough but a bit of dry firing smoothed it out

8. Larry V

Larry V

I have MP 40c, MP 40 and MP45 and they are all great guns!!

9. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Gun Test magazine rated it "Best In Class". So it has to be better than a Glock.

10. ContractSoldier

ContractSoldier

I own a 9mm Glock and S&W M&P, i like the M&P better.

11. mixflip

mixflip

Travis Haley of Magpul Dynamics seems to favor the M&P in the "Art of the Dynamic Handgun" DVD. Oddly there are no Glocks used in the DVD. (I think?)

12. GunOneDown

GunOneDown

HADa M&P 40 and it shot fine with good accuracy. Fit was good, but after only a short while, the "Stainless" slide RUSTED from carrying around a coastal area. I returned it and S&W replaced my slide, then I sold it. Glocks have never RUSTED and they are carried in the same are daily. Other than that, It was a decent firearm.

13. Nocean13

Nocean13

Have a 9mm FS. Its a great gun and the fit in the hand is amazing!

14. fastbolt

fastbolt

You ought to be able to find hours of threads on this forum about the M&P pistols series. I've certainly added enough to them, myself.

Suffice to say my experience with them has been influenced by having attended the M&P pistol armorer class and owning a couple of them. I've also been to a couple of Glock armorer classes and own a couple of them ... and have been through 3 SW99/P99 armorer classes, and own a couple of them, as well as having carried an issued one for several years ... so I've had the opportunity to compare the M&P pistols to the Glock and 99 series from the perspective of owner, user and armorer for a little while.

I think the M&P pistol series contains several refinements and improvements in the general evolution of plastic framed service pistols. They have some nice features which are being increasingly appreciated by a growing number of commercial (private) and LE/Gov (public) owners & users.

Yes, they've had some minor teething pains, but show me another service handgun that hasn't ... or that doesn't continue to have some occasional issues that engineers are seemingly still trying to address even years after the introduction of a model line. :whistling:

S&W does offer an advantage to original owners in the way of a lifetime warranty that includes pre-paid shipping (and return) at no expense to the owner, and they're usually pretty quick about such things.

Now, having owned, carried and supported all 3 of the plastic service-type guns I've mentioned, I can certainly find there are things I like & dislike about all of them.

Let's just say that I'll be buying another plastic pistol in the near future, and it'll be a 3rd M&P. ;)

I have no plans to get rid of my pair of Glocks or SW99's, however. I just don't have plans to buy more of them anytime soon.

Look around for the wealth of threads about the M&P's on GT, bearing in mind that this is a Glock enthusiasts, after all. ;)

15. timbo813

timbo813

I have an M&P 9c. It's a great gun. It feels much better in my hand than a Glock. Stock, the trigger feels better than a Glock except that the Glock has a shorter and more defined reset. I just got a sear from Apex Tactical that has done wonders for the trigger. If you get an M&P definitely look at their products.

16. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Same with me. Also had a 9mm. Solid guns, but inferior to the Glock (for my purposes, anyway).

17. StoneDog

StoneDog

How does the 40c compare to the G23 with respect to recoil?

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

The M&P 40c is more closely akin to the G27 ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, in answer to your specific question, I feel the G23 has less felt recoil and muzzle whip than both the M&P 40c and the G27. Not surprising, is it?

I bought my M&P 40c with the expectation that it would probably make me want to 'retire' my G27 to my safe. I've been looking for the 'perfect' compact .40 S&W pistol for some time, having tried a SW99 40c, 4013TSW, P239, 4040PD and the G27.

While the ergonomics, overall handling characteristics and accuracy of the M&P 40c are nice, and I can shoot more rounds through it with less shooter-fatigue ... I still find I like the G27 for occasion use upon occasion.

If I were going to want to spend a range session shooting more than 300 rounds, I'd choose the 4013TSW, or my SW99 full-size .40 model.

My personal M&P 40c had an issue with early slide stop engagement, but that's been resolved. The feeding has never been an issue, and it's very accurate. I experience a noticeably better level of controllability during rapid, 1-handed rapid shooting drills with my M&P 40c than with either my 4040PD or my G27, but then I've been working at it.

I do find the M&P 9c to be a much easier handling and shooting pistol, though, and if I had it to do again I think I'd have been served by buying the little gun chambered in 9mm.

I feel the same way about the G26 - G27 comparison, though, so that's not really surprising.

I already own a handful of excellent small 9mm pistols, however, so I just wasn't particularly interested in adding yet another one to the collection. I was more interested in trying to find that 'perfect' little .40 pistol ... which I'm beginning to suspect may not really exist for my desires and personal needs. Dunno.

Worth trying at a range, though.

19. StoneDog

StoneDog

fastbolt, thank you

20. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

Finally got to go over a Gen 4 G17 today. The only thing Glock could have done that would have been an even more ineffectual response to the M&P's market impact would have been to do nothing at all.

As things stand, they've merely done next to nothing. The M&P's momentum will not be blunted by Gen 4.