Anyone have OnStar?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RCP, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RCP

RCP

Is it worth it? My truck came with the 1st year free but to subscribe after that is 200 bucks a year. I think it's kinda neat feature but not sure I'm gonna use it all that much. Looking for input from anyone else who has or had it.

2. saluki9

saluki9

I have it for my wife's SUV. I figure it can't hurt and the navigation feature is nice when I can't be there.

3. Menehune

Menehune

I used it for the first free year in my Saturn, but never renewed when it was up. It was okay to have, and I did by a one time offer of extra phone minutes. I received a letter once though from GM, aplogizing for any incident in which my ":vehicle may have been subjected to monitoring through the use of the OnStar phone". Or words to that effect.:wow:

I did like that I was e-mailed a diagnostic of the vehicle and could request one whenever I wanted. I understand that the newer OnStar systems are even more wired in to the vehicle.

But I never had occasion to use the features, and haven't had a situation since that it would have been handy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

We have it on my wife's vehicle. My only hesitation with it is the government's controlling interest in GM now and how it could possibly be abused.

It has come in handy.

-unlocked the truck one time when she locked our kids in. When she did this in her previous vehicle (2006 Lexus GS430) her panicked solution was to have a man shatter a window to get her in the vehicle. So I guess you could say that OnStar has paid for itself a few times over if you look at it that way.

-it provides me some peace of mind with regard to the safety of my wife and kids when out and about.

-backup cell call capability.

5. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I have it on two of my cars. The monthly diagnostics alone delivered via e-mail is worth the price to me. Add the automatic accident EMS notification and it really is a value.

You don't have to use their minutes for the phone either. Verizon customers can add the On Star device phone as an additional line for $9.99 a month and share whatever plan minutes and features you currently have on your handheld phone.

6. billkill

billkill

OS Lady: Hello Mr.Billkill How can I help you today?
    Me: I would like to cancel my account.
    OS Lady: Are you sure? (She then goes on to explain how helpful it is for navigation I have a GPS, how you can use it for hands free calling I have a bluetooth cellphone or how it can be helpful in the result of a crash.)
    Me: But I have had it for a year and only used it twice, once to activate it and now.
    OS Lady: Most of our customers never use it, they keep it for peace of mind.
    Me: So it is good to have for emergencies.
    OS Lady: Yes
    Me: Kind of like a spare tire?
    OS Lady: Yes exactly!
    Me: Lady, if I had to pay $18 a month for a spare tire I wouldn't have one either.
    OS Lady: Yes sir I will cancel your account...Thank you for using On Star. :rofl:

7. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

Am I the only one having telemarketers call their OnStar phone?

OnStar swears they didn't sell my number to telemarketers, but the frequency of telemarketer calls makes me think otherwise, and those minutes are not cheap. I haven't given out my OnStar phone number to anyone (I don't even know what it is) so when the Onstar phone rings I no longer answer.

The radio acts like a caller ID, so if "unavailable" or "out of area" keep calling, OnStar may get cancelled even before the free year runs out.

8. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Onstar is now part of Gubmint Motors right? And we all trust the gubmint implicitly right? So it's no problem to let the gubmint always know where your vehicle is, monitor the converations in your vehicle at will, and shut off your vehicle's engine anytime the deem it appropriate, right? On second thought, I think I might have a problem with that. I don't have a vehicle with Onstar so it's not a problem for me but I think if I bought a car that came with Onstar I wouldn't activate it.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I have the option on my SUV as well.

Though I'm a bit hesitant to use the service, especially since the adds that show On Star is able to shut off a vehicle when the police request it. Just too much darn power. Especially when the govt and so many folks have more "power" over me now than I care for.

I'm just too Independent for that. I know some groups have more power over me than I want now, I'm just not happy out giving it away if there's no reason. I do not lose my keys, I already have a cell phone, and maybe someone will come along and call an ambulance if needed.

Got along without it for years, I'll take my chances.

10. Menehune

Menehune

I think it was member JLB768 that brought this up in another thread, so I figured I would try it.

I have not had OnStar service since April '07. After this thread came up, I was curious about something. I disconnected the OnStar antenna. Less than 24 hours later, a message was left on my home machine, telling me that my OnStar system needed to be checked! I wish the e-mail I used for them was still active, as I'm sure they tried that one also.

It may be an automated service, but tell me that it isn't being monitored somehow!

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Do you think that if you dont subscribe to on star, they cant controll your vehicle if the law ask's them to?

Pretty sure they can at anytime as long as your vehicle has the hardware.

12. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

MT baldy, see my post above.

13. BlueMalibu

BlueMalibu What Limit?

Right....that is why this is my on-star.....Doesn't work so well when it is out of the car. Actually, this is out of my old car. I put it back when I sold it. My new car is not from government motors and does not have any "telematics."

[​IMG]

14. LL6

LL6

They would have to activate the system in the vehicle before they could use it. Don't know if it is possible without some sort of interaction on the vehicle side, though.

How it is supposed to work is the dealership "should" activate the system with the customer sitting in the vehicle before it rolls off the lot. Of course depending how on top of things the dealer is some don't get activated before it leaves and some do before the customer even sees their car...

As someone pointed out with the antenna disconnect thing, if the system had been active before then they "could" access it again. It is also proof they don't deactivate systems like they should on their end when a subscription ends or is terminated. His being contacted was probably just an example of them not realizing his subscription was no longer active.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  15. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

OnStar requires no activation by the end user or dealer so that they can "talk" to your car. All they need for you to do is start your account with them, which is why they want you to press the blue button when you first get the car. However, even if you don't do that, they have all the info they need to start communicating with the vehicle.

The only way to completely prevent them from doing that is to unhook the antenna, and then just to make sure, the apropos OnStar control module in the car. Doing the latter will probably trip an error in the car and may even prevent the car from starting. I know of people that have worked around it by jumping a couple of the computer's leads together, fooling the car into thinking everything was OK.

jas (Happy OnStar subscriber in 2 vehicles)

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Thats what gets most people. All new vehicles come with one year free. Essentially most vehicles will already have been physically activated. All they have to do to make it work on their end is push a few buttons.

Kind of like wireless internet, once the hardware is set up, the provider can controll it on their end.

The ony way to be free of it is to cut the wires or remove it like done above.

17. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

i unhooked my antenna. Less than a day later, I got a call saying something was wrong with my onstar. Did I mention, im not a subscriber.....

18. LL6

LL6

To Jason and House, OnStar may have changed things then to simplify the procedure. What is probably being done is the dealer or someone in the system is pre-pushing the blue button so-to-speak. Your initial push as the customer is just getting you a rep that walks you through an intro to OnStar then.

In the old days the real first button press gets you only into OnStar enrollment who has to transcribe all the vehicle and customer info.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  19. Fanner50

Fanner50 NRA Endowment

Of course it's being monitored. Not all time, but anytime they want to listen in they can. If you ever decide to "act like a teenager" and take your wife out parking sometime just imagine the free entertainment you'll be giving the OnStar rep on the other end. :supergrin: I would not buy a car with OnStar.

You've seen those commercials where they shut down the stolen suv with OnStar? That's just what they show you they can do. And no, I don't wear a tinfoil hat. That's just reality.

20. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Hate to say I told ya so...But I told ya so :rofl:

Sumbeaches won't do jack for ya after you cancel, or let it expire, but they keep watchin ya :whistling: