close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Have Experience W/ IPOD Nano

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kastivich01, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Kastivich01

Kastivich01

Im thinking about getting an IPOD Nano. What do you guys think about it. Have they fixed the issue with the easily scratched screens? Do you know if they are plug and play or do they require special software? Thanks in advance.

2. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

"Have they fixed the issue with the easily scratched screens? Do you know if they are plug and play or do they require special software? Thanks in advance"

I gave one to my 13 year old daughter for Christmas and it has no scratches yet. She keeps it in a wallet-like protector most of the time. I'm not sure how it would do without it. I never tried using it without software to see if Windows would recognize it as a storage device. I installed the software that comes with it. No problems yet.

If there was one thing that I would change, it would be the quality of the headphones. The sound quality is average and the fit is like the $5.00 sets at gas stations. I expected better for what I paid.

Just checked: Windows does pick it up as a storage device without the included program. I can navigate inside it as if it was a regular windows folder.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

I like mine very much - it does scratch easily, but it's not a big deal - the Video Ipod, you really want to keep the screen scratch-free, but the nano, as long as you can see the menus, it's just not a big deal, IMHO. Spend $10 for a silicone case if you think scratching is an issue.

I'm constantly amazed by the quality and battery life of my Nano - so small, so attractive. Sound is on par with other iPods - very good. I don't mind the stock earphones - you certainly can do better, but not for less than $70 or so, which is getting to be a very large % of the cost of the Nano itself.

The iTunes software that comes with it is surprisingly good - rips CD's, you can buy from Apple's music store (be aware that anything you buy there can't be played on a non-iPod device), etc, with a minimum of muss and fuss. Lots of other software to do the same job for the iPod out there, but I don't bother.

The only other thing to think about is the full-sized 30Gb Ipod w/Video - it's not that much more than a Nano, at $300 list, $279 at my local Costco, and you get a ton more storage space, and small-screen video playback. It's considerably larger than the Nano, which might be a negative, depending on whether you intend to pocket it, but the extra space and ability to watch movies or TV (even if teeny), is surprisingly nice. I've got both, and am constantly surprised how much I like the current full-size Ipods - I really didn't like the previous ones at all.

4. TheBelly

TheBelly

The iPod Nano ships with a little leather-looking and feeling sock type protector. I don't know how else to describe it.

I use my Nano for a calendar, address book, and music. Does the windows version still retain these capabilities (other than music)?

I work in a pretty high speed job and it can keep up without any trouble. It's good that it's a flash based, rather than disc based.