close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have any FZ6 experience?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by DaisyCutter, Oct 26, 2006.

1. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I saw this today and had to go rub one out afterwords:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09october06_2007yamaha_fz6.htm

It's half the displacement of that last and only streetbike I owned, but maybe I could ride more within the law on it??

At any rate, I think it's a damn sexy unit.

Do they ride and move nice?

2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

It's a more relaxed sportbike.
    It's 5 year old (or so) sportbike motor technology, detuned for easier riding.
    The suspension is softer and the ride is more upright.
    It would make a great sporty commuter.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I never rode one, but have heard they're very comfortable.

Its an older, detuned R6 engine in a bike about 50lbs heavier. Its not going to be overly fast. However, that can be a good thing.

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

It's gotta feel fast if you flog it hard, eh?

I like the FZ1 too, and it's more comparable to my old ZRX... but I'd get into trouble. I lost my commuter car in the divorce, and I'm thinking of letting my 3/4-ton Dodge get a break a couple days a week.

The Aprilia Tuono, like FALMAN has, really gets me riled up too, but it's just tough for me to keep a liter bike below 90mph. They seem to be really happy cruising in the 90-110mph range... bad juju.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The FZ6 isn't THAT slow. It still puts out close to 100-HP to the rear wheel. Keeping it under 100 MPH will be tough if your right wrist is of the happy type. It's a very popular bike in Europe. It just got a face lift and update less than two years ago and looks like Yami is giving it another update. Good for Yamaha.

These standard midweights are no jokes nowadays, even the midweight V-twins are putting out in excess of 70-MPH.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

On another thought, why not buy a Supermoto? It's fun as hell and it usually peaks out at around 80-MPH. Unless you're getting the Aprilia SVX which will peaks out close to the Ton, that is.

7. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

my next play bike will be a 1/2 litre job....

Makes an excellent gap tool ;)

If you have problems riding fast, you are the problem. Slow down to your skill level.

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

It ain't a skill level issue. My only problem riding fast is the jail-time associated with it.

A few years ago, I had a displacement fetish. My off-road race bike was a CR500R, and my streekbike was a ZRX1200R.

Now my off-road race bike is a KX250, and I'm having a lot of fun with the extra wrist action. I'm thinking a smaller streetbike may keep my out of some trouble and be fun to ride hard. I could cut the displacement of my herd by half over the course of a year.

9. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

a 600cc class is just as fast if not faster than a litrebike.... depends on the rider.

you just need to learn to control that thar right claw.

I can't say much, I'm guilty of triple digits. Although on a "closed course" with "professional mobile traffic cones"

;)

10. VWglocker

VWglocker

i ride an FZ1 and love it. haven't been on a 6, but from what i hear, power is not the problem. sure its slower, but still plenty quick. most people i talk to say it just doesn't feel good. doesn't feel as balanced, doesn't handle as well, doesn't turn in as well, doesn't stop as well as the FZ1.

there was a thread on FZ1OA awhile back about the 6 that had lots of responses. if i were less lazy, i'd go look it up

i know what you mean about watching your speed though. super easy to get to felony speeds without trying.

11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter