Anyone have an M1 Carbine in the trunk?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Vigilant, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Vigilant

Vigilant

I started looking at mil surp M1 Carbines as a more safe option against any future bans, and am surprised at how underrated these old classics seem to be. Seems like a well-preserved specimen might be a good option as a patrol rifle in some cases. I have also read that many were used at the gunnery rails in the prisons of yesteryear. The more recent production Auto Ordnance variants also seem to do pretty well after they are broken in.

Was hoping we might have a discussion.

2. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I've got one in my gun safe. It comes along with me in the truck when I go out with my FIL to check on cattle, and up in the deer stand (to supplement a scoped .270 bolt action) during hunting season.

I love that little rifle. It's very quick handling, light, and packs a decent punch. It gets used on coyotes regularly, and is extremely effective out to 100 yards.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

I've been toying with the idea of picking one up myself sometime. The only one I've been able to find locally was a new-production Auto Ordnance with some sort of plastic/fiberglass folding stock that I didn't care for at all.

4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I love them, they are very well handling little rifles....but how does .30 carbine do against body armor? I dont know and I have not gone googling.

One of the things I want in a patrol rifle is pointy and fast bullets. If I go to my M4gery, one of the expectations is it will go through pretty much all soft body armor.

5. BBMW

BBMW

Modern hollow point .30 cabinet ammo is quite effective. But being HP, its not going to work well against body armor.

6. blueiron

blueiron

Ammo is expensive. Parts aren't readily available any more. It has the ballistics of about a .357 Magnum. Bullets are limited to FMJ and SP.

If ammo was cheap, I'd say yes. Too bad it isn't.

7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

That is what I figured....then I have no need for one.

If I was going to get a carbine like that, I would just get a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that accepts my Glock Magazines. I really cant see any advantage of an M1 Carbine over a pistol caliber carbine that is modular for ammo and magazines with your duty pistol.

8. Vigilant

Vigilant

A 110 grain FMJ or SP bullet at around 2000 fps probably won't go far against body armor. Like anything else, strong points and weak points.

9. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I think an M1C with a folding stock could be useful in certain situations to supplement an AR and/or shotgun for use in close tight spaces. It has almost no recoil, and the ability to dump 15-30 rounds (of what is ballistically .357 mag out a 6 inch barrel) into someone quickly from up close could definitely be handy. I wouldn't choose it over an AR in most situations.

10. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I have had two 30 carbines, and always thought they would be a pretty good patrol rifle especially because of compactness, weight, and pointability.

Every time I sold one, I regretted it soon after.

The cartridge is still anemic though, and rifles are usually more expensive than an AR, mini 14, or mini 30. When I had mine the only non ball ammo was a gold dot load, and a Federal soft point.

11. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I still kick myself for not picking up a couple thousand rounds of cheap surplus ammo a few years ago.

12. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

That and they used to be affordable. Now, even the remakes are down right expensive.

They are neat little rifles. But, i just don't see the cost vs. reward benefit in the cost of the rifle and ammunition.

Then when you find one that isn't a remake, condition is everything. That and everyone and their brother made them from Iver Johnson to IBM. Quality is important in a rifle that old.

13. Vigilant

Vigilant

Quality with the mil surps was good, from what I have read. The only post-war production variants that I have heard good things about are the more recent Auto Ordnance guns.

PRVI Partisan 110 grain soft point ammo was selling for about 40 cents a round before all the craziness, I believe. Seems to be a good option.

14. igor

igor

in the mid to late 70,s most of us had an m1 carbine in the trunk. in the 80 s we were switching to ar 15 s , there were still a lot of m1 carbines about and still are. i had an officer who carried his grandfathers m1 d sniper rifle. he waas good with it also. of course as his sgt i would offically now nothng bout it

15. railfancwb

railfancwb

Ruger made a Blackhawk for the .30 carbine round. Gun may still be in their catalog, which would more likely due to lack of popularity than repeated production runs.

16. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Wasn't there also a .30 carbine caliber Automag?

17. pgg00

pgg00

I have an old surplus M1 carbine from my great grandfather in my safe. Great little gun. Works against boars also. I also have the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine. It is one loud pistol. They are both fun to shoot. A little harder to find ammo for though.

Given the choice though is rather use my AR or mini 14 as a patrol rifle.

18. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I have an Inland M1 Carbine in my personal inventory that I got through CMP. A neighboring department has one too, but I don't believe it ever leaves their station.

I reload, so ammo cost is not the problem, however with the recent madness that has been going around, finding bullets to reload is a problem! Luckily, I have about 1k rounds loaded and enough bullets for about another 500 rounds.

I've been thinking of turning my M1 Carbine into my third "zombie" rifle!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  19. OuttaHand

OuttaHand

I have two M1 carbines. Very nice guns as long as you don't expect too much.
    I've gotten three whitetails with one of mine, but two of them I got lucky. I got each deer with only one round and could not getoff another (found we were using too heavy a gun oil and it gummed in the cold). The single bullet killed each one, but did not immediately stop them.

Accuracy of these little guys is great out to about 100 yds. We're lucky, too. We have reloading dies and lots of brass.

20. CW Mock

CW Mock

Forget that ...

I want an M1A1 for a patrol carbine. :supergrin: