Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm going to probably pick one up this weekend. Waiting to get verification of manufacture date because of the tritium. It's a TA11 J-G that the guy bought last July at Gander Mountain's closeout.

I can't really justify it, but I've always wanted one just because. $700, sells for about $1350. A lot of money, but YOLO.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had one and the eye relief is small it was the 4x 32 I bought it because it looks some dam cool. I cant remember the one that has a larger relief but it was around 1500 so I passed and sold off the 4x32
Yeah, that one is like an inch and a half eye relief. The one I'm getting is about 2 and a half inches, 3.5x35. It's the crosshair reticle, everyone seems to like the Chevron the best.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found out the one I'm getting was manufactured in November, 2016, so just over a year old. The tritium will probably out live me.

·
Super Moderator
20,257 Posts
I have a 3x ACOG and I like it; bright image and super durable. It is getting a bit harder to see the reticle as my vision goes downhill. I have an older carry-handle-upper Colt AR, and with the ACOG on there, it makes a solid but lightweight package, and the irons are right there if I want/need them.

I bought that one used, but at the time, I was shopping for a new one, and was leaning toward a crosshair reticle (ended up with something else because it was used). IIRC, when I was researching the various reticle options, I read the crosshair reticles suffer from a tendency for one side of the horizontal crosshair (near the edge of the field of view) to be out-of-focus, and this is normal. It has something to do with the way the reticle is angled on the prism in relation to the lens system. Not sure if they still display this quirk or not, but I thought I'd mention it in case you noticed something similar.

EDIT: Remembered where I read it; Trijicon's website ACOG FAQs.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_ACOG.php

The right hand side of the crosshair is blurry. Is this normal?

Yes. The reticle pattern in the ACOG is formed by removing highly reflective metal from a prism mirror. This mirror is at about a 45-degree angle inside the gun sight. This means that the left side of the reticle is closer to the eye than the center of the reticle and the right side of the reticle is further from the eye. The result- the right side of the reticle is focused beyond infinity which can cause distortion on the right side of the reticle. The perceived distortion will be more or less depending on an individual's eyesight. The left side of the reticle is unaffected because the human eye has no difficulty focusing on a closer object. This in no way detracts from the performance of the scope. The image of the target area is not affected. Only the right hand side horizontal reticle line is blurry. This construction is required to achieve a parallax free vertical center of the scope, which allows the built in ranging on the reticle pattern.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 3x ACOG and I like it; bright image and super durable. It is getting a bit harder to see the reticle as my vision goes downhill. I have an older carry-handle-upper Colt AR, and with the ACOG on there, it makes a solid but lightweight package, and the irons are right there if I want/need them.

I bought that one used, but at the time, I was shopping for a new one, and was leaning toward a crosshair reticle (ended up with something else because it was used). IIRC, when I was researching the various reticle options, I read the crosshair reticles suffer from a tendency for one side of the horizontal crosshair (near the edge of the field of view) to be out-of-focus, and this is normal. It has something to do with the way the reticle is angled on the prism in relation to the lens system. Not sure if they still display this quirk or not, but I thought I'd mention it in case you noticed something similar.

EDIT: Remembered where I read it; Trijicon's website ACOG FAQs.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_ACOG.php

The right hand side of the crosshair is blurry. Is this normal?

Yes. The reticle pattern in the ACOG is formed by removing highly reflective metal from a prism mirror. This mirror is at about a 45-degree angle inside the gun sight. This means that the left side of the reticle is closer to the eye than the center of the reticle and the right side of the reticle is further from the eye. The result- the right side of the reticle is focused beyond infinity which can cause distortion on the right side of the reticle. The perceived distortion will be more or less depending on an individual's eyesight. The left side of the reticle is unaffected because the human eye has no difficulty focusing on a closer object. This in no way detracts from the performance of the scope. The image of the target area is not affected. Only the right hand side horizontal reticle line is blurry. This construction is required to achieve a parallax free vertical center of the scope, which allows the built in ranging on the reticle pattern.
Thanks, I didn't know that and I would have assumed something was wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
TA11's do have much better eye relief than the old TA01 4x32 scopes and the TA33 will probably be the best. I still have an early 4x32 red chevron with a cracked fiber tube and Bible code, still going strong.

You can't beat Trij glass in low-level light, I also have a AccuPoint 2.5x10x56 mil-dot with the green center dot that I use on my Larue... Green shows up the best and is my favorite.

You did well grasshopper.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TA11's do have much better eye relief than the old TA01 4x32 scopes and the TA33 will probably be the best. I still have an early 4x32 red chevron with a cracked fiber tube and Bible code, still going strong.

You can't beat Trij glass in low-level light, I also have a AccuPoint 2.5x10x56 mil-dot with the green center dot that I use on my Larue... Green shows up the best and is my favorite.

You did well grasshopper.
Thanks, I'm happy!

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a sweet setup :notworthy: Enjoy!
I really like how the balance point/scope for the gun sits just above the grip for your dominate hand.
Yeah, I haven't shot with it yet but I think that's pretty much where it will stay, seems to get a really good sight picture there. That's definitely my go to setup. I put a Geissele Super Sabra trigger in it last summer. Love that rifle.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got to shoot it a little today but only at 50 feet. The outdoor part of my range is closed right now so I was only able to shoot it at 50 feet indoors. You are supposed to zero them at 36 yards using the 300 meter mark on the reticle for a good zero at 100 meters with the crosshairs. I knew I wouldn't be able to accurately zero the elevation at that distance, but figured I could get windage close.

First shot right out of the box using the 300 meter mark was about an inch and a half low but dead center. Second shot was a bullseye with no adjustments. I love this ACOG, and I've always loved my Tavor, especially with the Geissele trigger. For me, this is a lot of money for a rifle setup but worth every penny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.