close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have a standad glock rear sight and a front night sight?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Defiance, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Defiance

Defiance

I ask because I had this set-up on my 19 for about a year, and shot well with it in GSSF. That simple "bucket" rear sight was easy to pick up in daylight, and I also had the night sight front sight for low light self-defense scenarios. I know this probably wasn't ideal for either situation, but it seemed a good balance for my needs. Then, like a fool, I couldn't leave it alone and put a rear night sight on as well. (Front and rear now both new trijicons and excellent night visibility.)

I think I shot better with the standard & night sight front set-up, during the day anyhow.

Anyone else have/used to have/thinking about having this set-up on their Glock and would like to share your experience?

2. joedoc

joedoc

I put a green Hi-viz on the front with the stock rear sight. It was fine except that the Hi-viz did not gather light like I expected--it is too dim (I shoot mostly indoors.) On my other glock I just painted the entire stock front sight surface white, and that seems to be helpful. There are other colors that I may try, looking to compensate for my old eyes.
    I have also looked at front night sights, like you, and some of them are on my wish list---the glock front night sight is relatively cheap, but I think it is crimp on, not screwed on.

3. frankt

frankt

For a good while I used the Novak front night sight(screw on type) with the standard Glock rear sight that I filed the notch wider.

This worked really well for me. It allowed my older eyes to pick up the sights fast and also let me locate the Glock laying on the nightstand or on the floor of my tent while camping.

I really don't like any color on my rear sight as I prefer to look "through" the rear sight and not "at" it so I finally changed out the rear to a solid black heinie sight.

My eyes still have a little trouble picking up the front sight as mine is only tritium with no white outline. If I was starting over I would get the night sight with white dot but for now, I carfully painted around the tritium with Fl orange which does help me.

4. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"I really don't like any color on my rear sight as I prefer to look "through" the rear sight and not "at" it so I finally changed out the rear to a solid black heinie sight."

Agree! Focus is "on" front sight wit tgt. in a slight blurr. Should be able to use slim slivers of light on both side of front post in notch to center same with almost no concious effort, with a bit of practice.

Only for FYI: Novak's is making their "Carry" rear sights with fiber optic rods, with two notch widths now, that will work with OEM Glock front sight heights. If enough available light that F/O not needed may "Black-Out" with spray "Sight Black".

5. gary newport

gary newport

That is, if the target is sufficiently lit or high-contrast so that "slivers of light" are visible! This is not always the case.

I have a Mepro front and factory rear on a G26 and the same rear with a HiViz FO front on one of my G37s. The HiViz rear is 0.125 thick (thinner than the stock front), so with well-lit, high-contrast targets, I can see the slivers if the FO is overwhelmed. If the FO is glowing brightly, especially if the target is low-contrast, I can center the front using the white "goal post" outline on the rear--using that outline in the same way and for the same purpose as I would use the slivers.

6. bunchok

bunchok

I do. Although I replaced the plastic rear sight with the steel Glock sight. I went with an Ameriglo tritium front sight. I really like the sight picture.

7. GoodGuy

GoodGuy

I have the Ameriglo tritium front and the stock plastic rear.
    When and if I ever get the slide refinished I'll replace the plastic one with a steel. I have the .125" wide front.
    Good setup for me.
    I was even able to do it myself.

8. Speedrock

Speedrock "To The Point"

"That is, if the target is sufficiently lit or high-contrast so that "slivers of light" are visible! This is not always the case."

Target does not have to be "Bathed" in light or have much contrast at all. What's needed is just enough light falling on the sights to make the front post or ramp stand out in the notch and be distinct from the notch for the eye to foucs on. All this is very well documented, FWIW....... Even works with Black-on-Black sights.

9. gary newport

gary newport

Well, I can look across the room at the stairwell in the evening, with a lamp beside my chair but the stairway light off, and see objects well enough. However, when I try to aim at those objects with black-on-black sights (and an unloaded gun), I can see no slivers of light. Repeat this experiment with a white dot/white outline sight set-up, and aiming is easy! There isn't "just enough light" in this case--and in others.

10. fm2

fm2

Yep, been running the Tritium front sight only since the late 90's. I like it much better than f & r night sights.

11. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

Yup.

I have that setup on a G19 traded to me.

Mepro front, standard rear(inverted to only show black)

I cant stand it.
    The height on the sights is off and I find it distracting.

When it comes to dot style night sights;
    I need my 3!

12. gunman_23

gunman_23 GOOGLE IT

I will happily trade you my standard rear sights plus cash for your rear night sights.

PM me if interested.