Anyone have a Ruger American bolt action rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by doktarZues, Feb 24, 2020.

1. JN01

JN01

Gotcha. I guess I would categorize most of those things more as “unrefined”. Except for the magazines, they seem more “crappy”. Although the 7.62 x 39 model uses much better quality Mini Thirty magazines.

2. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I bet you did.

The Ruger American is in the same league as all the other “affordable” (cheap) bolt actions. As a whole, they work great and therefore, have taken over the market.

if a guy needs a Remington 40X type performance, he needs to pass on the budget guns.

But for the guy who shoots a box of shells or less a year (most hunters) to kill a deer, why spend any more?

mikey357 likes this.

3. rainman33

rainman33

Out of curiosity, for those of us that don’t do bolt actions, what rifles would be a step up in quality and performance?

4. ede

ede

I've got a 223 and 17HRM.

5. Kentucky Shooter

I think the classic model 700 Remington, the Winchester Model 70, Browning A bolt or X bolt, Ruger 77/Hawkeye, Savage 110, Weatherby Mark V, etc... all still available but pricier- and how much more accurate is debatable but all probably built nicer than the typical budget rifle. These rifles were the basic “ford or Chevrolet” to our Dad and Grandad’s generation.

to really step up beyond that level, prices would start at $1000 and beyond. Kimber & Nosler for example makes some nice rifles in that class, plus many others.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  6. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Off topic but the Buckmaster is a superior scope than the Buckmaster II by a fairly wide margin. Buckmaster II is basically similar to the older Prostaff while the newer Prostaffs are similar to the older Buckmaster. Long story short, Nikon’s marketing is beyond stupid and probably a lot of the reason why they are out of the riflescope business.
    As far as the Ruger American goes, I think they are the best of the economy rifles on the market. They are designed to be good hunting rifles that don’t cost very much and they are very successful at accomplishing that goal.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  7. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Kind of depends on how big of a “step” you are willing to take and if you are willing to buy used. A used Remington 700 or Winchester 70 push feed can be purchased used for about the same as a Ruger American, a Savage 110 E for less, a Ruger M77 a little more. All four of those I would consider better quality. Nothing wrong with the Ruger American, it’s just an inexpensive budget rifle, it is what it is. Then it moved up Kimber, Weatherby, Browning, Tikka, Bergara.... the list gets long when you are willing to part with $700- $1,000 or so dollars. If you can afford it, I recommend Bergara, they are what a Remington should be, if terrible management hadn’t ruined them.
    I have a couple other rifles but at this point I shoot Bergara rifles pretty exclusively.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    CZ, Bergera, Ruger’s Hawkeye line, Winchester model 70’s Tikka

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  9. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.

10. Kentucky Shooter

yes, I’m basically lost on Nikons naming patterns- I have several prostaffs and Buckmaster scopes from 15 years ago when prostaffs were the cheaper line. Now I see that they are naming some really high dollar scopes “prostaff” so you make a great point.

11. Kentucky Shooter

Your point is well taken, and certainly shared by the few left who appreciate and remember the good old days when everything was walnut and deep bluing.

12. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

I have a 300 Blackout RAR. I knew there were problems with the rotary magazine. I waited until it was reportedly fixed. It was not. Did not work. Ruger sent another magazine and same problem. Bought a 10 shot magazine from Lucky 13 that works fine.

I recently looked at the Ruger site and did not see the rotary magazine version RAR available. It now takes AR magazines.

It does have a nice trigger and is very accurate. Get the AR magazine version. I would not buy any version that has the rotary magazine.

mikey357 likes this.
  13. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I would like one in .300 AAC BLK for my suppressor.

14. 835mag

835mag

I have one in .308. 1.5” groups with cheap ammo. Seems like a good value.

garya1961 likes this.
  15. fishhunter3

fishhunter3

been looking at a Ruger American predator in 223 for my grandson. he really like shooting his 22lr and can hits the 12in plates out to 200 with not much effort. so I think the Ruger dropped into a boyd adj stock to fit him and I have a leupold 2x7 sitting around, this should work for him till he gets a bit bigger, he's kind of small even for a 9 year old

16. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I had a 223 Predator camo that shot 1/2" MOA but sold it because I cant move away from my AR Prairie Hunter for fast 2nd shots. I do have a American rimfire GoWild edition that is super nice.

For the budget Bolt gun, Rugers are prolly the best one around. I had a Savage Axis and my brother has one in 6.5 but I didnt care for it. Im getting ready to purchase a 450BM Ruger GoWild unless I can find a Mossberg Kuiu Camo edition model.

Border Bandit 32 likes this.
  17. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

Ruger American Standard in 223 with Vortex Crossfire II scope combo $476 @ Buds Guns

5 Shot groups @ 100 with Hornady 55Gr VMAX factory ammo....I think I got my moneys worth?? (No barrel cool down between shots)

Attached Files:

18. BassCatcher

BassCatcher

I've got one in .17 HMR with the short barrel. It has a permanent spot on my UTV. I like it.

19. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Several of us ordered the Ruger American rifles in 7.62x39. They are VERY accurate. Crappy? I like the rifle!

Flash

20. Church Key

Church Key

Have one in .223 that I use for plinking at 100 yards on my local range. Too lazy to walk out to the 200 yard line. It shoots 1" groups using Federal ammo. Don't hunt, but if I did would get one in 308. Agree that the rotary mags seem flimsy, but they work fine. Believe I paid about $350 with a scope. To me a good value.