Anyone have a new Kia Sportage Turbo?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Sep 4, 2018.

1. nsl

nsl

Just wondering how it compares to the Forester XT and similar vehicles.

2. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Related; No, but over the Labor day weekend, our local Kia dealer was selling new Optima's for $17,900. They are really a nice mid size car. One of my sons has one. Quality and reliability has been very good.

3. napp32

napp32

The first thing I check before buying any car is whether the engine is an "interference" engine in case of a timing belt failure. I will not buy any car with such an engine. I believe the Kia Sportage falls in that category. Other than that, I have no info that relates to your question.

4. jmohme

jmohme

All that I know is that the Forester does not have nearly as stupid a name!:rolleyes:

Yetiman likes this.
  5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I wouldn't be surprised if it was getting better but the main thing that has always turned me off from Kia was the crappy resale value.

deputy tom likes this.
  6. johnm88

johnm88 NRA Member

Buy American! :outtahere:

7. Zonny

Zonny

I have a 2018 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport - turbo but I know nothing about the Forester to compare.

8. RenoF250

RenoF250

Why? You are going to have a hard time buying any car then, anything with any kind of performance is interference. Otherwise it have low compression or the valves don't open very far. How about you just keep the cams turning on time and there is no interference??

LEO/Dad, treg, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  9. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

You have to run them until the wheels fall off. We bought a two year old a Kia Sportage and drove it for sixteen years. Got five hundred for it at trade in. Fourteen hundred dollars and lasted that long was a good value for us. This time we got a two year old Jeep. We'll see how that turns out. tom. :cowboy:

LEO/Dad, treg and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  10. MacMilly

MacMilly

11. mdlott

mdlott

Kia is made in West Point, GA. Hyundai is made in Montgomery, I think. Sister companies.

[email protected] and LEO/Dad like this.
  12. napp32

napp32

I'm an old time gear grinder. When someone says performance to me I think in terms of straight line performance. To me, that translates into american V8 engines....timing chains with no worry of timing belts breaking. My earlier post was related more to the type of car I would buy as a daily driver....not my go fast toy. Performance is not my priority on the street; because there isn't really any need for it where I live.

13. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Yes, as if new "American" V-8 engine have no problems and all those Honda's and Toyota's with interference engines can't possibly make it 200 thousand miles plus. LOL

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

Plenty of V8s are interference and most straight 4s have chains now. Also, performance is not just HP, it is also efficiency. You can't get great efficiency with low compression engines either so I really doubt there are any non-interference engines being made.

15. napp32

napp32

My original post had nothing to say about overall reliability. It was directed at only those interference engines that will grenade themselves if the timing belt should break while the engine is running. I understand that all cars require normal maintenance; but the cost of replacing a timing belt as routine maintenance can quickly wipe out any savings you might have realized from an otherwise economical car.

16. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

I had a 2014 Kia Sportage SX turbo. About 260 hp with AWD. It was a great engine and never gave me any trouble. The rest of the car had a hard time living up to the hype. Decent quality but lacking in interior ambiance. A few rattles emerged at about 12K miles or so. It was fun to drive and had acceptable economy for a turbo. I dislike the new styling or I might have bought another. There is no reason to think they won’t be reliable in the long run. I got rid of mine after being involved in a crash that left me disappointed with the repairs. No fault of Kia. I just hated looking at it everyday and wanted to be rid of the memories. They are good vehicles.

17. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

We see the Montgomery plant from the highway on our return from Florida. Massive.

mdlott likes this.
  18. JMag

JMag

Get the Stinger GT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

2019 Forrester is brand new. Saw one last week, it's a nice little car. Not sure when it will be available, I think in a few months.

My next vehicle will be a Subaru. Right now I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and it's a great car, but I can't pass up the employee discount that I have available to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk