anyone have a goldendoodle?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tim151515, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

just heard about them today. basicly they are a mix of a golden retriever and a poodle..and i guess, if done right..they maintain the personality of a retriever with the non-shedding of a poodle..and they are pretty nice looking dogs. look they would be a great family dog. anyone have one or experience with them?

[​IMG]

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

..........no man would admit to it

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

well my main criteria for a dog is one that doesnt shed...so yeah. i love my retrievers and dobermans etc...but i want one thats low maintenance. i mean, i have a scottie at my parents house right now..but i cant have any at my apt, but when i finish school and get my own place i would like to have a dog. and i dont base my masculinaty on the dog i own, so long as its not a yipper.

4. FLIPPER 348

'custom dogs' are for chicks and non-fat latte drinking men

Go rescue a dog and deal with a bit of shedding.

5. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

LoL. so your THAT guy. gotchya.

6. FLIPPER 348

yep

...and I don't lol ever

7. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

ok. im standing at parade rest right now typing with my nose because i have the upmost respect for you and all of your manliness. in fact, im not even worthy of talking to you, so have a nice day.

8. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Maybe not but 4 of my buddys own one.
    I don't like how they look(I DON'T LIKE POODLES) but they seem to be good dogs.

Have a couple of Friends with Labridoodles too.

I prefer regular goldens and labs myself

9. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

i agree, i prefer the reg breeds. my favorite breed is shepards and dobermans...i just dont want to have to vacuum every other day. i mean, i would have no problem with another scottie(not looking for a guard dog, as longs as he barks i can get up and protect myself)..but i would prefer a full size dog...and a full size poodle mixed with a retriever seems it would have all the atributes im looking for in a dog.

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

It's called a mutt.

11. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

I had a female friend with one. I don't get it. Seems like a cruel thing to do to a golden retriever.

12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Prefer a pure blooded dog myself, untampered with by designer breeding. In fact I want a purely American canid, not one of those pansified breeds from Europe.

100% pure Dire Wolf.

13. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

Mine is a Golden Pyrenees. Best dog ever. Well except for the shedding, but I put Shed Relief in her food and it is a big RELIEF. She can track moose, chase off bears, and ride on (or in) anything. Well except for my road bike. We haven't mastered that...yet.

14. Emoore

Emoore

Only about 1/5 to 1/3 of -doodles are non-shedding, and you won't know if you've gotten a non-shedding one or not until his puppy coat is gone. If it's important that you have a non-shedding dog, either get a purebred puppy from a breed that does not shed, or rescue an adult -doodle from a rescue group that can confirm whether it sheds or not.

An F1 cross of any animal is always going to be a bit of a risk because it's not a breed; it's a mutt and you have no idea what traits it's going to get from which parent. Puppies will be all over the map in all areas. If you go with a -doodle puppy, go with someone who has been breeding them for generations, not someone who stuck a random poodle with a random Golden.

15. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Met one once. Seemed like a great dog. Found out they don't come cheap.

16. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

get a rhodesian ridgeback . that will be my next big dog .

i hate poodles and designer dogs , you do know these half and half breeds carry both sets of inherited medical problems of both breeds /?

17. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

18. smokin762

smokin762

My sister has a Goldendoodle. Her kids are allergic to dog dander and when they wanted a dog, her options were limited.

I know people make fun of them, but just how many people actually have any experience with them. They were breed for a reason just like any pure bred was. It has a specific purpose.

My sister’s dog is a little over a year old. He weighs about 100lbs and he is very muscular. He also has a cool character about him.

My sister keeps up with training him. He is crate trained, just say go home and he will go to his cage. When he needs to go out, he will ring the bell that is attached to the door. He sleeps in the hallway in between my sister and her husband’s room and the kids rooms. He may look dorky, however he is very protective of the family.

I watched him for a week this past Christmas for my sister while they went on vacation. At the same time every day, he would remind me it was his dinner time. He would not bother anybody unless he wanted some attention. Then he would just put his paw on my knee and give a grunt. I would pet him for a little while and then he would go lay down.

My 14 year old daughter enjoyed having him around and so did I. She played with him a lot but when play time was over, he would go lay down. He was not a high maintenance dog that needed constant attention and I didn’thave to yell at him for getting into things all the time. He didn’t try to steal food off the table or attempt to eat my shoes. This I enjoyed the most.

In the past, I have had a few pure breeds with papers and a few mutts from the pound. I like my sisters dog the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldendoodle

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  19. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

What?

Not man enough to own one?

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot, a man must have a dog that makes his, "Manhood" feel bigger. :devildance:

:tongueout:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  20. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Or are you a cat person?

I think that's it! :supergrin:

(Real men have cats.)

:cat: