close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Have A DPMS Panther 5.56?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by obiestreasures, May 16, 2011.

1. obiestreasures

obiestreasures

I have a chance to get a DPMS Panther 5.56 at a great price?? and was wondering if anyone out there had any good or bad reports on that particular model?
    Thanks
    Ron

P.S. Here is my point. I have a S&W M&P Sport 5.56 on order at Cabelas which I have been waiting for the last five weeks and they called me this morning and said that it will take at least another 4 or 5 weeks till the S&W will come in BUT if I want they will give me the DPMS Panther 5.56 Oracle for the same price. Now the deal with Cabelas is that Iam gona get the S&W for $499. After checking out the two types I think the S&W may be worth waiting for. Iam in no hurry and can wait, what do ya think ,what would you guys do??

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Facejackets

Facejackets

What's the price? Anything over $450 it isn't worth it

3. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

4. zhix

zhix

I have no personal experience with DPMS but have had enough bad experience with other gun brands to believe that some of the horror stories are true.
    As far as specs. and customer service I have always heard good things about S&W and Dad has an M&P 15 that I have handled and shot a little bit with no problems. IMO keep waiting.

5. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Wait!! I wouldn't take a DPMS if some one gave it to me.

6. glock21xxx

glock21xxx

I have a DPMS and haven't had one problem with it....I have probably put about 2000 rounds through it to date with not one issue.....I don't see what the problem is? What is the price?

7. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Is the setup on it like you want or similar to the Smith and Wesson?

8. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

I'd wait if only because of the much better CS from S&W if it is ever needed.

But I have also had much better luck with my old DPMS than everyone's favorite "my little pony".

9. zhix

zhix

10. c01

c01 Crazy Eye

I took the DPMS Panther Oracle for the replacemenment for the S&W. I have 200 rnds through it no prob. It also has the forward assist and dust cover if that is something you want.

D

11. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

LMFAO, if EL CORONEL tells you tro WAIT then you WAIT SON he's the GOAT OF ARs

GOAT SON, Greatest Of All Time El Coronel!

12. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

If it was $600 or under, nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with dpms guns for 90% of shooters. Yeah so it's not "mil spec" & the problems are with that. Easily fixed with a "mil spec" BCG. The barrels are ok. I haven't seen one wear out & fail, the lowers are fine. The LPK's are fine, I use 3 in builds & not 1 has had any problem. In fact CMT makes most of the small AR parts & sells them to everyone else. The lowers are also made by a few suppliers & then sent out to whatever company to use with their watermarks.

The only issues with dpms guns right now is pricing. The AR market is saturated. There are a few good companies that do all the "mil spec" things & those guns are only about $200-300 more then what dpms sells their guns for. For most they would rather spend the extra $ for the "mil spec".

13. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Every gun maker has QC problems at some point. Keep that in mind. I have heard it from all of of them.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat

Excellent point.

16. obiestreasures

obiestreasures

Good point. That proves that a photo is worth a thousand words.
    Thanks
    Ron

17. will919

will919

I have owned a DPMS Panther Lite for a few years. I have made some changes i.e., RRA NM 2 stage trigger, quad rail forearm, quick release take down pin, Hogue grip, ambidextrous safety (lefty here) and finally Nikon 3X9-40 Pro Staff scope. I couldn't be happier with it. It is quite capable of shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at one hundred yards (match grade ammo). She eats anything I feed her. All in all for my purposes she is a fine AR-15.
    A gentlemen at the club I belong to shot it and was very surprised at its accuracy.
    So its a A++++ for me

18. bmoore

bmoore

Well I have an upper coming tuesday. Im doing a 20" AR-15 A2 build for a pinker and had no interest in spending 8 or 900 dollars on an uppper. I got the DPMS 20" A2 upper form Midway for 470, delivered to my door for 488. I have read that they are a fine for casual shooting and some acutally are very accurate. We will see.

19. bmoore

bmoore

BTW.....I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15 and it is great. Never had a single issue with it. Reliable, accurate and has even dumped a couple coyotes. Great guns.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  20. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I bought mine used in 2007 for $600 with a bunch of accessories.

I love it.

With match ammo it is way more than accurate enough for yotes out to 300yrd. I have had a variety of scopes on it, right now I have Bushnell 3x9x50 and it has held zero for about two years perfect.

It has eaten 4 or 5K of ammo from steel Russian to Black Hills Match and everything I can buy, even that horrendously dirty PMC. No issues with brass cased ammo ever.

I have had exactly one failure to eject after over a thousand rounds of steel cased ammo over a period two months with no cleaning. Much more reliable than the M4s I carried in the service, and far more accurate.

LOVE mine.

Best $600 I spent that year.