close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have a Dodge Nitro?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by fireguy129, Feb 13, 2010.

1. fireguy129

fireguy129

It's a snazzy looking suv, and the 03 Explorer is starting to get ready for replacement. Some of the reviews are less than favorable, but I don't put a lot of faith in commercial reviews. Anyone have something in the '07-08 range that would be willing to review for me? Reliability? Space? Backseat room is major for me with 2 kids in seats. I'm 5'9" so I don't want to lose the backseat room for my leg room. I really like the Explorer line, but the prices jumped about $3k out of my price range from when I bought mine in '05.

2. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Dodge Nitro SUV - The 3.7-liter SOHC V-6 engine produces 210 hp, rated at 16/22

Honda Odyssey relies on a 255-horsepower 3.5-liter V6, rated at 16/23

3. vart

vart

[​IMG]

4. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

I drove one a couple years ago. It was a loaner while my company car was in the shop. I chose it because the company was going to provide those in the next cycle.

I hated it. The window ergonomics make you have to reach up and out to access an ATM or a fast food window. The driver seat wasn't very ergo friendly at all. I forget all the specifics, but I really dreaded that it might end up being my next company car.

It had a cheap plastic, faux vinyl material for the dashboard and console.

I felt like I needed furry dice, spinner rims, and curb feelers on it.

I was embarrassed to drive it. If I had to get one for a company car, I was going to have bumper stickers printed that read "company car, I had no choice", and put on the side and rear windows.

It's a hummer wannabee, and a poor one at that.

5. sputnik767

sputnik767

If your explorer is falling apart after 7 years, I am not sure why you would even consider a company who's reliability rating is well below that of Ford. Buy a Honda or Toyota, and drive it for at least a decade, trouble free. My '03 Toyota still looks, runs, and feels the same as when I picked it up, brand new, 7 years ago. With zero problems, zero leaks, and zero complaints. Let's just say that I was 18, and drove it pretty hard for a couple of years.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If you get a Nitro make sure it is the 09 model and buy it new. Then you will have the unlimited powertrain warranty. I have a Ford with 700k on the original engine so I would say Fords are great but I also have a Dodge that has been very good. Anyone who says Jap cars are better is lying. Just go look at Honda and Toyota shops..they are busy. Is the Nitro as good as a Durango...no. Are they as good as an Explorer..no. Just shop around and buy what you like. All cars are just machines with an equal chance of breaking down.

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

No, they are usually basing it on personal experience. And my personal experience is extensive. And I do believe that the unlimited powertrain warranty is no longer offered on Chrysler vehicles. Or is that just the '10 models?

8. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

9. fireguy129

fireguy129

Thanks for the replies. Not having any problems with the explorer, but its going on 8-9 years old. I hate putting a single $1000+ repair into a vehicle that old. I like the style, but it seems to compare more with the Escape than the Explorer. I'd gladly get another Exp, but the pricing went way up. I bought the '03 two years old in '05. It was $13k, sticker price. Now the '07s are running $17-18k from the same dealer. Im not interested in a foreign, and the Chevy doesn't impress me.

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I think people don't go from experience. In my experience people who drive Japanese cars think a timing belt repair is a normal maintenance item while the driver of an American car calls that a repair and a reliability issue. I also see people driving Toyotas that get worse mileage than American models of the same size and class of car but swear the Toyotas are great. :supergrin: My dad drives a Toyota....maybe that s why I won't buy one. :rofl:

11. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

12. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

My girlfriend's father has an '08 I believe with over 80K miles on it (probably more as his daily commute is 80 miles and it was in the high 70s around the holidays.) He hates it and says it rides like crap but he's never had a single issue with it mechanically.

13. vart

vart

Then prepare to buy an inferior product.

It's like saying you you don't like S&W, Kimber is too much, and I refuse anything made by Sig or Glock, or H&K, so I'm going to buy a Raven or Lorcin...:upeyes:

14. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

If the vehicle is generally reliable, why not put a $1000 repair into it? How many months' payments on a new vehicle would that $1000 amount to? Every year you drive that Explorer, you're saving money by not buying a new one.

Given that Chrysler is the worst off of the "big 3" at this time, why buy a new vehicle from them? Disclaimer: I have a '97 Dodge CTD that will be around for many more years, but I doubt I'd jump at a new one just because of Chrysler's financial condition.

15. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

One thread seem to run through all Chrysler products - transmission issues. It is well noted that when they are 'fixed' by the dealer, the trans is repared only enough of get it out of the warranty period.

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Most transmissions in all cars go out between 80-150k. Chrysler is not the only one. I would buy what is affordable and liked.

17. quicksand

quicksand

That's the truth.

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

I'm sorry, but if I bought a car that had it's properly maintained transmission go out within that mileage range, I would not buy a car from that manufacturer again. That may be par for the course with the big 3, but in my experience, japanese vehicles can do much better. And I am speaking about automatics, not manuals. Hell, I know plenty of people with well over 100k miles on their unmaintained Japanese automatic transmissions, having no problems.

19. sputnik767

sputnik767

So you think that it is better to spend 15k on a new car now? If you have no problems, drive it until something major breaks or the vehicle becomes unreliable, and then get something new. Let's face it, your explorer is essentially worthless on the used car market now anyway. If your explorer has been flawless, as you implied, drive it into the ground and then get something else. And if you are adamant about getting something else, at least don't get that hideous Dodge Nitro. And whatever your reasons are for being against foreign cars, if you buy an American-made Honda or Toyota (most of them are US made now), you benefit American non-union autoworkers and american part suppliers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010