close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone have a Dachshund?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Ziess, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Ziess

Ziess Non-Believer

I just got a pure bred Dachshund and was curious if any oyher GTers have one and what they think about them.

Mine is great except that she is trouble to housebreak and won't repond to me when I call her. Other than that I absolutely love her. She's great at playing fetch and the sweetest dang dog I've ever had.

What are yours like and how'd you train 'em?

2. KB4IFS

KB4IFS MOLON LABE

I've had one for 14 years. They can be stubborn, however they are a great dog. Small, easy to feed and cleanup after, bark like any other hound at intruders. Enroll in a dog handling course and don't be disappointed if it doesn't do that well. Anything will help. As far a housingbreaking, take the dog out after every meal since most dogs will try to eliminate after feeding. Take it out first thing in the morning and before going to bed. Take out frequently otherwise. The dog will learn to associate voiding and elimination with being outside. Don't use paper in the house. You'll only end up breaking the dog from the house to the paper, then from the paper to the outside. Do away with the paper step. Should only take a few days. Good training.

3. Blah!

Blah! Guest

I got a couple Dachshunds! My male is 6 yers old and he is the most loyal dog I have ever had. My little female is the courtjester of the house she has a very funny personality. Your right they are a PITA to house train but eventually they get it. Dachshunds rule cats drool;a

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I'm 33 years old and from the age of 7 or so, ALL my parents ever owned were dachsies. I have one now. She's 9 years old and is the joy of my life.

They are a PITA to housebreak. They are strong-willed and sometimes will use the bathroom in the floor as an act of defiance (I know mine has). She'll easily take on an animal twice her size or larger.

I've yet to see a single one that didn't like to get in bed and go all the way under the covers to the foot of the bed. Mine sleeps in a child's sleeping bag beside the bed right now. She also likes to fetch and play and is pretty good at the whole "sit up" thing. They like to eat (A LOT) so be careful not to overfeed them.

In all, if you can get them past that first year or so, it's all downhill from there.

5. Mn. Fly Boy

Mn. Fly Boy Mn. Fly Boy

Yes I also have owned several Dashounds over the past 30 some years. They are wonderful dogs and are a real joy to have. I just recently lost my sweet Patunia Snookoms (Snookie) on Sept. 5, 2004. We had her 14 years and she brought so much love, joy and comfort into our lives. I will love and miss her forever. I haven't gotten over loosing her yet. I feal like part of me is missing and am helpless to do anything about it. I am sure that if there is a Heaven for dogs Snookie is sure to be there. May she rest in peace forever!
    Oh yes, she slept in bed with us also and I have to tell you they are wonderful in bed especially when it's cold because they go under and put out a lot of BTU's not to mention they make great foot warmers and pillows as well.
    Also Patunia was a wonderful mother. All though she didn't have any kids of her own she would mother any little baby thing like kittens, lambs, baby goats, etc. and I swear she would mother a snake if given the chance. She was so sweet and such a love. Damm I miss her!
    Good luck with your Dashound! Enjoy, they are precious.
    Mn. Fly Boy

6. Petra

Petra

Doxies are just the best! I've got 3 of them and they each have their own personality. Duncan is a lover, Gretchen is a princess (but can also be a scrapper), and Junior is the cranky old man with a heart of gold.

I hear everyone has trouble house breaking their Doxie. All of ours came to us some what trained. Gretchen and Junior were both adults when we got them so they were already house broke. Duncan was 4 months old and he was crate trained. Only took a little bit of work to get him house broke.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Mark

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Sorry to hear about losing your girl Mn. Fly Boy........14 yrs is a heck of a long time!!! I know what it's like losing a buddy as I just went thru it myself July 6th. Broke my heart.....totally.