Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my scherer ones supposedly won't work with the 3rd gen "#4" .45 acp follower. i don't know if it's true, and i've studied it without a conclusion. all i know is i can only get 1 additional round in for at total of 14 and scherer or lonewolf don't have a fix for it.

does anyone have an extension that will surely allow me to add +2 to my .45 acp 13 round glock 21 magazines? pearce?

thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
I believe you spoke with Ian about this problem. He called down to ask me what I thought. I think there was talk about you calling and Scherer saying it is the new follower at fault?

I just install a Scherer +2 on a brand new M/21 mag. The 15th round was hard to put in but it is also a brand new mag. Make sure they are installed correctly and fight that last one on, it will go.

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe you spoke with Ian about this problem. He called down to ask me what I thought. I think there was talk about you calling and Scherer saying it is the new follower at fault?

I just install a Scherer +2 on a brand new M/21 mag. The 15th round was hard to put in but it is also a brand new mag. Make sure they are installed correctly and fight that last one on, it will go.
yep, that was me! ian called me back and told me that you/he didn't think the follower story was plausible so i'm stumped.

you installed one of these things and it worked?! man, i've tried everything. the mags i have (sans one new one i got from you guys) are several months old, are stored with rounds in them, and are used every weekend.

I've made sure that the spring is seated properly in the base. BTW why is that L plate shaped like that?

·
Registered
261 Posts
builthatch,

"L" shape… good one, you will need to ask Scherer to answer that question. My guess, original design and they never changed it.

Yes, brand new mag, took a Scherer +2 large ( 10mm & 45ACP ) out of stock and tried it my self. I am sorry, now you have me stumped as well. If you can not find any one in your area to help, I would like to take a look at your mags and +2's. I will not ship back your mag's with out a +2 on the bottom that works.

So far ( for me ) you are the first to come up with this problem. But wait and see, these GT guys are many, if there is a problem you will hear about it.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,585 Posts
Well, here's a new G21 mag that came with my G21SF. It has a Pearce +2 on it and there are 15 rounds in it, but I've not tried shooting with it yet to insure that it functions.

The only caveat is that it is like the old style Glock +2 in that it has no retainer in it, so it's not likely to be as secure as some might like it to be.

My personal preference goes to Pearce products long before anything Scherer makes, but the lack of a retainer is a factor.

Arredondo makes some very good extensions and has a +4 for the G21 mags....but they are a bit pricey.

:patriot:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Try the Arrendondo +3s or +5s. And they won't pop off randomly. The Schrer is FAR better than the Pierce, which are FAR better than the GLOCK factory extensions, but they'll all screw you. Go with Dawsons or Arrendondo and they'll be secure and work.

Dan

Ps--Love the avatar. Boxers rule!

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Try the Arrendondo +3s or +5s. And they won't pop off randomly. The Schrer is FAR better than the Pierce, which are FAR better than the GLOCK factory extensions, but they'll all screw you. Go with Dawsons or Arrendondo and they'll be secure and work.

Dan

Ps--Love the avatar. Boxers rule!
hey thanks! i've got a fawn boy, 4.5 years. he loves the beach....and exercise in general. he's a fantastic dog!

a problem is i'm in NJ and the max capacity allowed is 15. i don't see one that will only add +2 in the dawson or arredondo offerings...stinks.

butch, that pearce piece looks just like the scherer. so you are saying there is no bottom spring retainer plate in theirs? this one has a weird L shaped piece that i'm sure is inhibiting things. out of curiousity, is there a hole for a spring plate 'nub' in the bottom of the pearce unit?

[email protected], thanks, i'm inclined to send you one of my mags so you can see what's doin'. are you using the L shaped piece in there?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Boxers...I love 'em--we just lost our 5 year old male (90 pounds), but picked up a half brother that will bejust as big. I'll never be without a boxer again.

You can use the GLOCK keeper, but they will still pop off on ya. I'm sorry you're in NJ man! +3 are the smallest that Dawson or Arrendondo do.

I shoot USPSA in Limited; trust me, the GLOCK, Pierce and Schrer are junk. I won't trust my score to them, and I'm beggin ya not to trust your life to them. I've seen...10? do the "speed unload" in matches. That means puking the rounds out the bottom in a grenade like fashion. Sometimes it happens when they're dropped, and sometimes while they're in the gun. The guys who swear it's never happend to them haven't been shooting long enough. It will. I've had 2 dump out on me me during practice, and since then all 12 have been retired for Arrendondo or Dawson +5s.

Dan

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES! Use Arendondo or Dawson +3, +5, or +10 extensions.

They are ultimately secure--no pop-offs, no BS, and come with springs. You can order from Midway, Brownells, or Shootersconnection.
i can't though...that would be illegal in NJ. max capacity is 15 : (

i can only go +2.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,585 Posts
butch, that pearce piece looks just like the scherer.
That doesn't surprise me.....

so you are saying there is no bottom spring retainer plate in theirs? this one has a weird L shaped piece that i'm sure is inhibiting things. out of curiousity, is there a hole for a spring plate 'nub' in the bottom of the pearce unit?
Correct, no retainer, and no hole.....unless they've redesigned them recently, the one I have doesn't.

·
Registered
261 Posts
[email protected], thanks, i'm inclined to send you one of my mags so you can see what's doin'. are you using the L shaped piece in there?

Correct, I am using the same "L" insert as you.

What I am thinking:
As you mag spring is compressing ( loading rounds ) a coil or two is jumping on the wrong side of that "L" mag insert. (see pic)

I know, it's out there. But, that is all I can think of for the time. Like we said before " stumped "

Last try for the night…. Take out the "L" insert and see if you can load the 15 rounds ( everything except the "L" insert). That should tell you something.

Talk to you tomorrow.

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,585 Posts
I know, it's out there. But, that is all I can think of for the time. Like we said before " stumped "
It's not all that far out....the retainer can hook on the spring, and if it is, I would expect it to leave marks on the retainer that you should be able to see.

Which also makes me wonder if the Scherer retainer could be installed backwards.....so the 'nipple' on it isn't slipping into the hole in the extension?

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks all. i really appreciate the help. i'm so technical and particular as a tinkerer that sometimes i scare people off.

dan, one thought that entered my head as well was that the L point was doing something like what you mention. since receipt of these i've assembled and re-assembled over and over and have not had one change so if that is the problem, i dont think i could be able to solve it...what i mean is i can't manuever it any differently. it fits one way and i can't get it to fit any other way, or change attitude during loading.

after my last post i was at the bench playing with it. butch's comment about not having a retainer inspired me to try it w/o one. sure enough it worked, however, not having a plate makes for a somewhat cumbersome floorplate removal!

so, calling upon my RC car and model building experience, i trimmed the point of the L completely off. that gives me the spring plate i need, but also removes any possible interference.

it works in that 15 rounds fit. the magazine snaps into the gun but need a little more force than normal. the problem i have now is the intial chambering slide rack is WAY stiffer than normal. it can't be good for the gun. the first round is angled up slightly toward the front more than when there is 14 in there/ a regular magazine. i cycled the entire mag after that without any problems, but regardless, it looks like despite 15 fitting i'm still stuck with only 14 hahaha

despite all of this, you can bet that the mag that stays in the gun at night is a bone stock 13 round glock mag!

butch, that pic you have in your post...that looks like some sort of triangle retainer? where is that from as i thought your pearce unit didn't have one?

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,585 Posts
butch, that pic you have in your post...that looks like some sort of triangle retainer? where is that from as i thought your pearce unit didn't have one?
That's a retainer from a Pearce PG2733....which fits the G26, 27, and 33.

Also, I'm kinda thinking that having trimmed off what you did, the retainer would not now do what it's supposed to.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Same problem here! I took the "L" off, then 15 inside. Is this solution dangerous? it seem to be very strong holded.

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That's a retainer from a Pearce PG2733....which fits the G26, 27, and 33.

Also, I'm kinda thinking that having trimmed off what you did, the retainer would not now do what it's supposed to.....

ahh, ic.

i'm not sure regarding the trimming. the main thing for me was that i still have a spring plate, which is crucial when taking these things apart. that is why i'm so surprised your pearce unit doesn't have 'em because it's quite a PITA taking the floor otherwise. basically the spring plate in there now is sorta like a stock glock plate, but smaller and without the ridges to help retain the spring...however there is that center 'cross', something the stock plate doesn't have.

oh well, 14 rounds will have to do! thanks again everyone!

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same problem here! I took the "L" off, then 15 inside. Is this solution dangerous? it seem to be very strong holded.
15 fit, but does the first round chamber normally? does the mag snap in the mag well normally?

when you say you took the "l" off, did you cut it like i did? or just remove the whole plate totally?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've had poor luck with Scherer +2's. Never again, and definitely not on any of my carry magazines.

That, and I'm not the type to own "range only" mags. If it doesn't work, it's either getting sold or thrown in the garbage.

·
1-technique
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had poor luck with Scherer +2's. Never again, and definitely not on any of my carry magazines.

That, and I'm not the type to own "range only" mags. If it doesn't work, it's either getting sold or thrown in the garbage.
yeah, the mag that stays in the gun on the daily is bone stock 13 round glock mag, untouched.

i wish that arredondo made a +2 or +3 for .45. they don't, only for smaller caliber. the .45/10mm stuff is like +5!

w/ +2 or +3 (comfortable fit for +2) I could have a NJ max capacity 15 round mag but not have to worry about a mickey mouse setup.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
I have the same problem with my Sherer +2's. I am also suspicious of the "L." It's not sized or shaped in a way that gives me confidence it's not hanging up the spring. I may try trimming them down as well.

By comparison, my PG-39 has a "bucket" instead of an "L" and it engages the spring very cleanly. No problems at all getting 2 extra fo-tay's into it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts