Anyone had Gastric bypass

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Anyone had Gastric bypass, I had mine done in the winter of 2001 would like to hear how yours turned out.

I was a normal active adult about 225 lbs 6' tall then I was hit by a drunk driver and my active lifestyle came to a sudden halt and I ballooned up to 350 lbs became diabetic, my Dr recommended the procedure which I had done. I developed complications from the surgery and almost died, spent a month in the hospital I went from 350Lbs to 180 and have kept the weight off.

I now almost ten years later find that I can't seem to stop eating hungry all the time but still am able to keep my weight at 180 thank God, I also find that I became lactose intolerant to a small degree.
    I am very happy with my weight and ability to maintain it.
    so what have you experienced from your gastric your gastric bypass would like to hear your stories.
    I hear a lot of horror stories about people gaining all the weight plus some back. I find I can eat anything I want just not as much.
    Regards
    DW

2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

My cousin married a woman, she was 450 pounds. She eventually had it done and didn't have any complications. They divorced not long after her surgury. I recently saw pictures of her, you wouldn't even reconize her. I beleive she's down to about 165.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

My neighbor had it about 12 years ago. Like you, she almost died. Lost half the weight in the hospital. She's maintained for the entire time. Not rail-thin, but properly sized for her age.

4. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Wow, is it common to get infections or were the complications related to it being a new procedure at the time?

5. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Infections are a common risk, 1 out of 100 die from the procedure
    I was almost that one

Regards
    DW

6. PBCounty

PBCounty

My uncle (less than fifty) was in good health other than being quite fat. Very active business owner and all that....just fat. He got it done and dropped weight quick....and died soon after. First the diabetes set in out of nowhere, and then all kinds of other little heart troubles and what not. He died at his kitchen sink a few months ago.

Did the procedure "kill" him? Maybe and maybe not. It could have been his eating and weight that he carried around for thirty years that eventually caught up with him.....hard to say.

7. ronin_the_great

ronin_the_great

I'm more interested in the lap band I think. Seems a lot less evasive for the same concept. But I've reserched nether, so I might be speaking out my wahoo.

8. ssgt_acft_mech

ssgt_acft_mech

The wife had it done a couple of yrs ago while I was deployed......went from 315 to 170 while I was gone.....talk about a change when I stepped off the plane! She has said she doesnt regret getting it done but if she went back in time it wouldnt happen....It messed with her pretty bad

9. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

One of my sisters got it done, for the wrong reasons. She claimed she had so many medical problems which caused her to be fat. I tried explaining to her that she had so many medical problems BECAUSE she was fat. But she is lazy and has a sense of entitlement so she had the surgery.

I don't believe she had any out of the ordinary complications, but I would have to say it has ruined her marriage. I guess becoming skinny again, gives a woman license to act like a teenage whore again.

10. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I have seen relatives go through stomach surgery (not related to weight) and if I had the choice between gastric bypass and plain old starvation I would starve myself thin. I don't understand why people thing having part of your guts ripped out is an easy way to lose weight.