anyone had fusion of a big toe?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Koba, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Koba

Koba

Long shot I know but has anyone had one? I am looking at this whenever I get sick of my foot hurting, and am just wondering how it is after it's done.

2. OGW

OGW SAF

Do you have zero cartilage at the base joint of the toe? That's where I've been for many years, pretty much constant pain, big calcium ridge at the joint. I was told that a fusion would relieve the pain but the lack of movement in that joint would be a problem.

3. Koba

Koba

Not there yet, but it's going there. I've already had two surgeries in the foot to try and heal the damage. It already has little range of motion, so losing it is not a great loss

4. OGW

OGW SAF

I find that my various arthritic joints require motion and feel better if they get it. I walk around five miles daily, but find that a rigid hiking boot is essential. I can't wear the soft, light, flexible variety anymore. I've avoided fusion of the joint because I fear some loss of balancing ability if I can't move the toe. Yeah, sometimes the pain is almost unbearable, but movement helps more than anything.

5. Koba

Koba

I had to quit wearing the vibrams I love due to it, and need a stiff shoe/hiking boot. Fusion is a big deal I know, and I'm not rushing into it.

6. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

Looked into it last year. Decided not to have it done do to issues it could cause with joints in the foot compensating for it. Settled for them scrapping the joint and steroids. No improvement. :crying::crying:

7. OGW

OGW SAF

I talked to an ortho doc who was real eager to grind away all the calcium but my PC doc said that there'd be issues from opening the capsule/scar tissue and just to live with it.

I also had a steroid injection into the joint years ago hoping for some temporary relief, but the injection hurt like all holy hell and the relief was short lived--a few days. Not worth it. I just suck it up and live normal life with a sore foot.

Paul53 likes this.
  8. Koba

Koba

I am currently 2 surgeries in on this toe, with no improvement. I have had a bone spur removed, and had an osteoectomy (sp) to re angle the toe. Now it moves less than ever and on last xray the cartridge is thinning out. Every so often when I move something catches in it and shoots pain in the foot. All that's left for it is fusion.

9. OGW

OGW SAF

I'd appreciate hearing your experience with the fusion if you have it.

10. Koba

Koba

I will post the details when it happens. I just wonder if I do it before I fully wreck the toe, will I get a better recovery/outcome? I doubt it, but it's very annoying now and the pain is only nagging most the time.

11. hrygeek

hrygeek Thank you USM

I had surgery 2 years ago to remove the sesamoid bone that had been dislodged and rubbed all the cartilage down to bone. 2 screws and a staple and now my only option is fusion. I too am weary because of the range of motion and the fact that if you break it, you're basically screwed. I haven't had the steroid shots yet but only because I'm too hard headed.

12. Koba

Koba

I never found the shots worth it. It hurt like crazy going in, burned for a few days, then wore off. No long term help at all

13. OGW

OGW SAF

Yep. When I had mine quite a few years ago it was $90 a pop, too.

14. F350

F350

I had a foot doc diagnose mine as (big long Latin word) meaning "Stiff Big Toe" due to no cartilage left, offered to remove the bone and put in a steel rod. Didn't sound like fun so he said he would prescribe a metal plate to put in my boot to keep the toe from bending and mother nature would fuse the joint in a short time. Worked like a charm, the toe isn't totally stiff but doesn't bend much and doesn't hurt at all. The first joint is enlarged but doesn't cause any trouble except I can't wear pointed toe cowboy boots.

15. nursetim

nursetim

What would be the consequences of amputation?

16. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

that's what I was thinking?

17. Koba

Koba

I asked if he'd amputate jokingly. He did not seem to appreciate the joke

18. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

My ring finger toe on the left foot has been broken four times ansd it healed badly years ago. When it get bad I see a doc and have been offered the surgery but it seems like not to many have had great results.

When I asked about removal, the doctor was not amused. The thing hurts 90% of the time lately and I can't believe removing it is such a big deal.

19. nursetim

nursetim

Look him in the eye and ask why not? Therapeutic amputation is not unheard of. Or maybe ablation of the nerve to that toe.

Maybe the MD's might chime in on why amputation is so frowned upon.

20. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

I had my right big toe fused about 16 years ago. I had no cartilage left between the bones and went as far as I could with steroids and orthotics. Recovery was no fun at all - I remember pain on a biblical scale when I thought I didn't need the pain meds. Now that all is settled, the main thing is that my gait must have changed because I get calluses in weird places on my foot, but I can walk without pain. I remember that my podiatrist wanted to remove the joint and just let the toe flop around, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon who specialized in sports medicine to get the procedure done. Good news is that he figured I'd need the other one done eventually but it hasn't been necessary. I think a lot of my problem was from wearing dress shoes and having a long walk on concrete from the train to work and back every day. Retirement to the rescue. It is strange that one toe is a half inch shorter than the other one. Plus, I'll never get gout in that joint. I'd do it again, but I wouldn't look forward to it.