close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone got a Santoku blade in their block?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lwt210, Nov 9, 2004.

1. lwt210

lwt210

Got two slots left open in the block and am going to fill them up next month. Looking at getting a santoku blade for veggie prep.

Are they all that they are cracked up to be? It will either be another Henckles or a Wusthof. Which ever one feels better in the hand.

Lemme know experiences and suggestions. Thanks in adv.

2. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Funny you should mention it. I was just talking with my girlfriend today about how I need to get one. I have used them and prefer them to my normal 'tool' (8" forged chefs knife). I find that the less things stick to the blade and especially for veggies it just plain worked. Either brand is excellent normally, but I've read good reviews about this one: http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/MAC_Knives_SK65_Superior_Santoku_6-5_inch.html

Hope it helps, and please let me know if you do decide to try one out.

ps. Here's a Henckel's Santoku on Amazon for 29.99: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007BKRT/002-0859703-5764841?v=glance
    It's not the top tier, but for that price at least you can test it out and always upgrade. ;c

3. ProfMoriarty

ProfMoriarty

I have a Wusthof Grand Prix.

Once you have one, it becomes indispensable.

The damned thing is a hand held food processor.

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Mine is the Henckels Pro S...
    It's the 4th from the left in the photo...

I like it, but it's a toss up whether I use the 8" Chef, 6" Wide Chef, or the Santoku
    for any given task...

The blade is almost flat, so you just don't do the "rocking-chopping" motion with the Santoku so much,
    like you would for mincing garlic...
    It's more of a straight downward motion, or a slight drag forward/backward for slicing...
    Good for chopping vegetables... It has a thinner blade than either of the chef's...
    You definitely want to stay away from bones with it...

Again, I like it, and use it, but it doesn't stand out as anything super special,
    even tho I'm liking "thin blade" knives a lot lately...

My Mundial 6" Slicer (sandwich knife) has a real thin blade, and it goes thru stuff without creating much of a drag...
    Darn, it's the knife covered up by the vermouth bottle in the pic...

;c

5. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Cooks Illustrated (The consumer reports of the cooking world) did a review on Santuko knives a few months ago.

They had all the high end and big name brands and ended up recommending a brand called MAC.

I found one online at a local Asian store but haven't gotten around to getting over there to buy it.

Here's a link to the knife at the local store.

http://www.houserice.com/macssakn.html

Here's a link to the MAC website.

http://www.macknife.com/

They also have a professional series Santuko knife.

6. lwt210

lwt210

Yeah, that sounds like what I am looking for. Something to dice and slice tomatoes, onions, celery, peppers....that kind of thing.

I have it narrowed down to the J.A.H. or the Wusthof. Bed bath and beyond will let me use my coupon on the Wusthof but not on the J.A. blades. 20 percent off is about eighteen bucks so that may be enough incentive to go with the Wusthof.

Oh well. Won't be doing anything until the twelfth of next month so I guess I have time to think about it.

7. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

This knife is GREAT for cutting tomatoes...

[​IMG]

The serrated edge goes right thru the resistant skin...
    zip zip zip...

;c

8. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Alton Brown likes the Kershaw Shun, which are also at BB&B (more expensive though). If you've got the coupon maybe it'll be worth getting more expensive now rather than upgrading later. I'm going to go check it out this week here, as I've got a drawer full of those coupons. As an FYI Linens n' Things will also take the BB&B coupons (and vice-versa), so you might want to check there.