close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone going to Formula 1 race next weekend?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hpracing007, Nov 11, 2012.

1. hpracing007

hpracing007

Thinking about it... a little pricey... Maybe towards the end of the week I can snag a couple of craigslist for cheaper.

I've never actually been to a major race of any type. Anyone know what exactly is a general admission ticket is?

2. Hurricanes

Hurricanes

I would have loved to, but I don't have that kind of money to spend. Hotels were going for ridiculous amounts of money per night, and the ticket prices were pretty expensive. If I ever decide to spend that kind of money to see a Formula 1 race in person, I'll be watching it in Europe not in the States.
    -Joel

3. Altaris

Altaris

I think all car racing is pretty dumb (Nascar, F1, drag-racing), but with all of the hype around town this past month it has even got me tempted to try and watch it. I have quite a few friends that have tickets.

You are right about the hotel prices as well. I also have 3 different friends that live in apartments and condos downtown, that are renting them out for the week at insanely high prices.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. slick64

slick64

I'll be there! Can't wait. This season has been one of the best ever.

5. Slug71

Slug71

6. Slug71

Slug71

F1 is very different from NASCAR and Drag racing. Its a lot like Indy Cars but sooo much more advanced. They sound incredible! The steering wheel alone cost something like $20,000!!:what:

7. slick64

slick64

A bit higher than that. Some are in the $60K and above range.

Each team is a manufacturer, and has to develop their own cars within certain guidelines. They have some of the best engineers in the world.

I have heard they spend more on catering, then some Nascar Teams use for a full season.

Its not just about the on-track racing that I enjoy, but the pursuit of technology and the competition between the top teams like McLaren and Ferrari who like Williams have been around awhile.

Red Bull has done an amazing job for not being in very long, but most of the credit goes to Adrian Newey for Design, and then Christian Horner for running the operation.

8. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I used to go to the Meadowlands GP all the time back in the eighties. Great stuff... HH

9. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Been to a couple here in Las Vegas back in the day. Like other races, you get to see a blur of color whiz by, hear some awesome engine/gear shifting, but don't really get to see "the Big Picture".

Where you observe the race is important. A good Bar with a big screen TV is just about right. Or a seat with a view of a hairpin w/ straightaway either coming or going.

Bring a good camera and enjoy.

However, on a related note, most of the women are lean, lithe, fast, hot, colorful, fun to watch and, sadly, also priced way out of my league. :whistling:

10. phil evans

phil evans

we live in austin, we will hunker down next week end and abandon the roadways&infrastructure to the interlopers.

11. boomhower

boomhower

Nope. Ticket prices aren't to bad for what it is but hotel rates are absolutely insane.

I don't know if it's that much but it is staggeringly large. Top NASCAR teams spend around 120mil/year(30mil car times four cars). Hendrick and Rousche are likely the only two that spend that much. F1 teams on the other spend around $250mil for two cars for the big three teams, though it's rumored Red Bull spent $350mil winning the 2011 title. So on average then spend around double. That's not at all surprising though. I'd hate to see what they spend a season just in travel costs. Flying the cars and equipment all over the world. Flying the crew, paying hotels, food, etc. The costs have to be staggering.

It's also the technical aspect of F1 that draws me in. Until DRS and Pirelli the races were typically extremely boring.

12. slick64

slick64

You better double that number....I know McLaren and Ferrari were spending roughly $750M per year not that long ago.

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Not going to the race but in charge of the helo operations at the KHYI [San Marcus] airport from 8am to 12pm Fri thru Sun and landings every 5 min. I heard 120,000 people and 70,000 from out of country. Do you believe these people are paying $1500 for two flights for 3 days for a 15 min flight.:faint: Don't know the price of tickets.:dunno:

14. slick64

slick64

Slight research has shown that the top teams have drastically cut budgets from the highs I previously stated. Red Bull had an estimated budget of 300M Euros, and McLaren was slightly higher.

Here are some numbers from 2009:
    No. 1: Ferrari
    Current Value: $1.05 billion
    Owner: Fiat Group
    2009 Revenue: $308 million
    2009 Operating Budget: $320 million
    Major Sponsors: Marlboro, Shell

No. 2: McLaren Mercedes
    Current Value: $805 million
    Owners: Ron Dennis, TAG Group
    2009 Revenue: $267 million
    2009 Operating Budget: $385 million
    Major Sponsors: Vodafone, Mobil 1

No. 3: Mercedes
    Current Value: $260 million
    Owner: Daimler
    2009 Revenue: $104 million
    2009 Operating Budget: $140 million
    Major Sponsors: Petronas, Autonomy

No. 4: Renault
    Current Value: $245 million
    Owners: Gerard Lopez, Eric Lux
    2009 Revenue: $176 million
    2009 Budget: $295 million
    Major Sponsors: Total, Bridgestone

No. 5: Red Bull
    Current Value: $240 million
    Owner: Red Bull
    2009 Revenue: $96 million
    2009 Operating Budget: $175 million
    Major Sponsors: Total, Rauch

No. 6: Williams
    Current Value: $205 million
    Owner: Frank Williams
    2009 Revenue: $132 million
    2009 Operating Budget: $150 million
    Major Sponsors: AT&T, Philips, RBS

15. slick64

slick64

Convenience is everything. The race will be about schmoozing and entertaining sponsors and clients.

16. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

You got that right. One of the big wigs is Bill Gates. I doubt I see him but who knows. I want to mess with him and tell him I have a problem with my digital mouse.:rofl:

17. slick64

slick64

The IT Industry Leaders are all involved highly in F1. CFD is one of the leading technologies for the teams. They have some of the most advanced computers in the world.

18. hpracing007

hpracing007

Are they for sure doing it next year? (Don't know how the F1 contracts work) I might wait meh

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  19. slick64

slick64

TX is coughing up $25M per year for the rights to host the race. We'll see.....mostly Governments pay that fee.

20. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I was told every year. That plus 4 more events. One was motorcycles and other type of races and also two music events.