Anyone getting 0.5" groups @ 100yds with your AR15 5.56 carbine?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by X45GAP, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

My most accurate carbine is my Noveske N4 and its not a half moa gun. more like 1.25 moa. I have never seen a AR carbine that was .5 moa. Not saying its not possible.
    Pat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is my best group with the N4 not the average. Here are some more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

My 20 inch Larue with a Stainless barrel comes very close. Its average is .64 for 5 shot groups at 100 yards with over 25 groups shot so far. Stainless makes the difference. Chrome bores generally are not as accurate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Why would I take a pic of a group? I write down in my reloading log book how what load shot in what gun.

4. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

5. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I take pics of my groups for bragging rights and to have a visual documentation of what happened.
    pat

6. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

:tongueout:

Trust me, I would have called bull**** if not for who said it happened.

7. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

APP,

I'm guessing these are all at 100 yards?

My RRA Pursuit can turn groups like that, but it's a bit heavier rifle. I'm going to go on the record and say no stock M4-type Carbine profile can do it, unless a machine rest is used.

8. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Was he wearing a cape with a Ranger Tab on it???

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Again, I am skeptical of the guy's claim, but he is not known for BS. Oh well.

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sorry... I just can't let it go... he's not known for BS except when bragging of 700 yard shots, from a 10.5" AR ON A POPPER!?!?!?!

I'd ***** slap my grandpa if he said that ****...

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Yes 100 yards. I posted a lot of pics. The sub moa groups were from my 20 inch Larue which I imagine is similar to your RRA in size and weight. The carbine groups averaged 1.25 moa.
    Pat

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  12. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

It's this one:

http://adcofirearms.com/shoppingcartmap.cfm?orderno=90051390

I've had it print some absolutely amazing groups at 100m with a 16x Super Sniper up top and an RRA national match 2 stage trigger.

I recommend that upper to everyone over all the expensive SPR stuff... it's an incredible value. I even saw one on ARFCOM EE for $500 not long ago and wanted to buy another one!!!

13. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Poppers are *not* a small target. They are over 41 inches tall and 12 inches wide. Thats a 1.7-ish MOA target at 700 yards. Once you get the wind, hitting it is easy with 41 inches of elevation to play with.

We shoot them every month out to 425 yards from awkward field positions like over barrels, around barricades, mono-pod prone, ect. Most everybody is using ACOGs of some other low powdered scope.

With a decent rest and a higher powered scope, getting on target in a few rounds would not be hard.

Barrel length has little to do with accuracy. I have a 9.5 Noveske in 300 Whisper that is sub-MOA out past 400 yards.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Yeah, the guy in question runs an ACOG and Surefire can. He never claimed, to my knowledge, to be making a hit with every shot - just that he was making hits at that range.

15. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Thanks, I know what they are.

That's 60% of the way out there.

16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Assuming there is no wind I don't think it would be that hard. I have grouped my Noveske carbine (14.5 inch) at 500 yards and my groups hovered between 6 and 9 inches. So a few hudnred more yards on a larger target is doable assuming the wind is not acting up. At the range I practice my long range stuff at the wind is always blowing and much past 500 is hard with the 5.56. Hell 500 was hard. When the wind was constant its not so bad but when you get gusts it sucks.
    Pat

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  17. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Yes, only 60% of the way there. Huffing and puffing from lack of oxygen at 6,000 feet, trying to do it fast while the timer is running and off a crappy rest like a pile of tires, barrels, staircase, ect with no decent rest.

I bet a bottle of Cabo Wabo that he did it.

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    My current SBR is an 11.5 inch BCM, but I'd bet if I took one of my scopes off another rifle, put a good zero on it, used good ammo and got to a 700 yard range with that size target, and decent range conditions I could probably hit the popper inside 10 rounds.

Not sure how many rounds I could get on target, but I bet I could manage atleast 2 out of 10.

19. Popsmoke

Popsmoke

Not long ago I went on a mission to determine my truth about about this - not to draw fire here these are my conclusions on the topic of AR Accuracy:

To keep the comparisons focused on rifle accuracy I kept my tests to manufacturers stock rifles with commercially available over-the-counter ammo. I used the same scope on all of my tests a high quality 10X.
    I tested rifles from various manufactuers including : Rock River, Noveske, LWRC, Sabre, and DPMS.
    I found that some rifles shot better than others, and some that I thought would be really good did not perform so well for me.
    Also, most importantly, twist rates highly influence accuracy for a given bullet weight.

Ammo used was Black Hills 55, 69, and 77 grain RED box -new ammo.
    other ammo was used but results were usually not as good as with BH Ammo.

Twist rates used were 1:7, 1:8, 1:9.
    Conclusions:
    Fast twist rates - 1:7, shot light bullets like the 55 grain the poorest.

Generally speaking for any particular twist rate heavier bullets shot better than light bullets.

Overall conclusion - choose the bullet weight you want to shoot and then choose the optimal twist, OR, choose the best bullet weight for the twist you have.

Or, for me, the 1:8 twist represents the best overall compromise in twist rate and bullet performance for all types of bullets.
    I can produce moa results by rifle and by twist rate by ammo weight - but that is too lengthy for this.

And to answer the question everyone wants to know - only 1 AR of mine can produce near 1 MOA shooting somewhat reliably. I have several sub moa groups but I am talking about what I can expect to do ON DEMAND.

I believe that most AR are 1.5-2 MOA guns. I have found that some folks go to the range manage to shoot a 1 moa group in thirty tries and believe they and their gun are 1 moa capable - bull.

I have also found that very very very few folks can take their stock AR and shoot commercial ammo and shoot 1 moa - ON DEMAND.

Just because you did it once makes you a statistical accurance - the question is - can you do it on demand or what do you shoot regularly?

My explaination is:
    AR's are battle rifles made to battle specifications for mass production and loose tolerances for battle conditions. Manufacturers dont want to produce 1 moa battle rifles - the tolerance are too close for ultimate reliability and the craftmanship necessary would drive the price up and out of the battle rifle range.

Besides, just call a manufacturer and ask them what their MOA specification is. Some will tell you 1 MOA. If they don't qualify that boast immediately with ammo type - then you should assume you can take any ammo and shoot an MOA?
    Not likely.
    Or ask them to qualify that statement and check out the double talk.

Next time you hear of someone shooting a AR into 1 moa, ask , is that rifle stock? With what ammo?
    If they say its a stock AR with commercial ammo - ask them to do it in front of you, take them up on it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  20. RH45

RH45

I don't own any carbines, but, most of the rifles I've owned or shot have been a lot more accurate with handloaded ammo over commercial ammo.

I would think that even if it is a carbine, if it has a good barrel, and the right ammo, it's doable.