close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone get their Class A by doing an AFF course?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock39Pirate, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Glock39Pirate

Glock39Pirate

Taking the plunge in a couple weeks, thoughts,advice,tips,stories anyone?

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I got my Class As issued to me in Basic. Dunno what an AFF course is.

3. Glock39Pirate

Glock39Pirate

Funny! I should have clarified. Class A skydive license, AFF is an accelerated free fall course. I figured anyone thats familiar would know what I was talking about.:tongueout:

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Ahhhh, bird poop and rain drops. Got it.

<- spent 9ish years on Ft Bragg

Class A is also a driver's license type, a carry permit in Mass and other things I can think of offhand. With a few dozen thousand backgrounds it never hurts to put too much information into a request on here :)

5. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Lots do. In fact I'd say most people get their licenses via AFF nowadays.

Best advice, try to do it all in a couple weeks. Don't jump once a month; you'll find you will lose 90% of what you learned. Skydiving is a muscle memory sport. You need to immerse yourself in it so that you can do things without thinking about it.

When you walk, you're not thinking "okay, left foot goes forward...but not too far...okay that's about the right amount forward, now put your left foot on the ground.....there, okay now shift your weight onto your left foot before picking up your right foot..."
    But when you're learning body control in freefall, that's exactly the process you have to master. Now imagine trying to learn how to walk by only walking for 30 seconds, once a month. No bueno.

Don't get mad or discouraged if you fail a level. In fact, plan on failing two levels....plan financially and mentally. At some point in everyone's jumping career, a student will say "That's it; I have some sort of genetic disorder that prevents me from learning this." You won't be able to stop backsliding, or have a persistent left turn or go unstable at pull time or whatever. This is where having video on every training jump pays for itself. You might think you're shoulders are level, but the video says otherwise. Guess who's right?

If you have a vertical wind tunnel nearby, those are excellent training tools as well.

Buy beer. Not cheap beer.

I just noticed you're in Indy...what DZ you going to?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  6. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

7. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

If you join the USPA, read the accident reports in the back of their mag that they'll send you. Read them and learn why folks bounced.

Things happen fast up there. If you have a malfunction, there are only a few things you can do to clear them. Do those things fast. If they don't work, cut that bastard away and dump your reserve. Lots of folks have smoked it in trying to clear a malfunction instead of just getting rid of it.

Good luck.

8. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

^^^^^^^^^^
    This.

And, hopefully you won't make all 20 jumps in AFF training.
    To reinforce, buy beer. Good beer. Friends you will make.

9. Halojumper

Halojumper

I did that, but since I was jumping avidly, I never applied for my A license. I just waited and got a B first. I think I did the AFF course in 7 or 8 jumps. I only had to repeat one level. As was stated earlier, try to bunch them as close as possible to help the retention in between. Good luck.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Oh...and for the love of God, have health insurance.

There's an old saying in skydiving...."It's not a question of 'if', but of 'when' and 'how bad'."

If you do it long enough, you WILL get hurt. And I don't mean sprained ankle or chipped tooth.

Also...don't just show up, jump and go home. If you're looking at taking up the sport, you'll soon learn it's a way of life. Show up early, hang out all day, drink and laugh all night, do it again the next day. I never really considered anyone a friend until I spent "quality time" with them. ie: freefall.

11. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

AFF doesn't get an A license; it's simply the start of training.

I got my start through static line before moving to free fall (unassisted, as assisted wasn't done then).

I don't recall now, but I don't think I actually applied for or got a license until I had my C.

12. Glock39Pirate

Glock39Pirate

I know, I have Class A's from the Fire Dept!:supergrin:

13. jlpskydive

jlpskydive

I'm D-22077 and stopped counting jumps at 2,000. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is RELAX!!!! And listen to your instructor. Tandom progression to AFF is the way I recommend to all that want to try it. It's a great time and don't listen to anyone who tells you it gets cheaper after you get your A, you just get to jump more.......

14. Glock39Pirate

Glock39Pirate

Frankfort airport, its through skydive indpls, a few of the guys at the fire dept went there and thought it was a good place. They have a 9 jump course for $1675 and my wallet and wife will let me go twice a month.

15. Glock39Pirate

Glock39Pirate

does tandem teach newbies anything other than getting you ready for the "feel" of it? I plan to jump right in (haha) with the AFF course.

16. jlpskydive

jlpskydive

Yes there are tasks that you must do on each tandom, but if you want to go AFF it's a great way to do it, but I still say go Tandom on the first one, just to see how you will react. Also practice your emergency procedures before EVERY jump. I have not gotten out of a plan ever without touching all my handles and running a mental emergency practice.

17. jlpskydive

jlpskydive

Also, being current is one of the most important safety issues you can control. You will learn more about all of this as you go. When I had a 100 jumps I thought I knew it all (100 jump wonder syndrome) when I had a 1,000 jumps I knew I was just now starting to figure it all out and had a long way to go. Wind tunnels are also a BLAST to play in.

18. uptomyneck

uptomyneck

And don't forget, everyone else's custom, personalized gear is just right for you and it is for sale.

19. Halojumper

Halojumper

Tandem is a good way to do an initial jump if you don't think you can relax enough to do it on your own. And, while I would never call down somebody for choosing to do it that way, I don't think it's actually necessary, nor would I do one. But, then again, I had 14 years of statis line parachuting under my belt before I went to AFF. Just from what you've posted here, I'm betting that the tandem one is unnecessary for you. Start getting used to the idea of being responsible for yourself right from the start.

20. Halojumper

Halojumper

While AFF in itself doesn't automatically give you an A license, it satisfies most of the requirements needed for one. You just jump a few more times after you graduate then submit the paperwork.