close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone Geocache?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kona, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Kona

Kona

Its a GPS treasure hunt game with a HANDHELD gps. I go every once and awhile and get the dog out of the house. Basically you go to http://www.geocaching.com/ and put in your zip and it will show you the geocaches close to your area. You put the coordinates on your GPS and go find it. The geocache typically consists of small pointless things (hot wheels cars/ happy meal toys) but its great if you have kids. I dont but I enjoy getting out and finding them and having the dog run around! Anyway, for those of you who do it, what do you think about it?

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I know not what you speak of.:dunno:

3. jeff painter

jeff painter

I have geocached with the family for the last couple of years. We only have 130 or so finds, but we have fun. The fun is in the find and the locations you would never have visited if it wasn't for the cache. There is a bad trend with all the micro caches hidden anywhere they can put one verses the well thought out hides that take some thought and effort on the hider and finder.

My GPS was stolen out of my car a couple months ago, but I still have my blackberry using Geocache Navigator to use. I had the Garmin Oregon 400t, but didn't really need all of it's extras, so I may buy the Oregon 300 which is on sale at offroute.com.

4. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Do it once in a great while. I like the micro/ urban caches, and the deep woods ones. I don't care for the multi stage.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Trooper said he would teach me this Spring.
    :supergrin::supergrin:

7. Radiac

Radiac Got Jacks?

2Jeeps2Jacks here. We have been into geocaching less than a year. 351 caches and 269 benchmarks.

8. Camper10

Camper10

Some of them are so hard to find. Some are in really great, inventive hiding places.

There is probably one within 5 miles of the person reading this.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

More like 1/4 mile...

10. CRUZ CONTROL

CRUZ CONTROL

I go every weekend and some times before work during the week. I have 1015 finds as of today ! I go by cruzcontrol82 on www.geocaching.com . Im to lazy to go running , but for some reason im willing to go hike 6 miles around a lake to find tupperware full of crap ? Its a fun thing to do with my girlfriend and my dog , but usually its me and the dog .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  11. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Holy crap...been thinking of getting the 60CSx, but might just go with the 300.

12. vafish

vafish

I've gone off and on for about 3 years. I use an old Magellan 315.

It's a nice way to get out for a walk.

13. capecodcowboy

capecodcowboy

It is great fun with the Wife and Dog... Nothing like running around the mountains looking for treasure!
    check out:
    http://www.geocaching.com/

14. Cazador

Cazador

Los Cazadores from Geocaching. It's a great way to spend time with the kids and get out of the house.

15. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Ain't that the truth! Also, some hiders are taking those bison tubes and making STUPID hard hides.

But, it's still fun to me. Same handle on geocaching.com. I have a little Garmin eTrex. Lotsa of fun and an inventive way to find a new place or share a new place.

16. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU

I HATE Micros!!! Garmin Vista and the iphone. I want to go completely paperless w/o the iphone because battery life is no good.

17. Mainsail

Mainsail

I started back in 02, but it was a different game back then. They've regulated most of the adventure and fun out of it now though. The game used to be about the adventure, but the lazy fat folks took over and now it's about the number you can find over the quality.

18. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am gonna start doing it, gonna get me a hand-held Garmin.......probably an e-trex???

What model and brad do you guys have that are doing it?????? There is over 1,000 caches in and around my area.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  19. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

I will politely disagree. You are correct that a VASTLY higher quantity of people have taken up the game. And, predictably, the quality of the hides have gone down. However, there are still plenty of REALLY good hides out there. So, I would say what you get out of the "game" is somewhat proportional to what you put into it. The hides at my local park are easy and fun. A good tool for getting my nephew's hooked on the sport. When I go alone however, I often incorporate caching into a long dayhike or even an easy weekend trip. Once I get off and away from the pavement and blacktop, the quality goes WAY up!

That depends somewhat on you. You can probably find a used eTrex for $50 or less. That is all you NEED to cache. However, an entry level model like that will require that you work a bit harder to find the caches. Because it doesn't have an internal compass, it's directions are only relevant so long as you are moving. I have an eTrex and I often have to approach the cache from a few different directions to fix the coords just right.

Also, those have a rather small antenna, this means that caches in dense urban areas or under thick tree cover can be especially challenging because the accuracy of the GPS will go way down (or die completely). This can be very frustrating if you had planned to make a day of it. But, you can normally plan around that or atleast anticipate it by scouting via google before you go out.

My buddy recently got a Garmin 60Cxs. That thing will put you w/in 9 ft of the hide EVERY TIME. But it also costs over $200.

My personal recommendation is to get a GPS w/ an internal compass if you can afford it.