Anyone following this Baylor Football situation, re Art Briles?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Feb 3, 2017.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Is anyone following this mess at Baylor with Art Briles and the football team? Holy hell what a mess.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tants-buried-player-misbehavior-documents-say

For the record - I have no doubt that a lot of college FB coaches ask for leniency for petty drug offenses, things like that. But THIS is on a whole new level. Dude was fired but should be shot.

This could hurt the school itself. As a result of the newfound (at the time) success Baylor built a new stadium, which they will now probably never be able to fill.

In one instance, five guys were accused of raping a girl and Briles allegedly said, when seeing the list, that "those are some bad dudes. What is she doing hanging out with those guys?" WTF dude?

IMO the NCAA needs to come down on them hard. Law enforcement too, but that goes without saying.

In one of the College Football threads a poster said that Art Briles was a piece of ****. This was before this stuff came out. Guess that poster was right...

2. Glock1963

Glock1963

Just another example of why I recently dropped down to the most basic, scorched earth cable package Comcast offers. I was tired of funding liberals and criminals by paying for ESPN. I no longer have access to it or support them in any way and that feels good.

Dr. Bill likes this.

3. Mick's Lady

Mick's Lady

Good God! I've never followed college football much, I went to Columbia, not really known for it's football team, but I LOVE the NFL! Sadly the NFL is going down the same road, *Looking at you Jerry Jones*

Does The NCAA still use the "Death Penalty"?

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

I hope that what happened here is radically different than what happens with felonious activity by athletes at big schools. But I probably would not wager that way.

5. SC Tiger

The NCAA hasn't used the "Death Penalty" since SMU got caught paying players. I would think that this situation warrants it, but they didn't hit Penn State with it.

6. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Like my buddy always says. The better the Football program, the less likely my daughters will go to college there.

Baylor. A Baptist university in Waco, Texas, failed to finish the season in the top 25 college teams in the country from 1987 to 2010. But then it upgraded its program and was ranked four out of the next five seasons. How'd they do it?

By recruiting people like my sons...you know Norwegian Lutherans.

Remember the Brock Turner thing? All of the middle aged white women on Facebook do. They'd cluck themselves to death with how he was the face of college rape. Campus culture. Funny though...looking at the names in these lawsuits. I don't see mention of Tre’Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman on their Facebook feeds.

Interesting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i smell the death penalty coming for them . they are screwed

8. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

There is almost nothing on cable that you cant get with a high speed internet account, plus a Netflix & Amazon subscription, plus free access to places the TheDareTelly.com

9. Mick's Lady

Mick's Lady

Thanks SC Tiger, that's why I asked. I thought Penn deserved it too, so I thought they dropped the policy. I'm going to have to start watching "Mike and Mike" again.

10. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

More yummy goodness:

One of the woman’s teammates on the Baylor Bruin group to host prospective athletes instructed Doe to tell police she had “consensual sex with one white male” to protect the athletes, the lawsuit alleges.

11. SC Tiger

The NCAA has used the excuse that criminal actions fall outside of their jurisdiction. Personally I kinda feel like that is telling an employee who attacks another employee that he can keep his job if he doesn't go to jail.

The one issue is that the NCAA botched the Penn State thing which has damaged their authority. They have also turned a blind eye to a lot of cheating that is almost certainly within their realm, such as the UNC scandal.

12. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

These schools deserve the "death penalty". But considering the corruption of the NCAA and the $$$$$$ from ESPN, nothing will happen unless some of these coach/school pimps end up in jail.

SouthPaw 15 likes this.
  13. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Wow! Fifty two alleged sexual assaults involving 31 different players over a 3 year period is a hell of a lot to sweep under the rug. If even just a decent fraction of those allegations hold water, that's very damning.

14. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

It is not just Art Briles. Ever since this thing hit the news some time ago about issues with the Baylor football team, the school has been extremely secretive and not forthcoming with information. There was a major investigation conducted by a law firm and the university is totally denying that there was ever a written report. Tell me what law firm does a months long investigation and does not produce a written report or any written notes. This gives the whole name of Baylor a bad rep. It is personal to me in that my Grand Father was a Baylor faculty member back in the 1920s, my Grand Mother was Chief of Nurses at Baylor Hospital in Dallas back with it was associated with the university and my Dad was a Baylor grad using the GI Bill after WW-II.

Unfortunately, what went on at Baylor quite probably goes on in one degree or another at most of the big Division I schools. For the schools, football has nothing to do with the original ideals of the student athlete. Football is just a way to make money for the school and provide a farm system for the NFL.

Bruce M likes this.
  15. SC Tiger

The thing about Baylor is that, as a football team, they were always more flash and window dressing than anything else. They were never what I would call a tough team.

16. oldandtreacherous

oldandtreacherous

I appreciate the coaches who won't stand for it, like Mark Richt, formerly at UGA and now at Miami. He sent quite a few NFL prospects packing because they've they couldn't shed the thug life.

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

This too we could stop as a society if we wished. It probably would not take even a whole year if stadiums and arenas had row after row of empty seats and a probably a week or three of not purchasing the stuff advertised on the televised games.

18. DonD

DonD

I wrote the president of the NCAA asking why he wasn't taking action with respect to the disgraceful situation at Baylor. Thought he needed to establish strict standards, not pandering to athletes who act like animals but are protected so that the football or basketball program can continue. I said he needed to learn from the miserable performance by NFL commissioner Goodell. Big surprise, I got no answer.

After a month or so of nothing I wrote him again and poked him for not even having the professionalism to even have his staff acknowledge that they had received the letter. Again, no response.

This is why the only team sport at the college or above level that I think is somewhat pure is women's volleyball. Very, very few of them have any prospect of a lucrative professional career beyond college. Far more than any other sport I can think of, they play for themselves and the team. Being a normal guy, what's better than watching athletic and often good looking women participate in sports???

Surprised I don't watch ESPN? I wish I could delete and get a lower Direct TV bill. Don

19. SouthPaw 15

SouthPaw 15

Here's the truth...a lot of college football players are special..special because they don't belong in an institute of higher learning...I'm from Alabama, one of, if not the best football dynasties in America..if we win the national championship from now on , but my daughter is not safe on campus...is it worth it ?.......hell No

DonD likes this.
  20. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

We did the same thing. No ESPN, which is no big deal. I miss Fox News sometimes, but I can always go online and read their stuff. I think we pay $17/month and change.