close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone following the Gereald Ung Incident?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

This shooting shows that a 38 is not effective. It also pits an interracial shooting and alcohol against each other and could show bias towards each party.. If Ung had booze in his system he is toast. He was carrying on a Va permit. Some articles have said it was a non resident permit but others have said it was an actual Va chp. I feel bad for all those involved in this incident. I think it was booze talking on both sides. What do you guys think?

http://blackpoliticalthought.blogspot.com/2010/01/gerald-ung-third-year-law-student.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/82341737.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/82139677.html?cmpid=15585797

Court docket entries
    http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CPReport.aspx?matterID=201683609

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

It is fairly big news here in the Philly area.

There is supposedly video of the guy charging Ung before he drew his weapon per the Philly papers, but I have never seen it.

Philly city gov is very anti-gun. I don't think he would get a fair trial here.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I think the video is on the links I posted. It is kind of fuzzy. I bet that will be the talk of Philly for a long while.

4. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Your going to have a tuff time finding 12 people to say guilty.
    The gun and permit are legal in PA.Pennsylvania currently has formal written reciprocity agreements with fourteen states.VA being one of them.

5. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

This shooting shows that a 38 is not effective

Why do you say that?

He waited until the other guy was 6" away before he started firing. . No handgun cause instant incapacitation.

6. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Hmmm...let's see, one guy against 5. Now who exactly got a ride to the emergency room with bullet holes in his dumb ass?

Seems a .38 was very effective as far as I can see.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Well he can almost absolutely kiss that law degree or passing the bar GOODBYE!

'Drew

8. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

DiDonato can be seen rushing at Ung, who then appears to pull out a gun and fire. The men then fall to the sidewalk.

Self-defense, the way they describe the video.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

For defending himself when it was five on one? That is a sad state of affairs.....

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Let me ask you then.

What are the odds that he'll be able to complete law school by May, given that he'll be defending himself in either criminal or civil courts with this matter?

Have you seen the pedigree of the family, of the person who was peforated? That is called "reality".

VERSUS

Oh yeah and pictures too.

The "victim" (press is calling him that).
    [​IMG]

The shooter:
    [​IMG]

Yes, this is called reality. Mr. Ung goes to night school, one way or another, he is going to get soaked, because that family is very politically connected, and has deep pockets.

What exactly, do you think is going to happen?

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Usually Drew, you are right when you post something. I hope to god that this is NOT one of those times.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Usually I am wrong (on a good day I'm hitting 3 out of 10, and two of those foul out). :embarassed:

I dunno who is/was wrong or right, but I do know Philly a wee bit (did a slew of work down there last year, rubbed shoulders with more politicos I care to recall, including the current gov a few times last year)...and this family has some juice, which of course is an understatement.

Unless they get some more better videos and audio that should the fine captain of the lacrosse team making specific and real threats, or with his hands around Mr. Ung's neck...Mr Ung is going to spend the next 30 months of his life doing the court merry-go-round thing.

Even that has nothing to do with race, or right or wrong. It's just money, and the network, and "dammit, we have to do SOMETHING" being muttered by everyone gathering around his family fireplace (or in this case, at the PR firm, at the law firm, and at the young man's bedside).

I would be somewhat surprised if he was able to finish law school this spring. Highly unlikely. He's already doing night school. Miss a week, miss a whole frigging lot.

Notice I've not even touched on any of the stuff that occurs when the state starts looking into admitting him to the PA Bar -or admission into any state bar.

What are the chances of him getting hit (indicted, convicted) of a felony? Right now, about 30% chance of indictment...who knows about trial & conviction?

My foray into this thread was a reminder mostly to me, and anyone else who values their freedoms, liberty and earning potential...and who carry a gun. I am not a nervous, scared nellie, but I refuse to put myself in any position where I am leveraging my freedom. If I have to shoot someone, I hope that there is an overwhelming preponderance of information in my favor.

Sucks all around. Hopefully the truth will come out in full.

'Drew

13. geronimo509

geronimo509

There is a pretty big thread about it on PAFOA forum. I for one think it was justified (as do many people). However, like Drew said, the family of the "victim" has deep pockets and lots of connections. I hope it all works out for Ung.

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

That is not what the video I saw showed, Ung drew his gun and pointed it back and forth after one guy in a white hoodie darted in then ran back out. It was only after Ung was waiving his pistol back and forth that the guy that got shot rushed him.

THAT is going to be presented to the jury as a guy trying to protect his friends from the guy that pulled a gun and was waiving it back and forth threatening DiDonato's friends.

And previous reports that Ung was not alone, he was with a group of people himself.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hey,

I haven't even looked at the videos yet. If what you are saying is correct, Mr. Ung is truly Hung.

'Drew

16. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

I think based on the articles, Ung is going to have an uphill battle, but with self-defense, the defendant can/will present his defense that he had a reasonable belief that deadly force was the appropriate action.

It doesn't matter if "white hoodie" rushed in prompting Ung to draw, then the victim rushed in second and was shot.

17. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

What is going to matter is whether or not a jury can be convinced that a guy in a white hoodie rushing in then retreating was justification for Ung to draw his gun and point it back and forth at various individuals to begin with.

18. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Oh I agree. The jury is the one that has to be convinced. I just meant that Ung's defense is going to be it doesn't matter who from the opposite group was the first aggressor, and who actually got shot.

Ung need's to demonstrate that it was reasonable for him to feel his life was threatened and his pulling and use him weapon was necessary to protect himself from GBI.

19. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't there, it sounds like and looks like to me this was drunken egos gone terribly wrong.

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I think Drew is right on this one... as my Momma always said

"Money talks, BS walks. If they got money, you're screwed no matter how right you are."