GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,449 Posts
They have a solid reputation IMO. Their triggers are supposed to be pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Walther doesn’t do a good job of promoting its products.
Very true. I think they're oriented towards the European markets. I can't imagine any other reason why they market their products like they do........ or lack of thereof. I don't get the business model but the design and manufacture is very good.

I own a good collection of modern Walther products, starting with the P5 and moving forward. I didn't buy a PPS due to the problems with them. The quality of build, reliability and great accuracy keeps me buying them. I'll continue to do so as long as they are designed and built in Europe by the same group of great people.

The purchase of the company by Umarex was a red flag for me.

V.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I has a P5c and two P88s but got stupid high offers to buy so I sold them, got thousands of dollars for the trio after shootin the begeebers out of them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
PPS was on my short list for carry pistols, along with the HK P7 and P2000sk. I went cheap with Walther, but NOT disappointed!

Love the paddle mag release, because well, I love my USP also.

But....Maybe the Walther lack-of-love is only in America? Obviously the PPK, and the P22 seems to have been pretty popular.

I think they are just a little too "Uber" for a lot of people. But fantastic pistols in their lineup.
I think we're a little self absorbed in this country. We think if something isn't selling as well as some of the S&W, Glock, and Sig lineups in the U.S., the company has issues, problems, or blundered. Take the Beretta APX for example. I've heard several comments about them not selling well, Beretta goofed by making them especially with the slide serrations, and that they were going to be discontinued. Well the APX is being sold in 21 other countries. They're are videos on YouTube of civilians and L.E. from Canada, Europe, and around the world who own one. I'm sure the same is true for Walther. The world does not revolve around us, and even if they aren't selling by close to a million every year in the U.S. market, they're still selling by at least a couple of hundreds of thousands here if not more.

Let’s not forget the PPS was pretty pricey in the early days. I remember looking at them. When The Shield and Others came out, they lowered their prices.
Yea, they where in the mid $400s, and the Shield was $350-$375 once the price settled. The Shield was also marketed and pushed pretty heavily.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I feel like they're never really mentioned as a solid company. The PPQ probably has the best stock striker fired trigger I've ever felt. The PPS is my favorite single stack 9MM on the market.

But when most people ask what to companies/pistols to look into, Walther isn't mentioned that frequently.

Yet they look cool (to me) and they're pretty reliable.
Nope. They seem to be well liked here. I don’t own one but I don’t hate on em either

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
I paid $298.00 plus tax for a Walther PPS M2 LE Edition with Metal luminescent sights, 7, 8 and 6 round mags. It is reliable, has a good trigger and is finished superbly. Glad I bought it when I did.

Reactions: Tuscany and MrS&W

·
Registered
233 Posts
I paid $298.00 plus tax for a Walther PPS M2 LE Edition with Metal luminescent sights, 7, 8 and 6 round mags. It is reliable, has a good trigger and is finished superbly. Glad I bought it when I did.
There is a reason that even before this pandemic, BudsGuns would get 5-10 PPSs in stock and they would be gone before the end of day. I think a lot of people recognize them as one of the originators of the 9mm single, deep concealment, and their reliability and craftmenship is well-known. Its just a more quiet fanclub because they have little to complain about.
My bersa 380 (walther clone) is a great pistol. My dad carried his bersa as a bug for 20+ years in LE (the reason I bought one). He always wanted a PPK, but through the years those have carried a high price.

that $298 is a really good deal!

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
There is a reason that even before this pandemic, BudsGuns would get 5-10 PPSs in stock and they would be gone before the end of day. I think a lot of people recognize them as one of the originators of the 9mm single, deep concealment, and their reliability and craftmenship is well-known. Its just a more quiet fanclub because they have little to complain about.
My bersa 380 (walther clone) is a great pistol. My dad carried his bersa as a bug for 20+ years in LE (the reason I bought one). He always wanted a PPK, but through the years those have carried a high price.

that $298 is a really good deal!
Yep I got mine from a place that rhymes with “ Gud’s Bun Shop “ too. That was a good deal but it is long gone but then again so is that $557.00 deal I got for a new in the box HK P30 at Bud’s. My latest is the Arex Delta for $380.00 plus tax. If I were looking for a new 9mm, I’d buy a PPQ with confidence. FWIW, the PPS shoots like a full size pistol.

Reactions: slamdunc

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yep I got mine from a place that rhymes with “ Gud’s Bun Shop “ too. That was a good deal but it is long gone but then again so is that $557.00 deal I got for a new in the box HK P30 at Bud’s. My latest is the Arex Delta for $380.00 plus tax. If I were looking for a new 9mm, I’d buy a PPQ with confidence. FWIW, the PPS shoots like a full size pistol.
Glad you’re still able to find good deals. Everything I’ve wanted from buds lately has been “retail store only”. I imagine there is a way to buy those. But I paid for the teambuds membership this year to find out what a waste of a program it is. That has turned me away from buds. I just use my local Scheels.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Well my favorite is my P99, has a nice decocker to take it from SD to DA. Very accurate with 124Gr. HPs, best stock trigger , easy to carry IWB. I've had it for what, 10 years maybe. If I have to carry everyday on my hip that would be the go to handgun.

Reactions: Gfive45

·
Registered
345 Posts
I mean if I was going to look at walther, I’d also look at CZ as well. They also have absolutely fantastic trigger and aren’t overpriced.

I know nothing of walthers customer service. I have shot a ppq and while the trigger is awesome. I feel it’s pretty light...almost too light. Would be amazing for a range toy for sure.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yup, that's what I paid for mine with 3 mags. Now they're back in the $400s.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I mean if I was going to look at walther, I’d also look at CZ as well. They also have absolutely fantastic trigger and aren’t overpriced.

I know nothing of walthers customer service. I have shot a ppq and while the trigger is awesome. I feel it’s pretty light...almost too light. Would be amazing for a range toy for sure.
The youtubers have all compared the walther and cz p10. The walther/canik is a nice trigger. The CZ is sweet too. I’ll be watching the cz p10 closely as it builds it reputation over the next few years. The 26 czp10s ppqsc and M&P2.0sc are all close competitors in my mind for a nice double stack carry piece. I tend to be a cz fanboy after a long term great experience with a PCR, but in the polymer framed stuff, glock gets my vote for its well built reputation. I definitely bought a few scratch offs the day shipwreck had a P99 show up for sale though. I’ve heard nothing but good things. There are just so many great pistols.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The CZ metal framed pistols are nice. The polymer ones are just another fish in the sea. Nothing really special or stands out about them. Glock has after market support and is easy to work on. The P320 and APX have modular chassis and all the benefits that come with that, plus their frames break down easily and are easy to work on. Walther has one of the best triggers. The rest are just like "pick your poison" based on your looks, ergos, and/or fanboy preferences.

Nothing about the CZ P10c sticks out or makes it a must buy for me. I wish they would have kept their signature inverted slide design. It's like all the manufacturers who had something that differentiated them for others all are trying to make Glock clones.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The youtubers have all compared the walther and cz p10. The walther/canik is a nice trigger. The CZ is sweet too. I’ll be watching the cz p10 closely as it builds it reputation over the next few years. The 26 czp10s ppqsc and M&P2.0sc are all close competitors in my mind for a nice double stack carry piece. I tend to be a cz fanboy after a long term great experience with a PCR, but in the polymer framed stuff, glock gets my vote for its well built reputation. I definitely bought a few scratch offs the day shipwreck had a P99 show up for sale though. I’ve heard nothing but good things. There are just so many great pistols.
My p10f is by far the best striker fired pistol I own. Such a flat shooter. The trigger break and reset are fantastic. The rails are so beefy and the cold hammer forged barrel is a nice touch. Very similar to my glocks but with better ergos and better grip texture.

The CZ metal framed pistols are nice. The polymer ones are just another fish in the sea. Nothing really special or stands out about them. Glock has after market support and is easy to work on. The P320 and APX have modular chassis and all the benefits that come with that, plus their frames break down easily and are easy to work on. Walther has one of the best triggers. The rest are just like "pick your poison" based on your looks, ergos, and/or fanboy preferences.

Nothing about the CZ P10c sticks out or makes it a must buy for me. I wish they would have kept their signature inverted slide design. It's like all the manufacturers who had something that differentiated them for others all are trying to make Glock clones.
I love my 365 and the fact that I can switch to an XL frame since I sold my XL outside of that I’ve seen issues of the fire control unit becoming loose in the frame. The 320 bore height is crazy high imo but most sigs seem that way. They do have nice triggers without a doubt. Never done more then hold the APX in my hand though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
James Bond was the kewlest with his PPK. I always wanted one but couldn’t afford it. I eventually bought a clone and found out the PPK is a biter!

I really do like their modern guns but for one reason or another I’ve never had one. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My p10f is by far the best striker fired pistol I own. Such a flat shooter. The trigger break and reset are fantastic. The rails are so beefy and the cold hammer forged barrel is a nice touch. Very similar to my glocks but with better ergos and better grip texture.

I love my 365 and the fact that I can switch to an XL frame since I sold my XL outside of that I’ve seen issues of the fire control unit becoming loose in the frame. The 320 bore height is crazy high imo but most sigs seem that way. They do have nice triggers without a doubt. Never done more then hold the APX in my hand though.
Some say the same about Glocks and other pistols. "It's a flat shooter." It's all really a personal thing but it's really not that much different than Glocks and others. Glock, M&Ps, APXs, and other top tier duty pistols also use hammer forged barrels as well. I've own CZs, Glocks, XD's, APX's, Walthers, M&Ps, etc. Other than XD's with their grip safety P320s and APXes with their modular features, when you think CZ, you think of the slide design, the rest pretty much try to get as close to Glocks as possible with slight differences. They don't really offer any unique feature that you can point to. Nothing they are generally know for or that makes them stand out from the crowd.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts