GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

·
Fightin' Fire
2,052 Posts
Wanted a PPS a few years ago, gen1. Was darned though that I was going to have a Walther that said Smith & Wesson on it. Waited a bit until Arkansas I believe came into the picture. I really do like it and seems quality made. My PPQ though was a different story, it was the gen 2 and I kept dropping mags out when shooting. It also did not feel very refined to me.
The new match though looks very intriguing.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have two PPS M2s, one with an optic, one without. Really like the PP series guns and have always been a fan of the P38 / P1, P4, P38K and the P5.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Umarex bought Walther and markets their creations like the 22 pistols and the problematic CCP with the Walther name and IMHO that hurts the Walther brand reputation .

I really like my PPQ and PPS original version though.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Walther?

I really dig the P38 and P1 (its like having an M9 with grips that fit my hand), also dig the German made PP and PPK in 7.65 (US made stainless .380's didn't do anything for me) and would love to get another Gewehr 43 some day (it won't happen). Really would have loved a Walther 2000 but I'm not in that financial class and never was.

Newer guns? If I had the $$$ I'd try a PPQ, but right now I'm strapped for cash and just happy to have what I still have.

So do I dig Walther? Sure, just can't really afford to buy the Walthers I want most.

Grumpy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Umarex bought Walther and markets their creations like the 22 pistols and the problematic CCP with the Walther name and IMHO that hurts the Walther brand reputation .

I really like my PPQ and PPS original version though.
Its odd the PPQ and PPS seem insanely reliable, yet the CCP I've heard some issues with them.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Boy got a CPP M2 specifically to have less recoil and easier slide racking for his wife to shoot (both new to handguns). It was really picky on ammo until after about 250 rounds. This was almost all Failures to Eject, though he reported one ammo (name I don't recall) that would not go into battery. It liked Sig Sauer 9mm VCrown JHP 115g ammo but not AE 115g (unless there were 4 or less rounds in the mag). Once broken in it will now feed all the stuff it did not feed before, so shooting and a few cleanings helped.

Its blowback design is different. It has a barrel fixed to the frame that has a hole near the back which ports gas to drive a piston attached to the slide that reduces recoil. But shoot anything over 50 rounds quickly and the bottom of the slide gets hot. Doesn't hurt anything but it does get hot enough to notice. This design may also be the reason they don't recommend shooting a lot of +P nor any +P+ at all.

Field strip for cleaning is different, but does not require any tools which is nice. I really don't like the little red spring cover on the back of the firing pin. You have to release pressure on the spring it to complete field strip. The spring cover is pretty flimsy and the pistol won't work without it so get extras. The partly released FP spring sticks out over the locking block after field disassembly unless you take out the firing pin and its spring (which is not hard to do, but not necessary if you are careful of that spring cover). You can actually clean the firing pin channel easily as it has a large slot it sits in and you can gently pull the whole FP assembly out without need for any tools.

Since the barrel is fixed and the locking block sticks up in the back in line with the barrel you can't use a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. So you either use a bore snake or a flexible cable rod or a muzzle guide to guard the crown to clean from muzzle to breech with a fixed cleaning rod.

It shot pleasantly. Not sure if I would get one as its one great feature is low recoil which I don't need to worry about.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I researched buying a PPQ SC for a while. I decided against it because Walther didn’t use the same PpQ sights that are easy on and off, it has an internal extractor and polymer internals in the slide, it requires SC mags, and they are hard to find aftermarket support. The 9mm PPQ seems to be popular, but the sc was not supported as well. At the same time a great deal on a hellcat came along and I went home with it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I love my PPQ M2 45.
Me too. I sold my PPQ M2 9mm, because my I thought my 19X was a better pistol that filled the same slot for me. In 9mm, I'm all Glock now. But, my PPQ M2 45 is just too good to let go of. If it wasn't for that Walther, I'd probably have no 45 at all. Really great trigger for a striker. Real "accurate" for me. Lighter, with a little more muzzle rise than a typical steel .45, but, if you really bear down on your grip, you can shoot it without compromise. And the grip is absolutely perfect for my hands. Finally, never had a single problem with it. Great gun.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
The Walther PPS was a head of its time. It was what Glock should have come out with years before the G43. Walther would have dominated the single stack market if it hadn’t insisted on the paddle magazine release. It was years before they listened to the market and made the M2.They lost The police market because the paddle release was a training/range safety issue for many departments.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Walther PPS was a head of its time. It was what Glock should have come out with years before the G43. Walther would have dominated the single stack market if it hadn’t insisted on the paddle magazine release. It was years before they listened to the market and made the M2.They lost The police market because the paddle release was a training/range safety issue for many departments.
People preferred the paddle release. I wish they kept it on the M2. It's a better design IMHO. That and the Walther P99 were iconic pistols. I don't understand why people think that unless all this pistols are exactly the same, they won't sell. Any differences or anything that differentiates them from the heard is a bad thing.

I think the main issue was lack of promoting their product vs anything else. Most people knew of the Shield, Tauruses, and everything Glock. The average gun buyer has no clue what a Walther PPS is.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I liked the PPQ when I handled it. I felt the PPQ and VP9 were two of the most amazing guns with regards to ergonomic fit I have held. I ended up going with the VP9, but I think Walther has a few nice guns. The Match Q5 feels awesome, too!

I think they got tangled up with S&W and failed to transfer the "cool" from the PPK to the newer guns, and just didn't market themselves very well. I still like them, but I never seem to buy them.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
PPS was on my short list for carry pistols, along with the HK P7 and P2000sk. I went cheap with Walther, but NOT disappointed!

Love the paddle mag release, because well, I love my USP also.

But....Maybe the Walther lack-of-love is only in America? Obviously the PPK, and the P22 seems to have been pretty popular.

I think they are just a little too "Uber" for a lot of people. But fantastic pistols in their lineup.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
The other day, I was at a lgs when I saw a PPQ m2 9mm or two in the display case. I’ve shot my sister’s m1, and I’m a big fan, but I got to thinking. If I ever went back into LE, the PPQ m2 would be a contender, but not at the top of my list only because I’m not sure on duty holster availability and I don’t know their support for LEOs.

Other than that, I’d be happy with one if I ever wanted anything above a subcompact. As for now, I can borrow my sister’s anytime if I need a Walther fix.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Let’s not forget the PPS was pretty pricey in the early days. I remember looking at them. When The Shield and Others came out, they lowered their prices.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts