Anyone ever work the graveyard shift during school?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RF7126, Jul 23, 2005.

1. RF7126

RF7126

I just got a job as a security guard at an industrial site, and they have me working the 2200-0700 shift two days in a row. When school starts that means that I'll be getting at most, 2 hours of sleep for almost a 48 hour period each week. Has anyone done this? Does this actually work with school? I plan to give it a try as it pays well, but I'm a little worried.

2. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I worked on a loading dock near LAX loading cargo into containers. VERY physical work. 2200-0600 IIRC. Didn't do well. Had to drop about half my classes to avoid failing them.

It can be done, just not by me.

3. TerraMedicX

TerraMedicX

I'm a paramedic on an ambulance, and most of my shifts are 24 or 12 hour shifts so I work all night between school all the time. I'm lucky in the fact that I get to sleep when I'm not on calls, but sometimes we're up all night anyway. It's rough at first, but after a while you kinda get used to it. You learn to prioritize your time so that you get all your studying done early and can slip in naps. But then again, I kept falling asleep in classes too, and the teachers didn't like that too much!

Nate.

4. cowboyfire

cowboyfire

I WORK AT A SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT AS A JAILOR AND DISPATCHER AND TRY TO TAKE ALL THE CLASS THAT WILL FIT IN MY SCHEDULE. I KNOW NIGHT SHIFTS AND DAY CLASSES WILL WEAR YOU THIN. I WORK A SWING SHIFT OF THREE 1400-2200 AND TWO 2200-0600 THE SWING SHIFT WILL DRIVE YOU UP THE WALL AND MAKE IT HARD ON YOUR SCHOOL WORK I HAVE DONE IT FOR TWO YEARS NOW

5. c5367

c5367 Esq.

It's not too bad once you get used to it. Freshman through junior I also worked as a security guard. My shift was usually 0000-0800, more often than not 6-7 days a week. I found my espresso machine was my best friend, and the powernapping skills I picked up in the service were put to good use. Granted, I was an irritable SOB by mid-semester, but I did make it.

The best tips I can give: first, get a solid laptop. When you're running a schedule like that, time management is everything. A laptop will allow you to get work done where ever, whenever. It can be a pain lugging it to and from work, but it will really pay off.
    Second, caffeine is your friend.
    Third, I hope the significant other is low maintenance, because except during the summer, you won't have time to punch the munchkin, let alone get some quality time, especially if you need to study a lot.
    Fourth, be creative and reasonable with your schedule. Don't overload with classes, and be sure to balance the harder/heavier workload classes with the BS required ones.

6. novium

novium

Been there done that, wasn't fun. It's possible, but I became a zombie after about a month. It took a good 3 weeks for my system to equalize. 40+hour swing shift is junk, I'd rather take a cut in pay and work straight hours. Some people can do it. Others like me choose death. As it is now i'll be working 8-4 and going to night classes. Security

7. RF7126

RF7126

Thanks for the responses and tips everyone. I guess I'll cross my fingers, get an IV of Mountain Dew and hope I come out the other side. ;f

8. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Late reply, but...I left full-time LE last summer to finish my degree. I was hired by a local city full-time (permanent nights) and will start next Monday. School starts back up the following Tuesday and I'm registered for 12 credit hours. I'll let you know how it works out for me. ;)

9. bryan cc tx

bryan cc tx

I did for 4 years, it was pretty cool for me since I worked in a rehab center from 0000-0800, and there was nothing going on until about 0600 when I woke up the guys. During those 6 hours I actually worked for about 15-30 minutes and then the rest of the time I studied. It sucked when there was a break in school because there was nothing to do.

I got used to geting off of work at 0800, having class from 0900-1250, sleeping from 1400-1700, waking up to spend time with the family, and go to work at 0000.:)

Needless to say I do things in reverse...1)kid, 2)got married, 3)go to college.

Advice: if your working graves for a long period...stay away from caffine (it reaked havoc with my blood pressure and sleeping habits) try to suck it up and stay awake, sleep in a (white noise)filled, cold dark room. Exersize whenever you can to sleep better. Eat right. Find someone to talk to late at night (co-worker, freind, anyone). Study hard, my grades actually improved working graves and I made the Dean's list. Oh yeah not one once of beer or liquor anytime during the day when you have to work (one beer drank at 1330 made me a zombie at about 0200). Good-luck.

10. RF7126

RF7126

That's good advice, thanks. I'll definitely be using those tips. :)

11. valkyrie182

valkyrie182

Just curious, RF, where did you get the job? Gander is getting on my nerves something fierce. Put in a good word for your bud, here.
    Also, +1 on the not drinking a lot of caffeine. 3rds at the gas sattion last year were ok, until I started drinking coffee by the gallon, then things went downhill.
    Sidenote: found a place in Newburgh that does IDPA. Is that the range over there? Interested in making a run down there soon?
    223-0782.

12. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

I'm doing it now. Corporate security at $28 per hour. I work Fri, Sat and Sun- 1800-0600. Absolutely nothing to do but study and having a top secret clearance really helps with the pay. Also getting my G.I Bill on top of that helps also.

13. Know Nothing

Know Nothing

I worked for two years as a security guard and worked Friday overnights. Even that was hard on me. I'd pick one or the other. (School or overnights).

The other REAL possibility is to sleep on the job. We caught cops sleeping on the roofs of parking ramps from time to time. The saying goes, "Nobody knows WHAT happens on the 3rd shift."

14. RF7126

RF7126

Lol, I wish I could sleep but I'm working a gate so I'd probably get caught. The positive side is that I should be working mostly weekends now, so that's good.

15. FatBob

FatBob

I put myself through college (5 years, two degrees), working nights. I was a security supervisor, and worked 9pm - 5 am four nights a week. Plus I was on-call all the rest of the time. I took at least a full load (16+ credits), if not more, every quarter. Your schedule will adapt.