close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever try Crossfit?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 01coltcolt, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

My wife has been going 4-5 times a week for 6 months and she looks amazing. After hearing her talk about it and seeing their website I finally got talked into giving it a try. I guess these gyms are all over the US. I had never heard of them. www.crossfitvaldosta.com

Well I am 3 weeks into it and let me tell you its no joke! I am 36 years old and in excellent health. I have always ate right and hit the gym regularly since high school. Mostly lifting weights and very light cardio.

Well, I have taken everything I thought I known about fittness and thrown it out the door. Crossfit is on a whole nother level. Its like training for high endurance athletes. The first week I didnt make it through a workout with out pukeing afterwards. I am past that but 3 weeks in and I am still getting my butt kicked.

There is a pregnant chick in the class that beats me done and lifts more weight. LOL!
    [​IMG]

400 meter lungs with weight over your head sucks!
    [​IMG]

Muscle ups.
    [​IMG]

Lots of pullups!
    [​IMG]

Kettle ball runs are always fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

care to share what the workouts consist of ?

3. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

4. JGguns

JGguns

Crossfit is pretty mean. I like p90x better. And the new insanity even more. the last 2 I use for at home or on the road cardio. Insanity is exactly that, insane cardio!

5. Kimelac

Kimelac Bada Bing! CLM

I also had my vulva punched at the end of the seminar! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. BradD

BradD

My biggest beef is that they randomize the strength training part of the program and most CFers are weak as a result. That wouldn't be a surprise to anybody who's into strength training. They also randomize the workouts so that sometimes you're pounding the same bodypart day after day, like running 10k one day and doing heavy squats the next.

I personally like Ross Enamait's stuff a lot better, if for no other reason, that Ross is a very nice guy and CF's higher-ups are a bunch of jerks. Ross' books also have chapters on program development, so he teaches you how to design your own program. Go over to CF's message board in the Fitness board and you'll see people asking questions that indicate that they have no clue how to set up a program for a specific goal.

www.rosstraining.com

7. hpracing007

hpracing007

LOL!

I was talking to this one extremely liberal girl who did that and I had no idea what it was, now i do.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

Cross-Fit is an amazing workout system, it is used by many military institutions and several police departments. Dallas PD and Gwinnett County are the two bigger ones that come to mind...

9. FL Vet

FL Vet

I've been doing CrossFit for about two years and it's awesome. The workouts are tough, it's not boring, and the competition pushes you to be better.

10. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

I meant to call a place in Atlanta today to sign up for a crossfit-based bootcamp. It looks interesting and I need to get in shape.

11. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I will tell you if strength training and muscle building is what your after, stick to lifting heavy weight, lite cardio. Crosfit like I said it is more for for cutting body fat and building endurance through out sastained periods. Its one thing to do what Ive been doing for years. Building different muscle groups each day, for strength and muscle bulk. This is more like keep your heart rate up for 45 minutes plus, while lifting moderate weight and pushing your body beyond its limits.

I wouldnt say its for everyone. We have alot of military including myself. Alot of the guys are trying to get ready for various schools that are intense, long training, high wash out rates. I would'nt say that I even enjoy it yet. hech, I barely make it through each workout at this point. But I like having the instructors pushing/encouraging me to finish.

I would never get myself to that point of breaking at home on my own. But I have heard that P90X is great if you are capable of pushing yourself to the point of break on your own daily. I need that push to put me over that edge.................they push me to the point that my body almost shuts down and let off right at the last second. I recover on the weekends:)

12. BradD

BradD

I understand, colt, and I don't want to discourage anybody who's having fun with CF. I'm mainly typing to people who are considering the various options out there and I like Ross' stuff a lot better--just one guy's opinion. Not just for strength, but for what CF claims it accomplishes. The bonus is not having to be associated with the CF's higher-ups, LOL. Ross is a very nice guy and walks the walk. He's in "CF elite" condition and DLs close to 600 at 170.

There was a CF affiliate template at one time that made a lot of sense to me. It was at Wichita Falls (CFWF), but they've disassociated themselves (or have been disassociated--hard to say which) from CF, so it no longer exists. I thought they had the S&C program nailed down very well. They did strength, conditioning, rest, strength, conditioning then a couple of rest days per week. The conditioning days could be CF-like with random WODs, but the strength days were systematic and looked about like Starting Strength. Could add more conditioning if desired, obviously, like as finishers after strength workouts, etc. I thought that setup made a lot more sense from the strength side of the program.

Here's a great nugget. Sorry, I have to throw this one in here. You'll think it's funny if you haven't seen it.

Uh, yeah right. I don't think I've ever heard of a CFer DLing > 500 unless he's a former PLer who could've done that anyway. Much less 750!!!! I'll take back my first sentence, above: How do you guys stand following a blowhard like him?! I just can't intuit that, LOL, unless he's saying he can take one to a 500-750=-250 lb DL. Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly. :rofl:

13. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Dang, I didnt even know there was politics in it. I just go there and do the work outs. So far the WODs are pretty muscle group specific. Except the warm ups. They seem pretty random. The owner of the gym Trebor is also the instructor assisted by his wife. So far he has about 100 people that go to his classes. There are 4 classes a day M/T/W/T then 1 class Friday and 1 class Saturday. I go the 4 week days and rest F/S/S. So far coupled with a good strict diet I have lost 1-2 inches off my waste in a 3 week period. He said he does weight lifting classes too but have not tried them yet.....

For now I am just trying to lean up. I deploy to Afganistan again in Sept. All we do there is lift weight and eat. I always pack on the mucsle each year when deployed. For now though I need to improve my run times and loos body fat and this will work for me:)

Trebor
    [​IMG]

14. Unnamed

Unnamed

I have looked at Crossfit. I'd say there is a good chance that I'll do it at some point in the next 10 years. I'm 25.

My first issue is that Crossfit only occupies approximately 45 minutes/ day. This is a boon to many, but being currently unemployed, I see no reason to restrict my workouts this much. I can do a lot of things in my extra time that most Crossfitters cannot because of time restraints (I don't have kids or a wife). I'd say that the time structure based on Crossfit will be advantageous to many, and restrict very few. Most people probably aren't in my boat. However, I expect to be employed in the future, and at that point my workout time may be restricted such that a crossfit workout is appropriate.

My second issue is that Crossfit requires a lot of specialized tools. I personally own kettlebells, but most people don't. Living in a city, I don't have access to a climbing rope or peg board or many of the other pieces of equipment that Crossfit utilizes.

I know that Crossfit has worked for a lot of people, including friends of mine who have utilized it prior to successfully completing various military Officer Candidate Schools. I will likely begin using it at some point in the future. My point, however, is that it is not necessarily useful for everyone, and some people will see more development by utilizing their own routine.

15. BradD

BradD

Colt, yeah there are tons of politics. Apparently, Glassman is just about impossible to get along with. They've successfully run off every celeb coach that used to be associated with them: Dan John, Rippetoe, Everett, Wolff, and I'm sure there are others. I used to do CF, so I've watched a lot of their journal videos. I swear, it's as if their higher-ups have to take a short-course on how to sound like an arrogant jerk before speaking, LOL. I've communicated with Ross several times over the last couple of years and he's a class act. Nobody ever has anything bad to say about him.

You're the kind of guy who needs to look into Infinite Intensity or Never Gymless instead. I say that because you've caught onto the idea that people need to utilize "their own routine" as you put it.

BTW, I think your understanding of CF is a bit off. They don't have a 45 min. limit. Also, if you do one of their conditioning WODs, you won't want to do anything else that day, so don't worry about "being restricted." LOL You might be restricted by being too sore to do anything else.

16. BradD

BradD

BTW, am I the only one who hates those super wide pictures? End up having to scroll sideways so much to read the posts that it's not worth it any more. (as if anybody made it that far to the right of THIS post LOL)

17. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

You have PM

18. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Sorry about the pics. they are just off crossfitvaldosta website. Thanks for the info and back ground. I don't think I even want to look into the BS politics. Ill just work out and ignore that stuff. I cant see my self doing this longer than 1 year or in between my deployments.

CF has been great for my wife though. She is a addict. She has lost 40 pounds in 6 months and is really showing definition for the first time in a long time. I am proud of her for not being lazy, like most of my buddies 30 something wives. I think I mostly tried CF to support her in her one and only hobby.
    My wife doing OHS
    [​IMG]

19. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Yup, if you make it throught the WOD this is pretty much the results.......:rofl:
    Me
    [​IMG]

20. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Hell no, I get tired just watching them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDYpEtwimZE

It looks like they've changed a little since I last looked at it. I'm not a big fan of lack of form with some of the exercises as I know too many people who injured themselves not being careful.