Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I have bad aim
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I shipped something out 2 weeks ago to a forum member and the buyer has been contacting me for a week wondering where his stuff is. Finally he got fed up and asked for a refund. I don't blame him. My problem is that when shipping parcel post, they give you no insurance opportunity, no tracking number and no delivery estimation. Anyone ever ship this way and have similar problems? Reason I shipped this way was because the item sold for 25 bucks and parcel post was 10 bucks to ship and everything else was 25-30. Shipping rates are ridiculous anymore.

·
I have bad aim
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Own a business, use them all time, no problems, and you can insure. Maybe he's ripping you off.
I don't think so. If that is the case and I ever found out there would hell I can assure you that. Even if it was only 25 bucks.

When I shipped it they said it was expensive to ship because the distance from a hub his zip code was. Also, they said I couldn't insure it because the cost of the item was too low. BS shipping policy in my opinion. I guess my real issue is that I don't want to give a refund and have the product come to dudes door step and me be put both product and profit. I really like tracking numbers for this reason.

·
Long Trail
2,478 Posts
I sent a package from CT to CA by Parcel Post, it took forever, much so the guy thought I was ripping him off. I told him it was sent and give it a week more, well it finally showed up within that week. The total time was like 3 weeks, give or take.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Last Sept. I shipped a dive light from Mn to Fl. for repair. Had never had a problem in the past shipping USPS, so just boxed up and sent out. No insurance, no tracking number, nothing. Well of course it got lost.
I ended up buy a new light for over $800.00 which was a huge discount.
Then 6 weeks after being sent out the original light arrived. Well now I have 2 dive lights.
I'm under the impression that a package will show up eventually, just may take longer then a person would like.
I would still ship USPS but now will always insure.

Al

·
I have bad aim
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I really do want to give it another week if the buyer will allow that way when/if it does arrive we aren't shipping MO again or paypaling again. This was UPS where I did the parcel post but I understand it eventually gets turned over to USPS from them. I believe I shipped it from Ohio to Tennessee if memory serves me correct.

I really feel bad and I don't want to hurt my reputation because of this. I've shipped plenty of stuff on here in good review. I sold my rifle case on December 23 and it was on the buyers door step Christmas Eve morning. I don't like having the appearance of a flake all because USPS can't get a package from 3 states away in a 3 week time frame.

·
IAFF Local 4766
2,630 Posts
Parcel post are low priority packages for USPS. They ship it as they have room on their trucks. If the truck is full today it has to wait. If the truck is full tomorrow it will have to wait again.

I never use it because I mostly ship guns or ammo.

My Brother is one of the big Blue Ray and DVD dealers on Ebay. He used to get scammed by Parcel Post and Media Mail customers on a regular basis. They want the cheapest shipping possible so that means no tracking number. They pay using Paypal and file a claim in a few days. Since he dd not have a tracking number Paypal refunds the customers money from his account. He has zero recourse.

·
Ancient Member
1,097 Posts
Parcel post doesn't save enough money to make it worth the hassle. I always use priority mail, and get delivery confirmation for another 70 cents, so there is no question if a shipment gets delivered.

Next time use priority mail, dave yourself and the buyer a lot of grief.

Ronaldo

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
I always use Priority mail flat rate boxes and add on delivery confirmation. Cost is $10-$15 depending on the size of the box and you are limited to 12" X 12" X 5.5" maximum. So far everything I've sent this way has arrived on the west coast from WV in no more than 3 days (knock on wood).

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
I bought a book off eBay a few years ago and the seller would only ship parcel post. It took SIX WEEKS for it to get from Chicago to NC. It was only a few bucks so I wasn't worried about it not showing up eventually but sheesh, what a wait and it was postmarked the very next day after I paid.

I sell on Etsy. The *only* way I ship is USPS priority flat rate (they drop off boxes at the house for me to use so I don't have to provide my own packing materials) with delivery confirmation and I take it to the post office to be stamped instead of printing my own postage. I've heard that Paypal can find in the buyers favor in a dispute if you print your own postage and the difference is only a few cents so it's not worth the hassle to me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Parcel post take a long time. sometime up to a month. For small stuff its first class mail or priority for big stuff.

once sent a envelope via first class with some parts on Sat 2pm to Atl. it was delivered 10am on monday

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ship on a daily basis and refuse to ship parcel post. If im using the mail, either 1st class or priority is the only ways i will go. UPS normal ground pretty much anywhere in the US is 7 or 8 WORKING days....Parcel Post always takes forever

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
refund his money and tell him if it ever shows up, you'd appreciate if he'd pay you for the stuff.

If not, you're out $40.

·
rip "Bud"
10,083 Posts
And hope you learned something here... I did.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Take a picture of the receipt and show it to him. Then ask him to give it more time.

·
I have bad aim
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just curious, if you are going to use Parcel Post why not do it at the post office instead of a UPS Store- it's cheaper. Or am I missing something?
I am relatively new to this selling stuff online deal and never knew I could ship some stuff though USPS. It was some ammo so I figured it needed to be insured and go through a heavier courier than the postal service. By the time I learned that I had already paid for it through UPS. Last time I'll ever do that. UPS is a rip off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts