close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever seen this on a Colt lower?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 01coltcolt, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

I bought a Colt Match lower from a GT member. I still havent picked it up. We are waiting on his info. I did inspect it at the dealer. It has a small Colt marked sear block that apears to not allow me to install a traditional trigger. Anyone have experiance with this? It looks like I can remove it but it will have a pin hole on each side of the reciever. Any knowleadge on what kind of trigger it will take. I tried to set a stock trigger in it but it will not fit due to the block. I googled it and it looks like people have milled them out in order to use a milspec trigger. I would like to just simply install a trigger that fits? Thanks for the help Colt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Minnow

Minnow

JP Enterprises is the only aftermarket trigger that I hear works. I'd give them a call on Monday if your interested and find out which trigger package you need.
    http://www.jprifles.com/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010

3. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

Sweet thank you. After looking at thir trigger I see what I need to remove to make a standard trigger work. Thanks for the info...............

4. criticaltim

criticaltim

I recently saw a colt lower with that same block in it. I was told by the owner it was installed by the factory during the "Ban" and it's on the Colt "Sporter" models. This was the only model AR that I've run accross that would not accept the UTM training conversion kit.

5. Minnow

Minnow

Your welcome...

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I believe Colt started adding these sear blocks BEFORE the AWB, in a voluntary effort to make their AR Sporters harder to convert to full-auto and less objectionable to the non-black-rifle-owning public (larger pin holes so mil-spec hammers/triggers/disconnectors couldn't be used, no bayonet lug, etc.). The sear block fills the spot where a drop-in auto sear would go, and is fairly difficult to remove with simple hand tools. The pre-ban Sporter Lightweight I own (manufactured in '92, well before the AWB) has one.

7. BobbyT

BobbyT

8. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

My Colt AR-HBAR has one of these blocks. ('93 Pre-Ban AR)

I was reading online that if you have a Dremel (and lots of cut-off wheels) you can remove the block.
    The way I saw it done, was to cut into the block and sever the crosspin.

The guy doing the removal got the pin out, then cut the pin very short, and after replacing the trigger, he epoxied the short pin (head) back on the lower, so that there wouldn't be a gaping hole in the side of the lower.

I've not removed mine. . . yet. But, it's time is coming.