close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever move and miss foods......

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by USMCSKI, Feb 26, 2005.

1. USMCSKI

USMCSKI Sgt USMC 97-02

from where you grew up?
    I lived in NJ for about 25 years then moved around alot when I was active duty. I ended up calling NC home(didnt want to go back to NJ cause of gun laws).
    About the only thing I miss about NJ is the food.Panzarottis,Taylor pork roll,good Philly cheese steaks,NY style pizza,tasty cakes.

2. Dandapani

Dandapani

I lived near Chicagoland from birth for about 33 years. I moved to Ohio, then 16 years later to Florida. I miss real Chicago style pizza (deep dish) and Chicago Red Hots. I guess I miss the dogs more than the pizza.

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

In Indiana when you order a fried tenderloin sandwich, it is a boneless pork loin, flattened, rolled in bread crumbs and fried. Someplaces have them almost a foot in diameter.

Both my sisters when moved out of state many years ago, and whenever they visit it is a ritual to go get one somewhere.

I don't know why it is such a big deal, they are easy to make at home. LOL

4. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I'm from NJ too, just over the Ben Franklin Bridge near Pennsauken, Cinnaminson and Cherry Hill...

Panzarottis were a favorite (just a deep fried calzone really), but I haven't had one in 25 years...

I miss "the mongo abundance" of all the other stuff you mentioned, but I have my favorite places here
    that get the job done...

And SADLY, Tastycakes aren't what they used to be...

We get them here now, but I'm never blown away like I used to be when I get them for nostalgia's sake...
    (I certainly don't need 'em...)

Dude...

;c

5. XD40FAN

XD40FAN

I lived in Portland, OR as a kid while my dad was going to med school. Best clam chowder and fish and chips I've ever had! Now I live in the desert. ;g

6. Jack T.

Jack T.

Heck yes! Moved from Oklahoma to, well, to a blue state, and there isn't any Braumns ice-cream stores here! How do people survive without Braumns???

7. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

The problem really compounds when you move with some frequency. I miss Matt's dogs from Seattle, Tommy's burgers from L.A. (and the fact that they're open 24 hours a day), good bread when I'm in the midwest (bread should not squish down into little dough balls and should have a crust), fresh sweet corn when I'm in the Pac. NW, Salmon when I'm anywhere else, good mexican food in states that believe Del Taco is mexican food, Sushi when I'm off the west coast, wild game in resturants here in the USA (it's common in Europe), cappacola in deli's that call themselves "Italian", good pastrami (why does it take a kosher deli to do this right?), soft shell crabs (from around the Chesepeake), and good service (everywhere).

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Not moved, but I miss my Grandma's tomato soup. She used Campbell's from a can and made it so goooood. She has told me how to make it but it isn't good like hers. She made some killer fried 'taters too. Oh what I would give for a plate of those.... She is still with us, but don't cook much now. Almost 97 and lives alone :)

9. USMCSKI

USMCSKI Sgt USMC 97-02

I actually had my parents buy pizza and panzarottis and bring them down every time they came to visit. Now I found a distributor down here that I get frozen panzarottis from.I also found a good pizza place but the tasty cakes and taylor pork roll still have to be imported!!!
    Now...if I could just find a good philly cheese steak I would be happy here!!!

10. DonCT

DonCT

I made two drives from New England down south within the last year. Ate at a Chick Fil-A (don't have them up north) and the girl behind the counter said "Cheerwine to drink with that?"

Me: "WTF is Cheerwine?"

DAMN GOOD is what it is. Only North Carolinians have ever heard of it.

Same trip I ate at a Waffle House for the first time (don't have those up here either). We walk into the place and there's three cooks working the grills, one woman two men. All three are black, about 300 pounds and probably 75 years old. Man, you just KNEW the food was gonna be great. And it was. :)

I may live in Connecticut, but I love Southern food. My arteries don't, but what do they know?

11. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

I from Jersey too, and I don't know what the h*ll these 'panzarottis' things you guys mention are, but you also mention cheese steaks so it must be a Philly/Camden thing.

I miss pizza from Jersey; nothing like it. I miss the calzones and sausage rolls. The calzones actually have ricotta; they don't where I am now (Mass). The pizzas in Mass are almost always these greasy, buttery bar pie type things.

I don't miss anything else from New Jersey.;f

I also lived in Maine. It's the only place I know of to get real SOUR pickles. I just can't find them anywhere else. There even getting harder to find there. Key ingredient in a Maine 'Italian'.

12. Thirties

Thirties

I moved from the NYC area and it seems up here in Neww England, including Boston's North End, no one has ever heard of bottarga, which is preserved pressed tuna roe. It is wonderful sprinkled on pasta with olive oil.

Anyone know of a Boston area source?

13. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

Nope - but I would check out one of the high end specialty food places like Whole Foods, Bread and Circus, Roache Brothers if I were you.

These regional differences must be from some small regions - I've never heard of botarga (sounds gooood) and I'm from the "NYC area" also (Joisey)

14. Thirties

Thirties

You should check out the restaurant Caffe Bondi on W. 20th between 5th and 6th Avenues in Manhattan. Phone them to see when they may be offering it on the menu. This is a fine eatery indeed, definitely worth a visit. Open lunch & dinner.

Thanks for the Gravlax reply. I'm going to cut into it in a few moments. I'll let you know on the other thread how it came out . . .

15. ChuckUles

ChuckUles Señor Member

My pleasure

16. General Sherman

General Sherman

San Francisco Columbo sour dough bread.

17. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've moved around quite a bit, especially here lately in my college years. Every time I move, I seem to lose at least one kind of food I really like. Although since I've always been in Texas, it isn't really anything regional--just specific restaurants I like. The last move was from College Station to Abilene. I now miss Jason's Deli with a passion. There are NO good delis here. However...they're now building a Jason's! ;f

18. Perry F.

Perry F.

Move from metro Phoeniz, to MN. Man I miss the mexican food, Filibertos breakfast and carne asada burritos. When I go back to Phoenix one of my first stops is Filibertos!!

19. DigiDuckie

DigiDuckie Strapped Duck

Sri Lankan Fried Rice over in Saudi.

20. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HAHA. I'll pass on that one. ;)