close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever have a large safe stolen from them?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KennyFSU, Nov 26, 2012.

1. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Or has heard of this happening to anyone? I'm going to assume they weren't bolted down but is this a common occurrence during home burglaries?

2. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

The typical burglar quickly runs to the master bedroom and grabs what he can carry. Even this is rare in many places. Normally, even a 100 pound safe is too much to take.

Safe can be and have been targets during home invasions.

Very large safes are usually left alone even if not bolted down. Some thieves will try to tip a safe over and try to pry it open, if they have large crowbars, or if you left some appropriate tools out. Others will try to punch the lock out. These efforts are defeated by the better safes.

Professional criminals will defeat the safe with enough time. There are not many thieves with professional level skills

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Good response, I believe that to be the case as well. I doubt the average random burglar would even attempt to break into a safe since many burglaries last a few seconds and are "smash and grab" jobs.

I am just curious to see if it has ever happened to anyone and what precaution were taken afterwards.

4. ditto1958

ditto1958

Years ago it happened to my father-in-law. He was moving to another part of the state, and had a large safe in one of the new barns on his new farm. Someone loaded up the safe onto a vehicle, took it to another location, and carcked it open. The police later recovered it, but not the contents.

5. PBR Sailor

PBR Sailor

The safe was on the first floor of a neighbor's house. It was not bolted down. The neighbor was on vacation and the burglars wheeled the safe out of the house. The hallway they moved the safe down had a night light plugged into an outlet that the homeowner had to remove so there would be enough room to move the safe past the outlet. At least the burglars were kind enough to plug the night light back in after they moved the safe.

6. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

In over 30 years of law enforcement, I've never seen it.

The old saying is that you don't have to bolt down your safe until after your first burglary.

I have two 30" safes because 30" is the widest I can physically get into my house. They are bolted together, so if they can get it out, they deserve it.

7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I have heard of one being ripped out through a window (presumably with a winch) and then (presumably) loaded in a truck with the same winch. It would have to be somewhere where neighbors can't see you though.

8. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Doubt that many burglars show up at the scene with a fork lift and flat bed truck.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The first burglary case I ever worked, a doctor had a medium sized safe stolen from his office. I still remember it well:

They managed to use the alarm code to shut off the alarm. :whistling:

It had his "very valuable coin collection" inside. :whistling:

He needed a report for the insurance, but I didn't get to ask him the details because he was on a plane to Las Vegas, so I discussed it with his brother. :whistling:
    Apparently the insurance gave them some trouble about waiting to see if it could be recovered, so the same brother showed up a few weeks later with the empty safe that he just happened to "spot down over the river bank in another part of the county as he was driving by.":upeyes:

It wasn't bolted down.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Gravity would be a huge hurdle to jump over for someone to get my safe out of my house.

11. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Depends how big and how heavy. Also, was placing the safe a straight shot or did it take careful navigation? Could a piece of power equipment be brought in to move the safe?

My safe weighs 1365lbs empty, and it took 4 professional movers and myself 2.5 hours of tedious navigation to get it in position. We used a heavy duty dolly and my floor jacks. We also did this with the door off, which is probably 1/3 of the total weight alone. Let's just say I highly dread the day I have to move.

I'd recommend the burglars bring in a professional and just crack it where it sits.

12. dpadams6

dpadams6

20 years here and not once. Burglars want to get out asap. Maybe if you live in the middle of no where and no one else around it might be more likely, but still very rare. I think its also important to not tell everyone what's in your safe. You don't want to make it tempting for whoever you know or people that know them and find out.

13. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I know four Dallas cops fairly well. None of the them has seen a large safe removed either although they know it happens.

Most times some random BG breaks in and either ignores ones safe entirely or tries to open a safe with a screwdriver or small crow-bar and quits after one minute of effort.

14. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Some great stories, thanks for sharing.

I just purchased a safe, the current weight (loaded) is easily over 350 lbs.

I really don't want to have it anchored in BUT if stolen safes were a common occurrence, I would.

15. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Hmmmmm......seems legit. One of my best friends is a lawyer/insurance fraud investigator, he has at least 100 great stories.

Stuff like......
    Malefactor: "Mr. Investigator I was in Jackson MS the night my diamond encrusted Rolex was stolen from my otherwise pristine home in Dallas"

Buddy: "Interesting because I have phone records that show several cell-calls to friends and family from your phone indicating your phone was in Dallas that night." "And a cash withdrawal was made using your bank card at x time that same night also in Dallas and that ATM took a picture of you."

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'd anchor it. Does so makes losing your valuables even less likely.

17. sciolist

sciolist

My reason for bolting my large safe down is not so much to prevent it from being removed from the house, but to prevent it from being tipped over. It was a PITA to get in the house, and would be seriously difficult to get out with the contents inside. But I could tip it over by myself, were it not bolted down. Laying it down would make it easier to break into.

18. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

At that weight, I'd recommend anchoring it down. 4 men carrying it off is less than 100lbs for each to lift a piece.

500-600lb motorcycles find their way into the back of pickup trucks all the time with enough hands and a little elbow grease.

19. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Funny you mention that; I had a bike stolen that way years ago, lol.

20. Steve0853

Steve0853

I'd also anchor that safe. 350 lbs. is not a lot at all for someone who has decided that they had rather steal than work for a living.