close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever had this hapen.. Power supply issue- Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Nov 17, 2006.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

My system got very unstable late last night, constant freezing, etc. I then began to get a very strange clicking noise coming from my hard drive. I got pretty irritated, as this 250gig WD drive is only about 9mo old. So I got a good backup of all my data, and prepared for the inevitable.

Well, this morning, No boot.

So I go buy a new hard drive(figured I'd deal with the warranty later, and have a spare drive). Get home, pull the old drive, and sure enough, one of the little wires inside the connector had broken off. When I pulled the connector off the hard drive(yes, by the plastic, not by the wires) the wire just fell out. Tried hooking up another connector, but got the same issues. PS is about 2yrs old, so I took the hard drive back, and bought a 480 watt true power, hooked it up, and no probs thus far(bout an hour)...

I hadn't done any work on the PC, moved it, cables weren't pulled very tight, etc. so I don't know why it would do that. So what was the clicking? Was the drive shorting out? It doesn't appear my system has been damaged, wihch is a good thing. After finding the problem, I'm honestly surprised the computer booted at all when I began experiencing the problem last night.

IGF

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

no POST beep and you went out and got a new hard drive? c'mon, i've read your posts here. ;)

out of curiosity, what brand was your old PS?

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ouch.. ;)

Well, perhaps I should have been more clear, the computer turned on, but the hard drive clearly wasn't being read(obviously), as it just froze. No disk failure error, nothing. After the POST screen appeared, the screen went black and that was it, no beeps. After the clicking from the drive, constant freezing, etc, I really thought the drive was toast.

It was a 380w Antec... Still curious what the clicking was.

IGF

4. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Probably the heads snapping back to home when the voltage dropped below what was necessary to hold the arm over the plates..

Did you get the Power Supply at Frys in Indy??

Since I found out where they were that's where I've been buying most of my PC stuff..

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats what I was thinking regarding the clicking, something about the drive not spinning properly due to the irregulation in the voltage.

I've been to Fry's on several occasions, its pretty nice, but a bit of a drive for me(I'm an east sider)... I picked it up at the Best Buy out near Washington Sq on the east side..

IGF

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yikes, mine's a 350w Antec. what's weird is a few days ago, i heard a clicking sound (i thought a wire was getting hit by a case fan) - but couldn't figure out the exact cause.

7. lens

lens

Power supplies do die and they sometimes cause weird problems before you can stick a fork in it.

There is some vibration all the time the machine is on, due to the fan and drive motors. This can loosen connections in very rare cases.

The pins in these connectors are supposed to be crimped properly. From the sounds of it, you had a bad manufacturing crimp and it probably caused a spurious condition, damaging the power supply.

Antec makes excellent power supplies and the True Power units are great, but every once and a while you can get a bad one that failed to get picked up in QC.

Glad everything is alright now.