Anyone ever get back into riding motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glock2619, May 20, 2020.

1. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Just thought I’d ask the GT brain trust their thoughts.

I grew up riding dirt/street bikes And snowmobiles. In 2003 when I graduated college and moved across the country I sold my last bike, a 929 Honda. No time and or space for it during the move and starting a family blah blah. I have seen the driving population get far worse at what they do in the past 17 years. So, getting another bike really wasn’t on my radar.

2 weeks ago a guy I used to ride with needs to downsize his stable and offered me his 2001 Ducati Monster 900. It’s had a pampered life. 12k miles in it. VERY reasonable. He knew I had always admired it. So, I’m going to grab it.

Part of my rationale for getting it now is my boys are getting older and have a significant interest in riding, so I think I should be the one to teach them. Also, I have no desire to go on all day rides or ride in groups. I think I just want to be able to go ride for a couple hours on a nice when I’m not taking away time from my family. Plus, I’m way smarter than I used to be and going fast isn’t on my radar at all. (hence the whopping 78HP Monster)

I figure if all the texters out driving around scare me or I don’t end up using it, I’ll just sell it.

I live in the Black Hills in SD with great riding (on or off) and seems a shame not to take advantage of that.

Has anyone else done the same picking back up years later? Any tips or tricks you learned immediately after picking it back up?

ZekerMan, Inyo Tim and G19Tony like this.
  2. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

I used to ride, then started having kids, and I quit. Too much at stake for me to hurt myself.

Fast forward to the kids grown and on their own. I bought a new Triumph Scrambler, rode it for a couple of years and traded up to a new Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.

I'm an occasional rider. I'm in Oklahoma and our roads are flat, straight, level, and intersect at ninety degree angles. But like everywhere else, we have a lot of texters. Etc.

My advice to you is, first, take a beginner's riding course. Even if you know how to ride, it can shake the dust off your memory cells. I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's course. They provided 250cc bikes for everyone.

Also, get the book, "Proficient Motorcycling." And, actually read it.

The following thread is good, too:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/most-important-things-to-know-for-a-motorcycling-n00b.563090/

Good luck. Stay safe. A lot of people will say to ride like cagers (people driving cars) are out to kill you. They are not. If everyone was out to kill you, you'd be dead.

Instead, ride like all cagers are stupid little children with the attention span of a gnat. Ride like you're anticipating the dumbest thing they can do, and then, be ready.

ZekerMan, Inyo Tim, varget and 4 others like this.

3. WT

WT Millennium Member

DO NOT CRASH!

That said, take a good motorcycle training course and OWN IT! Do some practice exercises every week.

You ARE invisible, regardless of what color Power Ranger suit you wear.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Ride fast, don’t die.
    Take the safety course as a refresher.
    Enjoy the ride!

Inyo Tim and sixgun2 like this.
  5. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

Tell me it's a yellow Sie, and I'll be happy for you as I cry. At 42 years, not much older than you, and never having ridden before, my first ever bike was a new 2001 M750 Dark. I was wary of a 900, and couldn't afford the yellow 750. I still scour Craigslist for a yellow 900.

MSF was a great recommendation - it would be super fun (not to mention super responsible - but what fun is that?) to do that with the sons.

I also second the notion that "everybody is out to kill you" is something of a bromide. Kind of like "all guns are loaded".

Best of luck, and enjoy.

Nemesis., Inyo Tim and Darkangel1846 like this.
  6. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

With all of the old asian women and Somali pirates driving around here? Not on your life! I'm even thinking of upgrading to an armored vehicle.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I didn't start riding until I was in my 40s.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I did slow down riding, work, kids, school, etc, but I never stopped.

:cool:

9. redbrd

redbrd

I have gone long periods without a bike. The great thing about having a bike when you are older is you don't have to ride it. My first bike was transportation.
    People do drive worse.

10. pstmstr

pstmstr

I didn’t start riding until I was 54 years old. Between 2010 and 2018 I rode over 150,000 miles all around the country. I got involved in the iron butt association and rode some extreme rides with my longest being from Oklahoma City to Boise Idaho in 23 hours. The only accident I had was an illegal turning left in front of me on the beach road in Monterey California. Fortunately I wasn’t hurt but the bike was totaled. I sold my last bike in June 2018 but I’m seriously considering getting back into it.
    I recommend wearing safe riding gear and be constantly on the alert for idiots with their head stuck in their cell phone. Nothing like a motorcycle ride on a nice twisty road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Had three of them, I will never be on two wheels again. Drivers are crazy nowadays.

Darkangel1846 likes this.
  12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Sold my last street bike in 1992. Sold my last dirt bike in 2008. I won't ride a street bike in Florida ever again. I may pick up a 4-wheeler at some point just to have a casual ride in the woods. I do miss that.

Inyo Tim and Doc Holliday like this.
  13. DannyB

DannyB

I've had over twenty motorcycles, including mostly dirt bikes, then 2 big Harleys and 3 Kawasaki 1000s. Sold the last one in about 1983. I've been in the ER myself, been to the ER to see friends way too many times, etc. All of that was before the cell phone was here.

Since then I've taken what I consider pretty good care of myself, eat mostly right, exercise, etc. I'm not taking a chance on some idiot wasting me now at 64. I dodge enough idiots every day in a full size pickup. I wish it was even bigger.

I should clarify: I would be much less worried about getting killed. The biggest worry is spending the rest of my life in a nursing home.

Inyo Tim, varget and redrick like this.
  14. M7425

M7425

Delete- wrong thread.

15. redrick

redrick

I did it .

When I was growing up I had about 5 different motorcycles and I think they kept me out of trouble . I rode everyday and got into racing motocross .

Then when I got my drivers license , I started riding the motorcycles less and I couldn't afford a car and race , so I quit racing . Then I got a girlfriend and rode even less . Then I got married and sold the motorcycle . Then I had kids . I wanted another motorcycle when my kids were young , but I thought that would be irresponsible , so I didn't get one . Then I get divorced , the kids are out of college and 24 years later I get another motorcycle .

It is nothing like I would have ever bought 30 years prior . It is big , heavy , slow , has a windshield and bags . I hated Harley's when I was young . But it fits me now , I don't ride on just the back wheel anymore and drag the foot pegs on the curves . I can remember the times that I would ride a Kawasaki 900 on the dirt when I was about 16 years old and not think nothing of it . It's good and bad how age changes us mentally and physically .

16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

First bike was a Honda 360T, got it in college 1975 to drive to school and work.
    sold it in 1981. bought a used Yamaha 750 when I got back from Korea, sold it when I got out. After school I picked up a Honda V45 magna, what a great bike.
    Gave it to a friend when I moved away. 1995 bought a Harley, sold it in 2005 at the request of my wife and used the money to build an addition to the house.
    All those years and I can't tell you how many guys I had to take care of in the ER and OR. Riding to fast, drunk, misread the traffic, wasn't seen by a car driver, missed a turn or curve, rear ended a car, rear ended by car while sitting at stop light. One was getting off his bike, triped and fell hitting his head on the curb, he died. so many of them died.
    All those years and I never had an accident, once burned my leg on a hot pipe.
    I've been without a bike for 15 years now and have been thinking of getting a smaller bike just to cruise around, but I don't think that's gonna happen. Way too many cell phones in way too many cars. As you can guess we have lots of bikers and many deaths.

17. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Thanks for all the replies. It’s appreciated.

I wouldn’t have thought of a safety course, likely out of pride, but it isn’t a bad idea I suppose.

And 2cats, yes it’s a yellow S ie.

18. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

If I could quote this twice for emphasis I would. I used to ride nothing but big sportbikes (FJ1100, Katanas) and rode them as they were intended to be ridden, very fast and twisty. Then I got older and had the responsibility of raising my children by myself and bikes were not part of that equation. Fast forward: Kids are all grown up and I needed a hobby to get out of the house. Enter Harley. Took a safety course to get state endorsement and really learned some things. Made my riding more enjoyable now that I can actually see what I'm going by at a slower, more sane speed. And I ride fairly often with my middle son who also has a Harley.

19. buddyd157

buddyd157

i did as well.

i had 2 bikes, then gave it up for a few short years, then got another one.

but age and my back and bones were not as anxious as i was to get back on.

so, i sold it back to the dealer. i liked solo rides, for a couple/three hours myself, hated groups, cuz you're always waiting for someone.

on average, i do not like dealing with people, that's why it went back to the dealer. same as any car/truck i ever owned, i cannot be bothered by tire kickers or horse trading, so i trade them in. now i lease, even easier.

20. redrick

redrick

Funny story . My uncle ( in his 70's ) and his son both bought used Harley's . They went together to DMV to get their license . The DMV employee looked at my uncle strangely when he said that he was their to get his motorcycle license . She said Mr. Smith , you already have your motorcycle license . He hasn't owned a motorcycle in about 50 years , but didn't know that every time that he renewed his drivers license they also renewed his motorcycle license .

Sad story with good ending . He is a rigger , and works on anything . He was working on the throttle on his motorcycle and rigged something up and when he took it for a test ride the throttle stuck and he crashed . Luckily he wasn't hurt bad and that was the end of his riding a motorcycle .

buddyd157 likes this.