Anyone ever fly supersonic?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by E__WOK, Jul 5, 2004.

1. E__WOK

E__WOK Millennium Member

What does the pilot hear if anything(engine sounds) since they are moving faster than the speed of sound? How loud does it get in the cockpit?

2. FB3

FB3

I did my share of supersonic flying in the Air Force. Actually it is a non event in modern aircraft designed to operate in the transonic speed range. There is no change in sound level and no change in feeling/vibration. About the only way you know when you go supersonic is by observing the Mach indicator, and a slight bump in some pitot/static instruments.

When flying formation, in the right light the shockwave may be seen on the other aircraft, and flying into it (the shockwave) causes a slight buffet.

Sure burns fuel though.

3. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I once had the priviledge of flying on the Concorde (not at my expense). My recollection was that there was just a bit of turbulance. No sounds that I could detect. Of course, I was just a passenger.

-Lonnie

4. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Funny. Whenever I did the number, I always saw unicorns, heard trumpeting music, and was surrounded by rainbows and dancing leprechauns. Maybe it was all the cough syrup...

5. TheGrinch

TheGrinch

All I ever saw was the Mach indicator and the fuel gauge. Scott will understand. ;f ;f ;f

6. fingers

fingers

Yep, its a non-event.

7. geoffinak

geoffinak

Ok Guys lets fess up, the first time was just a little kick in the butt, had to be, you worked so hard to get there, so much training, watching others fall by the side. Come on, just a little hugh Ya, this is cool, under your breath... I promise never to tell.
    Airplanes, you gotta love them to do them.
    Geoff
    P.S. Way to go.