close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone ever bought a Laptop from eBay?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, May 3, 2006.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I'm thinking of getting a laptop from eBay. There are "New in box" machines for low prices -- am I a sucker for thinking I won't get burned?

Anyone have any experience buying computers off of eBay?

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I sold one last year.

My rating is 100% and so was the buyer. Everything went perfect.

But, I bought a high end phone last year from a guy with a 98% rating.

Got burned. It was stolen. I spammed the guy and his rating when he refused to refund money. Ebay was of little help.

If he is on ebay now, he is under a new name.

I goes both ways.

Buyer beware.

Jim

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I can think of two times someone I know bought electronic devices from eBay and didn't get burned.

Unfortunately, I know of hundreds of people who bought electronic items from such auction sites--and, with only the two exceptions I listed above, ALL of them were either somewhat disappointed or sent DOA parts--meaning that they were robbed. And eBay won't help you, either, should this happen.

I would never buy so much as a sound card from an online auction.

Seeing as how almost all of the non-working, overclocked-to-death computer parts in the world get sold on these auction sites, your concerns of being defrauded are extremely well-founded, IM(ns)HO.

Buy a laptop new, or buy a decent one from a friend after you check it out first or have a shop inspect it for you.

But never, EVER buy one sight unseen.

4. Thirties

Thirties

Thanks, guys. You have truly pulled me back from the very edge of the precipice. I bought a refurb from Gateway with 90 days manufacturer's plus 12 months extended warranty.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

There are legitimate businesses using eBay as one of their outlets for selling excess inventory. I regularly buy directly from JustDeals. Always had excellent experience (and they are local to me, even though they do not sell over-the-counter). I know they also sell through eBay. So, I would say do a little research. The seller could be a reputable merchant.

6. Thirties

Thirties

Hobo, yes, I know there are reputable merchants on eBay -- I'm one of them. Thanks for the heads-up on your local guy. I'll check their list whenever I'm looking for something.

I did notice a suprisingly large number of laptop computer sellers with 100% positive feedback with many many transactions . . .

But, as I said, I already orderd a refurbished laptop. Next time I'm looking, I'll look harder.

Thank you.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Not to be a pessimist here or anything, but many of those companies do refurbs on OCed rigs, both laptop and desktop, and some even do tradeins on older ATI and nVIDIA video cards.

That means that those companies can and will sell you some hardware that someone else may have nearly killed through abuse, but you get it because it still had (sometimes barely) enough life to pass muster when they bought them.

All I mean to say is this: Never were the words Caveat Emptor more apt than in this era of Internet Auction sites.

I am certain that, strictly from a statistical point of view, it'd be about impossible that there wouldn't be a few exceptions to the situation I spoke of in my previous post....

But I'm not enough of an optimist nor gambling man to justify taking the risk.

I'll gladly spend the extra cash and buy new; to me it's better to avoid damaging my known-good gear with some random 'great deal' components whose previous treatment and remaining useful lifetime are unknowns.

Then again, as was said, there are some times where this may not apply.

But don't be surprised if your future eBay gambles don't pay off so handsomely or so consistently...they sort of seem to be turning into the World's Swap Meet, with almost everyone trying to get rich quick slingin' the Fake Louis. :frown: :stop: :frown:

8. tallmike

tallmike

When I was fairly new to ebay I bought a desktop from a guy who was new to ebay and selling about 20 cheap computers as his first auction. I got burned on that deal.

Since then I am much more careful about who I buy from and I will go back into their feedback many pages to make sure nobody had any legitamite complaints about the seller. I bid according to the item and the feedback now and I research the seller almost as much as I research the item.

I bought a dell refurb laptop off ebay about 6 months ago from a reputable seller (I believe dell even sells their own refurb laptops on ebay) who had a good feedback and a good listing (hastily placed or super flashy listings dont get my business). Its a great computer that has given me no problems.

9. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

I've bought alot of stuff off ebay, including my current laptop and never been burned. I do, however, check the feedback of the sellers. I want to see recent feedback for selling other similar items from the seller, or I don't bid. I also don't want to see a rating less then 99%.

10. srhoades

srhoades

I've sold one of my old ones. Got way above market value too.

11. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

check the price on a new battery for whichever model you plan to bid on.

plan on buying a new battery before you bid (i.e. factor in the cost, and see if it's still a good deal).

12. Thirties

Thirties

Guys, my refurbished Gateway Turion-64 laptop arrived brabd new. The first night I tested the battery 00 3 hours. I let it run down so I could get a good charge on 'er.

I'm happy.

13. DennisP

DennisP

I know I am al ittle late on this one but my wife bought this laptop of ebay last September. It arrived brand new still in wrapper with all the stuff. My wife did all the research and everything and I only found out about when I got back from New Orleans (Katrina). Got to say I was a little skeptical but so far it has been great. Like someone else posted some companies use e-bay as an outlet to sell their products. That is who my wife got this one from, some company that sells on e-bay.

Good luck

Dennis P.

14. Thirties

Thirties

Folks, as you know, I've recently bought a laptop. The way I use it, the machine is plugged in 98% of the time. For the battery to run down, I would have to deliberately set out to do so. I did that the second day I owned it, just to see what happens, and how quickly it recharges.

Should I periodically run the battery to death (then recharge) so as to maintain the battery in good condition? If so, how often, once per month?

What are you laptop users doing on this one?