Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I know, I know, this is kind of a hairbrained thread. After looking on the inside of a couple Carhartt coats I have I started wondering if anyone has thought about doing such a thing or maybe there’s someone out there that’s done what I’m asking about.

Since it’s heavy coat time, and will remain so for 3 more months, here in central Ohio, it’s a whole lot easier to conceal. I got to thinking after taking off my coat this evening.
I have 2 Carhartt winter coats that I wear and really like. One of them has a pocket on the inside left chest area. It’s the perfect size for my Walther PPK/s. So...every time I wear the coat I simply drop my Walther or my Bersa Thunder in the pocket and head out the door. It stays put, doesn’t flop around, it’s great. My Barn Coat doesn’t have one of these pockets. That’s what got me thinking about this.

I wondered how hard it would be to do either of a couple things to this coat.
1. Get a decently made holster and somehow attach a couple strips of “Velcro” to the back of it and then attach the loop part of the VELCRO to the inside of the coat in the place that’s most comfortable and convenient and then either put the holster in place and leave it so you don’t have to worry about it or maybe work up a couple different size holsters and put the one in place as needed.

2. Instead of a holster with Velcro, simply attach a pocket to the inside of your jacket or coat that will accommodate the handgun(s) you want to carry.

Now I’m not at all comfy behind a sewing machine. Unless there is some manner of attaching the pocket or strips of Velcro that doesn’t involve the use of a sewing machine, I’d have to consult someone that is skilled at alterations to get this done.

I’m not at that point in this idea yet. I’m just curious if there are others that have thought about such a project or have went ahead and done it.
Or maybe this idea is just plain looney and shouldn’t progress any further than the idea phase.

When I carry my Walther or Bersa in the pocket of my coat, I find it very comfortable, very easily accessible, and pretty darn near invisible. Pistol stays right in the pocket in the orientation that I put it at. So, why wouldn’t I want the same capability in my other coat?

So...what do you think? Would you do it? Do you have any coats or jackets that give you this carry option?
One other thing...a couple weeks ago I was searching for a new leather jacket. To my surprise a large number of them mentioned in the description that they came with built in concealed carry pockets. I thought it was a good option and I would very likely buy the jacket that came with the CCW pockets of all other things were equal with another jacket.

Your thoughts please.
thanks for your time.
larry

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you're going to wear a big coat, a shoulder rig seems easier.

My crazy idea though, would be to remove the pocket lining of the coat and OWB a pistol within easy reach of the opening.

Glock 19 g5 mos

·
Photojournalist
547 Posts
Reactions: rayzer007

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had a lady from my cleaners sew a Uncle Mikes IWB in my vest to hold a 442 J Frame snubbie. It loosened up from use, but an in pocket model would be fine. She removed the pocket clip, so I think it stretched. Not bad job for $10.
I like Carharrt too, tough fabric, my Chore Coat had blanket lining, but velcro might not stick to blanket? Good luck.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
When I carry my Walther or Bersa in the pocket of my coat, I find it very comfortable, very easily accessible, and pretty darn near invisible. Pistol stays right in the pocket in the orientation that I put it at. So, why wouldn’t I want the same capability in my other coat? So...what do you think? Would you do it? Do you have any coats or jackets that give you this carry option? One other thing...a couple weeks ago I was searching for a new leather jacket. To my surprise a large number of them mentioned in the description that they came with built in concealed carry pockets. I thought it was a good option and I would very likely buy the jacket that came with the CCW pockets of all other things were equal with another jacket. Your thoughts please.
No doubt, Chic Gaylord's Handgunner's Guide is the book for you.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
12,316 Posts
Your question is not hair-brained at all. I always found a hammerless J-frame was ideal for use in your jacket pocket w/o any holster...in fact, in the "day" many of us carried a BUG that way...on each traffic stop in Winter, we kept our hand inside our jacket pocket with the j-frame ready to shoot thru the pocket...no one the wiser

·
Registered
13,991 Posts
No, but my motorcycle jacket has a large inside pocket that a Sticky holster fits quite nicely in.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have had pants' belt loops moved to accomodate a better OWB carry position. Allowed for a superb holster retention, right where I wanted it; no movement at all. Loops on both sides of holster cutouts!
442 carries well in most existing jacket pockets.

·
Super Moderator
20,275 Posts
I messed with modifying coats/jackets for carry many years ago. Some notes I remember:
  • Keep the total weight as light as possible. Heavier handguns will cause material to sag, revealing that "something" is there.
  • If you sew it to the lining, the lining will often fail, as it is not designed to support weight. If you sew it all the way through, the stitches can cause external ripples that can reveal the holster.
  • Keep it low on the garment. High on the chest makes it more likely to "print" or ripple the material where it is tightest and should be laying flat. Attaching it to a lower area allows for the "drape" of the fabric to hide outlines and ripples.
  • Think twice about holstering in any area (such as an upper chest pocket) which might be impacted by a vehicle airbag in a collision.

Eventually, I modified two jackets with leather shoulder holsters by tack-stitching the harness at the shoulders and underarms, so when you put on the coat, the holster went with it.
I sold them to other folks years ago, after I'd stopped using them.
I should probably make up another one....or two...

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Experiment away. Many good results occur when you “roll yer own.” I successfully modified some cargo shorts pockets to better carry an LCP.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
A friend had a custom made double shoulder Holster, made out of leather, He then had the double holster stitched into a jacket liner. He carried 2 Glock 20s a lot of the time. It never looked off center or over weight on either side, it spread the weight out evenly. He had 3 different jackets that the liner would fit into. It was a cool set up. Cost him a couple hundred bucks. I don't know why he thought he needed 2 Glock 20s.

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
I have these for winter pocket carry in my Real Tree coat, two horse hide inside pocket holsters, works very well.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I use one of these in my duty jacket

I bought a Sigtac conceal carry coat about 10-15 years ago. It was a modified Carhart. It's still going strong!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts