close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone esle have problems with the Extended Slide Stop

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TnShooter83, Jul 28, 2012.

1. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

I shot a G17 today with an extended slide stop.
    Over half the time the slide failed to lock open on the last round.
    I'm almost certain it was my thumb riding the slide stop as I use a thumbs forward grip. So it looks like I'll have to pass on that upgrade. Not that I wanted to ever put one on mine anyways.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
    I had this problem happen one other time to me on a Colt Mustang. I finally figured out what was happening after shooting it with one hand.

2. GlockamoJoe

GlockamoJoe

I have the same problem. Try a Vickers or Ghost bullet forward or the standard factory one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. jb1911

jb1911

I've got a Lone Wolf and love it. No problems.

4. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

Thanks guys. I just never had tried out the extended slide stop on a Glock. This one was Glock factory. Not installed by the factory, someone else installed it afterwards.

If I ever feel the need to try one again, I'll have to look at at something other than Glock I guess.

As of right now, I'm staying with the stock one. So far I've never had that problem.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. Phelen_Kell

Phelen_Kell

I have the opposite problem. I usually end up having the slide locked back and there are still rounds left in the magazine. Couldn't change my grip, so I put the stock slide stop lever back in.

6. B_RAD

B_RAD

I've never had a problem with one. I use thumbs forward also. However, I don't rest my thumb on the gun/slide stop. I used to rest my thumb on the gun but decided to stop before it caused a malfunction.

7. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

That's the only thing I hate about my G35 and will probably change it soon. I have had both failing to lock the slide back after the last shot and locking the slide back before firing the last round happen too me. I have tried changing my grip but it just does not feel right.

8. cbbyers

cbbyers

9. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

Looks like the shorter spring maybe your problem.
    Either way, I'd rather have it fire all the rounds and NOT lock back as to lock back before I finish firing all the rounds.

Glad all is back to normal for you. Now you can get back to shooting.

10. MikeG36

MikeG36

No problem here. (I'm using Glock parts not aftermarket if that matters.)

11. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Never had a problem with mine on my G17 and I've shot well over 2000 rounds.

12. Limedust

Limedust

No problems here either; thumbs forward, no worries. Maybe I have short thumbs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  13. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

Slide didn't lock open once, just a grip issue. Other than that, the only problem I have is the little thumb bump acting funny with a couple holsters.

14. Deriffe

Deriffe

I have one on my G35 and have never had any issues with it. I tried to put one on my Gen4 22 and had problems with my thumb hitting it and locking the slide back in the middle of a magazine. Rather than try to redo muscle memory, I just put the factory slide stop back on the 22 and all is right with the world.

15. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

I did the same thing with my G35. I replaced the extended lever with a stock OEM lever and +10,000 rounds later it's. Ever happened again.

16. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Is your gun a Gen2 G17? Older G17's require the slide stop lever (extended or not) with the "spike". If you put the incorrect part in your gun, it could cause malfunctions............

17. cbbyers

cbbyers

Mine is a 3 pin gen 3 G23 with build date of Dec. 2000. I have the corresponding part for the 3 pin frame.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

18. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yes! I've got two Lone Wolf extended slide stops; and both of them will catch my shirts and put small pulls in the fabric when I draw. Yesterday, and in spite of the fact that I was shooting very well, at least four times my slide failed to lock back on the last round. I'm pretty sure my gun hand thumb was pressing down just hard enough against the slide stop to prevent the stop from working properly.

If I ever again buy another Glock slide stop it's going to be factory stock.

19. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

Yes, it is a Gen 2. According to the serial number it was made in about 1990. That maybe be my problem. I honestly don't know.
    I figured it was me, since I had the same problem on a Colt Mustang once before.

Thanks for the info.

20. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

I did a quick search and compared mine to the one listed for the Pre-2002 Glock pistols. Mine looks like it is the correct one.
    I looked at my grip closely and I'm about 100% sure it is my grip.

Honestly this is not my pistol, It is a family members. He loaned it to me and asked me to clean it and make sure it shot. He doesn't have a place to shoot it and wanted to be sure it shot and was clean before he put it away. I'll let him make the call on
    replacing it or keeping as-is. The person he got it from never had a problem. And maybe he won't either as most people don't it seems most people don't have any issues with the Extended Lever.

Thanks for all the help.

If anyone is interested you can compare the 2 Levers here.
    http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/7_Parts+&+Accessories/2646_Glock+Extended+Slide+Stop+Lever/

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012