Anyone else watching the Nintendo Switch presentation (live NOW)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Grabbrass, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Starts in 10 mins.

Watch live at http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

I'm more interested in this new system than any home console from Nintendo since the Gamecube. Wii was ok, Wii U mostly a disappointment. I've been much happier with their handhelds for the last 10 years. The Switch is a home console, but you can take it out of the house too. Perfect for when I'm sitting in the car for an hour while my daughter's in her violin or piano lessons. Keeping fingers crossed this presentation gives me more reasons to like it.

2. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

My 12 year old just asked if he can stay up late to watch it. I had no idea what it was.

3. r3dot

r3dot

What did you tell him?

4. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

I let him. His internet cuts off at 9pm so i extended it until 11.

5. kiole

kiole

If Nintendo botches this system Nintendo will be out of the home console market after the Switch. 299.99 is too much 199.99 or 249.99 with a game was the right price point.

It's underpowered and I don't believe will have 3rd party support after launch which is what killed Nintendo in the past. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's going to have trouble competing when the Xbox One and PS4 drop their prices to 199.99 this fall. Xbox will have their new Scorpio platform out by end of the year and Sony is doing well with the PS4. many younger kids will use cellphones and tablet for mobile gaming.

bigchuck83 likes this.
  6. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

Cool, a powerful game console the size of a Phablet. I learned something new today,thanks.

7. JMag

JMag

Lots of new tech from Nintendo with the Switch. The controllers are very cool, and the ARMS game my daughter thought was neat. March 3 will be a busy day.

Sent from my virtual ball & chain.

8. kiole

kiole

I'll preorder as many as possible and double my money and buy myself a new gun or a vacation. Nintendo is notorious with creating artificial shortages. Look at the new Mini NES

nmk and NewWaveGuy like this.
  9. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

Looks like they broke with tradition, there's going to be spoken dialogue in the new Zelda game.

10. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

This console breaks with tradition on the hardware level too. Totally new architecture, which wouldn't be something to get all that excited about except that Nintendo's been using the same guts for their systems since the Gamecube (this is why the Wii could play Gamecube natively, and the Wii U could play Wii natively. Actually, the Wii U can also play Gamecube natively, but Nintendo just doesn't let that happen. It can be done by hacking the console though.)

AFAIK, the downside to building the system around a new computer architecture is no native backwards compatibility. Some are speculating the Switch can handle Gamecube virtual console by emulation though. But the upside, at least what they've been saying, is that it will be much easier for 3rd party developers to make new games for this system, and port games from other systems. They certainly have a nice list of developers lined up w/ commitments to release games for it, but we'll see how that actually turns out. To be honest I usually just buy the Nintendo made games, so I've never really cared much about the 3rd party stuff.

11. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I got the kids PS4's, it is either mindcraft or COD's they play. Anything they can play head to head with each other. I don't let them get online with people, for obvious reasons.

12. PBCounty

PBCounty

Those controllers look awkward.

13. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

People buy Nintendo systems for the Nintendo franchise games. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc...
    They don't buy them for the latest Call of Duty or the like.

14. kiole

kiole

Then why did GameCube fail and WiiU? The Wii only did well because of the gimmick. The truth is most sat on a shelf covered in dust because of the lack of 3rd party support. It's the 3rd system in a row with no 3rd party support.

Nintendo is going to need third party support or the Switch will fail and Nintendo will become an tablet/phone developers or 3rd party developer. They continuously produce underpowered hardware and sell it at a premium price with some gimmick.

People want retro Nintendo games and new Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Smash Brothers etc. They also want to be able to play 3rd party games so they don't need 2 or 3 systems. This requires Nintendo to create a system with the horsepower to run AAA 3rd party titles. Also it requires them to provide a decent online network which they've failed to ever do. It's especially important now that they're charging for the service.

If 3rd party games aren't important it's odd Nintendo has spent a lot of time reassuring everyone those 3rd party games are coming to the Switch.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  15. PBCounty

PBCounty

Has Nintendo really been competing with the others with the Wii and Wii U? It seems to me that Nintendo was going for the really young and the "household" vs. the teen and twenties market. I mean, I'm sure they would have liked it all, but they didn't seem to be trying for it.

16. HarlDane

HarlDane

That's been my opinion as well. Nintendo's market is younger kids and their families and core fans of their classic titles like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

JMag likes this.
  17. kiole

kiole

Just pre-ordered three of them.

18. JMag

JMag

What's the MSRP?

Sent from my virtual ball & chain.

19. kiole

kiole

20. JMag

JMag