Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Blue Dot for my .500S&W Magnum with a homecast LEE 440gr. FNGC. My load of 20gr. of Blue Dot gets me about 1050-1090fps, per my chrony.
I'm thinking of increasing it to 22gr. of Blue Dot for a deer hunting load. It should hit a deer like 12ga. mag. slug load.

Anyone else use Blue Dot for their .500 S&W and willing to share some your loads?

Thanks!

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
I can't imagine a deer stopping that bullet with either charge weight, so I suppose you have to ask yourself how far you want it to stick in the mud after passing completely through...

:supergrin:

I've never loaded for the .500 mag, but I've tried Blue Dot in .44 mag, .357 mag and even 9mm. I never really found any loads that I thought were stellar. They sure did make a lot of noise and flash... To each his own. I'd love to see you come back and start a thread about the deer you killed with it. Waidmann's Heil! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it would penetrate that's for sure! I've got some Barnes 275gr. JHP loads I've heard that will really make a mess out of a deer, tear up too much meat.

Just need a nice 1/2 " or more hole all the way through Mr. Buck for a clean, humane kill.
These 440gr. bullets almost look like mini 55gr. drums with their shape. Good wide meplat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts