close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anyone else twitch in their sleep?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annoyedgrunt, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Because I do. Just as I am starting to drift off, and after I'm asleep, it's mostly my hands and arms that will twitch a little. Sometimes it will actually wake me up. If I was by myself it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it can be a pain for my wife, who often has to deal with been woken up by me doing this. And it really sucks because one of the most relaxing things you can do is to fall asleep with your wife in your arms- until you start twitching, and wake both her and you up.

I doubt that there is a "cure" for this kind of thing- it's probably just one of those things that you have to live with. But it would be sorta nice to know that I'm not alone in this.

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

It happens to my fiance all of the time. She tells me it only happens before she falls into a deeper than usual sleep.

It annoys the crap out of me too. :whistling:

3. Nords

Nords

Every other month or 2 it seems I get the "jerk yourself awake thinking you're falling" thing which wakes me up just the second I fall asleep.

its cool to know that that reaction is just an old, old instinct from when we lived in trees and that was a mechanism to catch yourself before falling to your death.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Every night. Arms and legs. My legs spasm so violently I've left bruises on my wife. I've actually "twitched" myself right on to the floor.

The cats and dogs have learned not to sleep any where near me because they may become airborne, The wife still hasnt learned.

5. Hartford

Hartford

I twitch sometimes.

6. epoxy252

epoxy252

[​IMG]
    You've got the Jimmy Legs

7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    There is a cure! More alcohol! (side affects may include heavy snoring)

8. Swiper

Swiper

Sometimes one of my lower legs will just kick straight up while I'm sleeping or trying to fall asleep (I sleep on my stomach).

9. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Alcohol is never the answer.

Well, sometimes it is... let me rephrase: getting plowed every night is not the answer!

And Lone Wolf- damn, man, it sounds like you have it worse than me. As funny as the mental image is of airborne cats and dogs, I'm sure it's not funny when you're trying to sleep. I, too, have occasionally hit my wife in my sleep. Mostly just swiping in her direction with an arm, but I feel bad about it in the morning, when she tells me about it.

10. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

I run (a lot!) - and when I'm ramping up distance (currently at about 70 miles per week) I do a lot of leg twitching. When ramping down or staying even - no twitching.

So, seems to be related to "tired and overworked legs" in my case.

kestrou

11. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Yeah. I've done some odd things while asleep.

My wife once tried to put her head on my chest and I stuck my little finger up her nose, then transitioned to a two finger nose hold, and drew back with my right hand like I was about to punch her.

I woke up to find this odd situation and a wife that looked totally shocked.

We still laugh about it.

Now she sends a hand over to test the waters before trying to get close.

12. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

I have insomnia also. Go figure. And since I've twitched all my life, only the worst ones wake me up. And it also happens when I'm not asleep, any time I'm relaxed a leg or arm may jump, usually though, not nearly as violently.

I'm also one of those who cant seem to be still very often. I'm always getting "the look" from the wife because my leg is bouncing around.

13. Historian

This got me thinking about other odd things that have happened.

I once threw a pillow high into the air and it came down right on top her her. There she was sleeping away not a care in the world ad then she was bombed.

14. SteadyGlock

SteadyGlock

Yep, I do it too. I also have sleep apnea, and the twitching is often related to that because the extremities aren't getting the oxygen they need (or something like that.) If you snore and twitch, you need to go get in touch with a sleep clinic and get tested. Apnea has been linked to all kinds of deadly ailments, especially later in life. Look it up with a Google search. Good luck.

15. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Annoyedgrunt and others:

I have something even worse. While asleep, I dream (? or something) that an explosion or other extremely loud noise occurs. I scream and immediately wake up, with pounding heart. It drives my wife crazy as it wakes her up also. I can usually go back to sleep easily thereafter. I have no idea what causes it. I do not think it's related to stress, because it can happen when I'm not stressed, and vice versa. Quien sabe?

16. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

ooooh, do I ever twitch. And talk. And walk. And hit people. I'm sure I'm a barrel of laughs to live with. :rollingeyes:

17. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

I twitch before I fall asleep too. Not nearly as annoying as my night terrors to my wife. I once bit her while having one when she tried to cover my mouth so I wouldn't wake our infant son.

Thankfully, they are few & far between.

The last night terror I had was on duty at the firehouse. I woke myself up screaming bloody murder as usual.

I lay there a few minutes thinking that I had to have awakened the other two firefighters on duty that night. Sure enough, I hear them talking in the hall outside my door. "Should we check on him & see if he's alright?" "Hell no, he'll kill us both!".

:rofl:

We had a good laugh over it at breakfast.

18. Historian

If I'm feeling sick that's when the odd things tend to happen. The wife says I've mumbled about work before but she's never been able to get any information out of me. It's never clear what I say.

She did ask me about an ostrich once and neither of us have any idea why in the middle of he night I said, "Quick, we have to catch the ostrich!"

Considering I've never seen one in person.

She's also seen me do various types of reloads (with just my hands) in my sleep.

19. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Historian, the other night, VR woke me to tell me I was grinding my teeth. I went right back to sleep, but apparently it took him awhile. Just as he was falling asleep I yelled out really loud "JAY!!!!" he said "WHAT??!!" and I said "Oh...nevermind, I thought I heard you hitting Sam" and rolled right back over.

:rofl:

20. rtk

rtk

Try adding a magnesium supplement to your diet. I have suffered from the same issue when training for marathons and ultras and have found this to calm the problem.

RTK