Glock Talk banner

Do you usually carry a semi automatic pistol with a red dot?

• Yes

Votes: 72 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 346 82.8%
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

· Registered
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess i am old fashioned but I still carry a semi automatic pistol without a red dot. Just wondering if any others are doing the same. I did put one on my HK VP9 recently along with the long slide conversion kit. I kind of like it for range shooting but no plans for one on a carry gun. Heck I still carry my unmodified Gen 2 Glock 19 other than having a Grip Force adapter at the back of the grip. Not trying to create discussion about pros/cons of red dot on carry pistol but comments welcome, just wondering about how many are vs are not. I typically conceal carry my Gen 2 Glock 19 or original Walther PPS IWB in a single clip kydex holster. Less often I carry my HK P30SK.

· NRA Benefactor
6,130 Posts
At the ranges most prescribe as valid SD ranges, I don't think I would have time to try to find a red dot in some cases. Plus you are adding another possible source of failure. My EDC's are J frame revolvers most of the time so it's open sights and lots of practice point shooting, just in case.

· Registered
39,630 Posts
Since I haven't been buying any new retirement CCW weapons in recent years, I don't have any that came equipped with, or milled for, RDS. No need for me at this time.

Now, if I were still actively working, it would be a different story. My former agency went from approving optional RDS units installed on personally-owned duty weapons, to issuing new weapons that came factory-equipped with RDS units. I'm told that a growing number of guys & gals have been ordering their own RDS-equipped off-duty weapons, or at least those with milled slides to install RDS units. It's the growing trend. Of course, that meant that the instructor staff was required to attend training to be able to teach the effective use of RDS-equipped weapons, and armorers repair problems (mostly due to early weaknesses in screws and some mounting plates among different manufacturers).

At this point in time, if I were to buy a new retirement CCW pistol, it would likely be a Shield 9 or 40, and it wouldn't be equipped with a RDS unit. Obviously, if I added yet another J-frame or SP101 to my collection, it wouldn't have a RDS. ;)

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,857 Posts
No carry dots here either.
I have a G40 MOS with a dot on it. It’s accurate and the dot really helps with accuracy past 30-35 yards.
For SD ranges though, I’m not any faster over irons so my carry guns stay as they are. Anyway, none of my carry guns are cut for a red dot, so I can’t justify the extra expense.

Reactions: Randy Mac

· Registered
2,470 Posts
As of this writing, less than 15% of responders have red dots on their carry pistols. That is what I would have expected. I have a red dot on only one pistol, and it is not a carry pistol at all. It is going to be quite a while before red dots are in the majority.

· Registered
5,839 Posts
Voted no.

Until they make one that's a 20gigawatt incinerating laser, not on a pistol. No recoil, but I'm getting too old to lug around the backpack battery that's going to be needed. But it should pass Biden's gun litmus test: a few minutes between shots for recharge should disqualify it as semi-automatic.

· Premium Member
234 Posts
I hunt with my Glock 40 with a vortex venom on it. I also have a Walther PDP with a Holosun, I use it mainly for plinking. my EDC is my Glock 29 and a Walther PPK/S! I have found when I conceal one of my red dot equipped guns, the dot gets covered in lint real quick and it's very distracting! just want to add that I am more accurate with a red dot at distances over 15 yards

Reactions: PTSdog

· On the Border
16,817 Posts
At the ranges most prescribe as valid SD ranges, I don't think I would have time to try to find a red dot in some cases. Plus you are adding another possible source of failure. My EDC's are J frame revolvers most of the time so it's open sights and lots of practice point shooting, just in case.
The dot is up on top of the gun, same as irons. Only difference is you can't see the dot until the gun is almost fully mounted. If the dot isn't on target when you present the gun, your mechanics are bad.

And no, I don't carry a dot.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts